2010 Pregnancy updates 267337
married momof3 resident2008 250828
illegal immigration and impact on medical field 239697
Affirmative action debate FINALLY invades Mommd 196715
Don't Quit This Day Job -- NYT op-ed 166554
Managing debt out of residency 152325
The "applying to med school this year" support thread 148649
Who's Online
0 registered (), 327 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#56264 - 06/12/08 08:39 PM Re: D.O.s and Future D.O.s
occdoc Offline

Loc: Quincy, Illinois
I'm a D.O. and really like the focus on holistic concern for the whole person. It provides an extra dimension to health care that patients seem to really respond to.
I practice Occupational Medicine and have enjoyed this field. It is family friendly and typically there is no call. The field is growing and very rewarding.

#56265 - 06/16/08 01:26 PM Re: D.O.s and Future D.O.s
Striving2succeed Offline
Elite Member

Loc: Florida
Any OMS or alumni from Nova, LECOM-Bradenton, or PCOM-Ga?
Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

#56266 - 07/13/08 06:23 PM Re: D.O.s and Future D.O.s
hilseb Offline

Loc: Edge of the Everglades, FL
I am a second year at Nova.

#56267 - 12/26/08 09:18 PM Re: D.O.s and Future D.O.s
rianah100 Offline
Elite Member

Loc: Minneapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by hilseb:
I am a second year at Nova.
hilseb,
Do you have any kids?

#56268 - 12/28/08 10:38 AM Re: D.O.s and Future D.O.s
rianah100 Offline
Elite Member

Hi,
I am accepted at NSU and just wondering if there are any Moms here who attend NSU.

#56269 - 03/02/09 02:06 AM Re: D.O.s and Future D.O.s
Melbelle Offline
Elite Member

Loc: Oregon
Hi!

I am getting ready to apply to osteopathic medical school this summer. I haven't been able to find many D.O.s in my area to connect with, but from what I've read and the few conversations I have had, it seems like a great route. I like the idea of having an additional tool to treat the patient with, and the emphasis on maintaining a healthy body rather than medicating disease.

Anyone love their school and want to recommend it? smile

#56270 - 03/02/09 06:35 PM Re: D.O.s and Future D.O.s
rianah100 Offline
Elite Member

Hi Melbelle,
I had great success with D.O. schools this year. I interviewed and got accepted at NSU, RVU, LECOM-B, UMDNJ and DMU. UMDNJ and DMU are both great schools and once I got accepted, I stopped interviewing. PM me if you need more details.

#56271 - 03/07/09 09:45 AM Re: D.O.s and Future D.O.s
SW to MD Offline
Super Elite Member

Loc: Midwest
Just found out recently that I will be starting at UWSMPH this fall- super excited! We have family in the area and lived in Madison during my first undergrad, so it is a natural choice.

Melbelle- I interviewed at LECOM-E, DMU, KCUMB, KCOM, TUCOM-NV, and MWU-CCOM and was accepted at all-PM me if you would like any info.

Good luck!

#56272 - 04/19/09 09:00 PM Re: D.O.s and Future D.O.s
Hyacinth Offline

Loc: United States
I have just logged on to this forum. I am 34 and have two young children; 5 and 2. I am currently in graduate school working towards my Master's in Family Therapy. I am currently part of the Psychiatric and Behavioral Sciences department of a local medical school. I am starting my second year and will begin my practicuum working in a local hospital as a medical family therapy intern.

Being in the program has only enhanced my lifelong desire to attend medical school. I have 4 doctors, 1 nurse and a PA in my family and they all seem to think that I cannot do it. I beg to differ. In fact, I have decided to apply to the one and only DO school here in GA. It is GA-PCOM. I am going to start taking the last few prerequisite classes required this fall. I refuse to let anyone tell me that I cannot do it. I have an extremely supportive husband who encourages my applying and talking long and hard about what it would entail.

I have and always have had an unexplained passion for medicine, diagnostics and helping people understand the signals of the body from a disease perspective. I feel it is time.

I know that I am throwing all of my chances into one basket by applying to only one school but I am not willing to relocate at this time. If I don't get in, I have plans up to the letter Z but I will get in someday.

Glad that I found a place to voice my strong desire to be a Mother in Medicine.

Greetings to all!

#56273 - 05/22/09 06:40 PM Re: D.O.s and Future D.O.s
AnneKathryn Offline

Loc: Kirksville, MO
I currently attend KCOM and I'm 5 months pregnant. It's a great school and I highly recommend it. I'm very happy with my education and the entire community is so supportive. It's not easy, but it's totally worth it. Let me know if you have questions.

Anne

Quote:
Originally posted by Melbelle:
Hi!

I am getting ready to apply to osteopathic medical school this summer. I haven't been able to find many D.O.s in my area to connect with, but from what I've read and the few conversations I have had, it seems like a great route. I like the idea of having an additional tool to treat the patient with, and the emphasis on maintaining a healthy body rather than medicating disease.

Anyone love their school and want to recommend it? smile

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >