2010 Pregnancy updates 258787
married momof3 resident2008 240701
illegal immigration and impact on medical field 229512
Affirmative action debate FINALLY invades Mommd 188492
Don't Quit This Day Job -- NYT op-ed 158917
Managing debt out of residency 148084
The "applying to med school this year" support thread 143121
Who's Online
1 registered (niash), 265 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 23 of 31 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 30 31 >
Topic Options
#56722 - 11/05/06 12:22 AM Re: MomMD Member Mosaic - Introductions and Reintroductions!!
Lagniappe Offline

Greetings, everyone!

I'm 34, have been married for 12 years, have two children (ages 9 & 6), and have been a pharmacist for 11 years. I'm a pharmacist by default: I always planned on being an MD but bowed to family pressure and didn't go pre-med in college ("You need to get a degree in a field you can actually WORK in, just in case you don't get into med school"). Of course, after going to college year-round for five years, working, and planning a wedding, I was burned out and exhausted by the time I graduated, so I convinced myself I could be happy being a pharmacist and never even bothered taking the MCAT. Fast forward 11 years. I have a supportive husband, wonderful kids, and a great job that depresses me every day because it is unfulfilling. I'm tired of trying to will myself into contentment as a pharmacist - I have a lot of working years ahead of me, so I've finally made the decision to do what I should have done a very long time ago and am applying to medical school for 2008.

I'm looking forward to getting to know y'all!

#56723 - 11/28/06 04:08 PM Re: MomMD Member Mosaic - Introductions and Reintroductions!!
healing hands Offline

Loc: tampa
:wave: hi my name is crystal, and i am 23 yrs old. i currently attending a community college and will be a juinor in january. :crossfingers: i am basically finished with my general ed requirements and in about 1yr i will be preparing for my mcat.i know i want to become a surgeon but sometimes i feel so exhausted. although i have no kids.but anyway i volunteer for a hospital and i love it...a friend of mine suggested that if i really want experience i should volunteer in an er?? what do u guys think?

#56724 - 12/04/06 12:46 AM Re: MomMD Member Mosaic - Introductions and Reintroductions!!
Lisa L Offline

Loc: SC
Hi Crystal,
Well, let me tell you this: if you step in to an ER in any capacity (volunteer, ER tech, student, paid professional) you will see a whole other realm of medicine than you've seen yet. I have been a practicing PA in outpatient family & urgent care medicine for the past 6 years and none of that prepared me for ER medicine. I thought I knew poor. Oh, I'd only seen people who were a little poor, not the poorest of the poor I'm seeing now, people who literally wear the same socks until they rot away because they don't have any others, who have known nothing but generations of poverty and can't even imagine any other life. It's depressing. We try to do some good but sometimes all we offer is a few hours of shelter and comfort and maybe a "meal" (white bread sandwich, chips, a soda).
But you will also see trauma, and real illness, and lots of precious little kids and sweet old ladies, and dirty old men, and kind old men, and drunks and druggies, and the psychotic, and the sore throats and runny noses who just want a work excuse. I think ER may be the most democratic of medicine just because we see all comers. And it's probably not a bad place for you to get your feet wet and your eyes (and ears, and nose!) opened and to see if this is really for you.
Good luck!
Lisa PA-C

Quote:
Originally posted by healing hands:
:wave: hi my name is crystal, and i am 23 yrs old. i currently attending a community college and will be a juinor in january. :crossfingers: i am basically finished with my general ed requirements and in about 1yr i will be preparing for my mcat.i know i want to become a surgeon but sometimes i feel so exhausted. although i have no kids.but anyway i volunteer for a hospital and i love it...a friend of mine suggested that if i really want experience i should volunteer in an er?? what do u guys think?

#56725 - 12/26/06 07:35 PM Re: MomMD Member Mosaic - Introductions and Reintroductions!!
kiekie007 Offline

Loc: Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Hello everyone! I am a 31 yr old single mother of a 2 yr old ball of energy that is my heart. I am in my second year of studies at York University in Toronto. I am majoring in Kinesiology with a minor in Spanish. I plan to apply to med school in 2009 and I am scared outta my wits! :boggled: But still I plug along. Since I am in the Arts stream in my program I will be enrolling in a MCAT course this coming summer in hopes of preparing myself for the exam next fall or spring of 2008.

I think this site is excellent and I hope that it will aid in calming my nerves!
Have a safe and blessed holiday season.

#56726 - 12/28/06 05:24 PM Re: MomMD Member Mosaic - Introductions and Reintroductions!!
Mitch Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Hey Kiekie! I sent you a PM. Check your inbox!

Cheers,
Michelle

#56727 - 01/06/07 04:01 PM Re: MomMD Member Mosaic - Introductions and Reintroductions!!
drpurple Offline

Loc: New Yorkish
Hi, I'm a 4th year med student, in my fourth year of marriage, hoping to be a child psychiatrist and a mom one day. I stumbled on this site when trying to decide when to start a family. Probably will be sticking around the New York area for the next few years or so.

#56728 - 01/23/07 12:55 AM Re: MomMD Member Mosaic - Introductions and Reintroductions!!
Elena Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Hi, my name's Elena. I am 22, married with a son who's 6 months old. I was pre-med in college and am now in grad school and am applying to med school this year. I am so thankful for all of you and your stories. I am worried I suppose about handling med school and still having time for my child.

#56729 - 02/01/07 07:44 PM Re: MomMD Member Mosaic - Introductions and Reintroductions!!
nikarose Offline

Hi! I am Veronica and I am a pre-med in Texas. I will probably do a texas med school (really like utmb) for the in state tuition. i definently have the supermom complex going on. i want to be married, have kids, and be a pediatrician. so far its been an interesting road but my family is incredibly (and possibly overly) supportive of my goals. any advice on pediatrics would be great. I am definently thinking of doing adolescent medicine. I am a psychology major and went back and forth between PhD in psych and med school for a while. I tried really hard to let the med school thing go but i just couldnt quite do that.

#56730 - 02/08/07 09:07 AM Re: MomMD Member Mosaic - Introductions and Reintroductions!!
Tia Offline

Loc: New York
Hi my name is Tia. I am a 21 year old mom who has recently decided to follow my heart and intuition and become a Doctor. I like chemistry and some parts of biology. My son is four and he is part of the reason why I want to be a doctor. The thought of being a doctor both excites and scares me. Has anyone else felt that way?

#56731 - 02/12/07 11:44 AM Re: MomMD Member Mosaic - Introductions and Reintroductions!!
Ann Dimapilis Offline

Loc: work
My name is Ann. This is a re-introduction... I think I was one of the first members of MomMD (right, Sethina?) and actually, Sethina and I arranged to meet in the airport in Los Angeles... I'll try to find that picture!

Anyway, I am a 44 y/o mom of 2 boys, who are now 11 and just turned 14, wife of an internist in solo practice and I am a full-time family physician. I am also (still) Associate Director for the Family Medicine residency in our institution. I was formerly a member of the Advisory Board for MomMD. In the last 4 years have gone through a lot of changes, including: an ovarian cancer scare and subsequent surgery, an attempt to start/maintain a business because of my frustration with medicine, and near bankruptcy. I'm not sure what everyone would like to hear about now, so let me know.

I do want to say that the members of MomMD got me through my first Thanksgiving that I had to cook the turkey (my parents were out of the country)... I had the turkey, but realized on the Wednesday morning before Thanksgiving, that it should probably no longer be in the freezer!!! Thanks to all of the suggestions from MomMD-ers, I saw patients on Wednesday and still had turkey on Thursday!!! For that, I am ever grateful!

Page 23 of 31 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 30 31 >