2010 Pregnancy updates 255243
married momof3 resident2008 237639
illegal immigration and impact on medical field 225646
Affirmative action debate FINALLY invades Mommd 185179
Don't Quit This Day Job -- NYT op-ed 155711
Managing debt out of residency 146851
The "applying to med school this year" support thread 141737
Who's Online
2 registered (makzihan, alsace), 321 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#37762 - 08/07/09 05:51 PM getting into med school with a bachelors of nursing
dazedmommy Offline

Loc: hudson, fl
is it possible to get into a med school with a bachelors in nursing because it is in a science i wanted to do that to leave my options open so i can be a nurse practiceioner if i can not do med school that is my ultimate goal but i'm afraid it will be too hard to do with a family any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you

#37763 - 08/07/09 06:03 PM Re: getting into med school with a bachelors of nursing
babylove Offline
Elite Member

Loc: chicago
Most likely not--the reason is that nursing programs usually have special science courses for nurses. These do not fulfill the requirement for entry to medical school.

If you want to leave your options open, take the regular science courses geared towards science majors/pre-meds. This would be 2 years of chemistry, 1 year of physics, 1 year of bio , and 1 sememster of calculus

#37764 - 08/07/09 06:08 PM Re: getting into med school with a bachelors of nursing
dazedmommy Offline

Loc: hudson, fl
i am taking all of the pre-reqs for the schools med program that i want to go to as well should i call the admissions dept at the school?

#37765 - 08/07/09 11:07 PM Re: getting into med school with a bachelors of nursing
Cabinbuilder Offline
Super Elite Member

Loc: Oregon
Yes, you can get into medical school with a BS in nursing. You just have to make sure you take the required pre-req's for medical school as stated above. You don't need another degree. I have a doctor friend whose bachelor's is in nursing as he worked as a nurse for 7 years before going to medical school. Also, you do not have to have a science degree to go to medical school. You can have any 4 year degree as long as you have the additional required courses.

Need help with your personal statement? Feel free to PM me any time for assistance.

#37766 - 08/13/09 04:50 PM Re: getting into med school with a bachelors of nursing
futureMrsMD Offline
Plus Member

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Yes, you most certainly can get your BSN and still go to med school afterwards. That was my original plan because I also wanted to keep my options open. I got 1 class away from applying into a nursing program for my BSN, and I met with an advisor at the 4 yr university and they discouraged me from my decision. That was because they HATE sending people through a competitive nursing program knowing once they are RN's, they won't work as one. They are basically using their nursing degree as a stepping stool for something bigger, you know what I mean?? Although it'll be nicer to know more than your fellow classmates in med school about the human body and medicine in general, the bad part is that you'll be stuck doing an extra 2-3 years worth of pre-med classes. That's a lot of time and money. I'm glad I got to shave those years off my education plan. smile
BUT if you do decide you want to go that route, be sure not to let anyone (in the nursing admissions office) know of your decision, so they don't frown on your idea and keep you from getting in. Just a thought! :wave:

#37767 - 08/13/09 11:04 PM Re: getting into med school with a bachelors of nursing
EarthSky Offline
Plus Member

Loc: Texas
When I first went to college, I didn't know that you could get a bachelors in nursing (yes, we were THAT ignorant of education beyond high school). I wish I'd known because I probably would have pursued the BSN instead of the biology/pre-med degree.

So I didn't get the BSN, and I didn't get into med school right away. Then "life happened", and I didn't have nursing to fall back on.

And a bachelors degree in biology isn't worth much unless you plan to be a teacher or pursue further education.

#37768 - 08/14/09 08:13 PM Re: getting into med school with a bachelors of nursing
asunshine Offline
Super Elite Member

I would get the BSN and take a year or two to work as a nurse before you start med school. The experience and perspective is invaluable, and you have a chance to check out another health care career that you might like better anyway. Plus you can save up during that time and also spend more time with your kids.

I was a nurse for 4 years before starting med school. Med school was much easier for me with that kind of background--I think my grades and boards scores would have been worse if I was a fresh 22-year-old with no health care experience. Oh, and I was premed and nursing major in college (had to finish some premed classes post-bacc). I didn't advertise it until senior year because I was truly undecided, but the dept didn't give me any grief about it. I don't feel bad for "using nursing as a stepping stone" since I really needed those years to sort out what I wanted to do, and was glad to put in some time as a nurse. I will keep my RN license renewed til I die probably--it is something to be proud of in my book smile , even when I am practicing as a physician.

#37769 - 09/16/09 03:39 PM Re: getting into med school with a bachelors of nursing
NataliePX Offline

Loc: L.A., CA
I graduated from college in the nineties. Took the prereqs and didn't do well back then. I'm thinking of taking them now but I took a quarter of biochem about 3 years ago. Should I still start with General Chemistry? Can I?

I'll probably practice as a nurse for the rest of my career because I really blew it in school years ago and don't think I have a realistic chance of getting in. I do like nursing. However, if I bite the bullet and apply anyway in the fall of 2011 for the entering 2012 class, should I start re-taking the general chemistry, et al. classes now?

I would appreciate any feedback!

#37770 - 09/16/09 04:12 PM Re: getting into med school with a bachelors of nursing
Backatit Offline

Loc: Santa Rosa, CA
Me too Natalie. So I am taking the classes over and some new ones to make sure I have everything. Will redo some chemistry and will take organic chem and physics next year. This year I am taking cell bio and chem and math. I really feel getting A's is what I need so this is why I am going this route. Plus it was a really long time ago, I don't think I can adequately prepare for the MCAT with classes I took in the early 90s.

Will take MCAT in Spring/Summer 2011 too. Let's keep in touch.

Good luck!

Reyana