2010 Pregnancy updates 267560
married momof3 resident2008 250915
illegal immigration and impact on medical field 239844
Affirmative action debate FINALLY invades Mommd 196863
Don't Quit This Day Job -- NYT op-ed 166681
Managing debt out of residency 152435
The "applying to med school this year" support thread 148792
Who's Online
1 registered (Administrator), 392 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 15 of 19 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 >
Topic Options
#41743 - 12/13/05 09:04 PM Re: Anyone else on Clomid?
GatsbyJo Offline

If your temps were steady, you probably weren't ovulating. Berkleyite is a poster on here who has a LOT more experience temping.

I would just consider picking up the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility and consider using one of the online ways of keeping track. I really regret not doing this sooner. If you don't like temping, there are some other good ways to predict ovulation.

I took provera (similar to progesterone) for 10 days, and got my period 3-4 days after. I think it can be pretty variable and I don't think you will bleed until you stop the progesterone. I think it is the drop in progesterone that signals shedding of the uterine lining. But there are lots of ladies here who know more than myself! HTH>

#41744 - 12/13/05 09:19 PM Re: Anyone else on Clomid?
drvicky Offline

Loc: home
Gatsby , I am really sorry that you did not get the results you were hoping for. i agree with the other posts, if your not entirely comfortable with your ob maybe you should find one that is in the office more. I love me RE because he is available by email and answers you the same day. Being able to contact them gives you some control. My heart and prayers are with you!! We are all here for you.

#41745 - 12/14/05 05:31 AM Re: Anyone else on Clomid?
GatsbyJo Offline

Vicky, Thank you! I think I just want some answers as to what the u/s means. When the nurse calls today with the beta, I'm going to ask her to have my doc call tomorrow (a day she is in the office) to explain things. If they resist that, I'll just switch docs. Although, I'm getting to know the nurses and they were so good to me yesterday after they finally caved in and did the beta.

I just want to know if its even reasonable to hope for a baby in all this. I know there is always another chance, and I still think I could be getting more answers now than I have been.

#41746 - 12/14/05 06:21 AM Re: Anyone else on Clomid?
tigress Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
GatsbyJo, good luck on your hcg results. I really hope the doctor and nurses start leveling with you.

mrssd, usually you take progesterone (Provera) for 5-10 days, then stop taking it and start bleeding a few days to a week later. This mimics our natural progesterone surge followed by decrease, which is what leads to menstruation. I'm not quite sure I understand, though, if they are expecting you to bleed while on the Provera. You have to actually stop it before you start bleeding. Unless they are using it for something else entirely. What dose are you on?

As far as your hormone levels going up on day 14, how long was your cycle before you started birth control? Mine, for example, was 34 days, so my hormone levels would never have gone up on day 14. Most REs will test a progesterone level on cd21 after a round of Clomid, because that's far enough along that just about everybody should have ovulated by then. If your levels don't go up by day 14, it may just mean you have a longer cycle.

Many, many people do not start menstruating normally after stopping the pill. Sometimes it takes a few months. I never did start ovulating, but that's pretty unusual. I know some people that start the very next month, and others for whom it took 3-4 months. I think anything more than that is worthy of concern, though. In any case you're young (my age), which was at least some consolation to me smile

Good luck!

#41747 - 12/14/05 09:27 AM Re: Anyone else on Clomid?
mrssd Offline

I am taking prometrium 200mg. The nurse said that if I did start to bleed on the pills I should stop, otherwise just take the 12 days.
I am not really sure of how long my cycles were before I started OCPs. I began them at 16 to stop some bad premenstrual symptoms and cycle irregularity and then I met my husband in college and never went off them. I really feel terrible that I had no knowledge that my body could just stop working on its own. I would have never stayed on the pill this long if I had known. But my Ob just said that she would draw hormone levels but she didn't tell me which cd. I am supposed to call when I start so we can figure it out.
Thanks for all of the support, I am finding this forum very comforting--my husband has such a happy positive attitude that he doesn't want me to even think negative thoughts or talk about what if.

#41748 - 12/14/05 01:10 PM Re: Anyone else on Clomid?
GatsbyJo Offline

mrssd, I wouldn't really worry that your body has stopped working completely. I think your body just has to establish its own hormone patterns after being supplement so long. If you went on it for menstrual pain, you may have actually done yourself a big favor by being on the pill for a while.

I have met a lot of women who take a few months to get regular after the pill. Maybe just keep track from when you start bleeding after the prometrium, and see how the next cycle or two goes. If it makes you feel any better at all, I have gone 10-12 months without a period, and still ovulated ones I had the right meds in place. So, its definitely not hopeless! (FWIW, mine wasn't due to the pill, so I doubt it will take you that long to get a cycle together).

#41749 - 12/14/05 06:21 PM Re: Anyone else on Clomid?
drvicky Offline

Loc: home
gatsby, did you get your beta results. i have my fingers crossed for you

#41750 - 12/15/05 05:54 AM Re: Anyone else on Clomid?
GatsbyJo Offline

Vicky & everyone,

My beta went up to 1802 on Tuesday, it was only 30 last monday. I'm really happy with that. Also, at 1800 I don't think the u/s should show more than a gestational sac. We would be more concerned if the beta were much, much higher and we saw nothing. But this is on par with the beta, so thats good.

I wonder when we'll stop feeling like we're still trying to get pregnant. I mean, when infertility/subbfertility is part of your life-I've known since high school that I would have trouble, and my mother never had another baby after me except through adoption--when it is part of your way of thinking, how do you accept that it might be okay to let your hopes up a little? I don't know if 5 wks pg is the right time to get hopes up, but I do think this is a really positive thing and I need to accept it as such.

We are debating doing another u/s sometime near New Years. I would really like to see whats going on by then, but I wonder if that is really necessary and if its the best thing for us. If we schedule it, I know we'll just delay feeling pg another 3 weeks, you know? There is just nothing to make me think somethings going wrong right now. Beta is good. No cramps & no spots. That covers it, right?

Vicky, do you go in for a blood test next week or will you be peeing on sticks at home?

mrssd, how are finals going? I'm an ms2 also, and we have 1 more final, but its just a little one, part of a year-long course.

#41751 - 12/15/05 06:40 AM Re: Anyone else on Clomid?
tigress Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
Hooray, GatsbyJo!!! That's awesome news! I completely understand what you mean about how you feel. I felt that way for over a week, even after knowing that my hcg rose nicely. In any case I don't anymore, because yesterday we saw the heartbeat :cloud9: I think an ultrasound around New Years would probably be a great idea for you. It really is harder to believe it, and then be calm enough about it, after struggling with fertility.

#41752 - 12/15/05 08:40 AM Re: Anyone else on Clomid?
mrssd Offline

Congratulations GatsbyJo and tigress! GatsbyJo—give yourself permission to be calm and happy--you are pregnant. An u/s at New Years or probably even a bit before should show you a heartbeat and that should help to ease your mind. I will be praying happy thoughts for you.
As for finals…we take one giant test on one day for finals in Fall semester so my big test is tomorrow (Friday). I have been a little distracted from studying so now that the day before the test has come I am feeling a little nervous about it. My husband and I are going to visit our families for 2 weeks starting on Saturday and I am looking forward to getting away from the stress and worries of school and baby making for a few days.

Page 15 of 19 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 >