2010 Pregnancy updates 255115
married momof3 resident2008 237412
illegal immigration and impact on medical field 225545
Affirmative action debate FINALLY invades Mommd 185050
Don't Quit This Day Job -- NYT op-ed 155566
Managing debt out of residency 146796
The "applying to med school this year" support thread 141684
Who's Online
1 registered (erfp), 319 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 16 of 39 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 38 39 >
Topic Options
#65223 - 09/05/08 12:09 AM Re: McCain's MomVP
aurora Offline
Elite Member

Loc: Bay Area, California
Joe Biden has a reputation of being insulting. A CNN story said, Joe Biden "has a well-earned reputation for impetuous and brutally honest remarks." Does anyone remember what he said about Barack? He's "the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy."

I didn't hear one word about Biden's own policies in his speech. All I heard was a list of his family's names, a sappy biography, and "John McCain was wrong. Barack Obama was right." I'm not complaining. That's what I expected from a convention speech.

#65224 - 09/05/08 01:22 AM Re: McCain's MomVP
futuredrandwife Offline

Loc: new york
Quote:
Originally posted by AnnaM:
I loved the speech, and agree with aurora on the purpose of convention speeches. I loved the line about selling the Alaska governor's private plane on EBay, which she apparently actually did. One thing that absolutely amazes me is that liberal feminists have been telling all of us for years that we can have it all, be moms and be successful in business, politics, medicine, or whatever we want to do, and when someone like Sarah Palin actually proves that it is possible, she gets shot down as being unfit or as neglecting her family by the very women who have been telling us all along to go for it. She is standing up to the critics with grace and grit and I love it. Did you know that her teleprompter went out on her just before she started the speech and apparently cut in an out all throughout the speech? You couldn't tell at all. In addition, I thought little Piper Palin was just too cute for words while holding her little brother and smoothing out his hair.
I agree 100%. I was broken-hearted that the liberals and democrats suddenly turned on women. I'm a Republican woman but one thing I always respected about Democrats was their pro-women ideologies. That has since gone down the tube now that a woman is on the Republican ticket. This is THE definition of hypocritical. Very sad and disheartening.

#65225 - 09/05/08 02:39 AM Re: McCain's MomVP
twinmom Offline
Super Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by futuredrandwife:
I was broken-hearted that the liberals and democrats suddenly turned on women.
Wait, wait, wait. That seems to be a bit sexist to assume that we'd all jump over to the Republican ticket just because she's a woman. In fact, when I didn't know anything about her other than that she had a houseful of kids and was the Republican governor of Alaska (e.g., last week), I was really pleased that a woman was nominated, even if I cynically thought it might be to draw Hillary supporters out. Then I heard more about her:
-Doesn't believe in global warning
-Wants to drill in ANWR
-Fires people who disagree with her (this stuff gives me bad flashbacks of our current administration and its cult of loyalty)
-Didn't oppose the "bridge to nowhere" till it was politically expedient
-abstinence-only sex ed

Seriously? Democrats are supposed to go for this?

Honestly, when McCain emerged as the Republican nominee my husband and I were so excited that we would finally have an election that didn't get Willie Horton/Swift-boated into being about who you wanted to get a beer with. One where we could rationally argue about the issues and then people could choose the person based on those issues, much as we're trying to do here. Then the whispering about Obama's religious beliefs started an all-out mudslinging fest. Personally, I think everyone's too afraid to actually get into the issues for a wide variety of reasons that go back to the 60's. (Possibly before? My dad tells me a story from his childhood where he got a stern lecture after saying something positive about Eisenhower.)

Okay, now back to our regularly scheduled argument over the role of government in the modern era.

PS-Husband and I thought that the best part of the speech last night was Piper Palin, too. He felt that they should've kept the camera on her the whole time. Did not like her speech at all. OTOH, I felt Michelle Obama's speech was so flawless (best of the DNC), I was sad it wasn't her running, and Hillary Clinton's speech was the perfect speech for the situation. So, once again... not a woman issue, it's an ideology issue.

#65226 - 09/05/08 03:11 AM Re: McCain's MomVP
Doc201X Online   content
Super Elite Member

Loc: Hot a$$ Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by AnnaM:
Did you know that her teleprompter went out on her just before she started the speech and apparently cut in an out all throughout the speech? You couldn't tell at all.
That's her former beauty Pageant traiing at work! wink

#65227 - 09/05/08 03:17 AM Re: McCain's MomVP
aurora Offline
Elite Member

Loc: Bay Area, California
I think that perhaps futuredrandwife is referring to Palin and her family being ripped apart for issues related to her daughter and special-needs baby. Blatantly sexist attacks have been made already.

Considering you're attending Obama events, I'm not surprised you didn't like the speech. I'm curious what excited you about McCain? What role did the religion-talk have on your decision?

#65228 - 09/05/08 03:28 AM Re: McCain's MomVP
AnnaM Offline
Super Elite Member

Loc: midwest
No, I don't expect Democrats to support her policies, but so much of the criticism that has been leveled at her revolves around her family responsibilities and her ability to handle high office.

#65229 - 09/05/08 04:19 AM Re: McCain's MomVP
twinmom Offline
Super Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aurora:

Considering you're attending Obama events, I'm not surprised you didn't like the speech. I'm curious what excited you about McCain? What role did the religion-talk have on your decision?
At the risk of sounding like Kerry (whom I voted for as not-Bush, rather than someone I was excited about), Senator McCain really did do some good bipartisan work. He *was* the greenest of the Republicans. He tended to talk about issues pretty well. He urged caution in getting into war. If he'd stayed like that, this could've been a good election, talking about our differences in policy ideas and working toward a common solution.

By the way, the Obama rally was mostly for the kids. They're really into him. Way back at the beginning, I showed them the NY Times page that had all of the candidates from both parties. After we patiently explained that in fact it was "Dennis" and not "Dentist" they were really pro-Hillary, since they believe that a woman would be a better president than a man. (Perhaps they're right.) I asked about each of the others in turn and they weren't too thrilled. Once Obama was nominated, we showed the boys a picture of him and his family, and they were instantly enamored. (I think it's the family shot.) Now they point out every Obama bumper sticker, every photo of him, everything. They still love Hillary. When Bill Clinton was speaking last week, they asked who he was. We said, "That's Bill Clinton. He used to be president." One son's eyes got wide, and asked "Is he Hillary's HUSBAND?" He was so impressed. But they run around the house going "yes we can" all the time. I have fond memories of the presidents I've seen (Carter and Clinton), and my dad tells me about seeing JFK up close when he was a kid.

As for religion, I've pretty much accepted that the closest any president's ever going to come to my personal theological beliefs was Carter. He went to my grandparents' church while he was president - they always say they'd been there 25 years by the time he showed up! (I'm not Baptist, though, I'm conservative Presbyterian. They're pretty annoyed.) So I don't really care. I'm not voting for a pastor. I'm voting for president.

#65230 - 09/05/08 05:46 AM Re: McCain's MomVP
futuredrandwife Offline

Loc: new york
twinmom,

Are you serious?? When did I ONCE say left-wing women should vote Republican just because a woman is on the ticket??? How dare you call me sexist? Aurora is 100% correct. I was referring to the disgusting sexist comments made about Gov. Palin. Obama's people AND the Clintons' people BOTH said that Palin has been facing sexism. Suddenly the liberals are claiming she can't be VP and a mother at the same time, even though they have always claimed otherwise. A liberal comedian called her a "stewardess." Other liberals mocked her for being a beauty pageant winner. I would be 100% respectful of people, including women, who disagree with Palin on her VIEWS, not people who rip her apart for being a woman or a mother of five, which EVEN OBAMA'S PEOPLE have admitted. In fact, Obama even fired a spokesman for making a sexist comment against Gov. Palin. So please, don't be utterly ridiculous.

#65231 - 09/05/08 06:08 AM Re: McCain's MomVP
solace Offline

Loc: southeast
Thanks y'all for making me smile. I am amazed at the conviction with which these political arguments are made over people we hardly know. Typical of many physicians I know, I was hard at work during Palin's speech and only caught the highlights briefly today. Any points on health care or tort reform made?

#65232 - 09/05/08 06:13 AM Re: McCain's MomVP
Sweet Offline
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by futuredrandwife:

I was referring to the disgusting sexist comments made about Gov. Palin.
Ladies, there seem to be a lot of comments about some vague and nebulous "they" or "it" or "?" making some purportedly "sexist", etc. comments, "attacking" Gov. Palin, and doing all kinds of other inhumane and base things to her? I have read every post in this thread and fail to see any such injustice taking place on this thread. Instead, I see a number of questions, concerns, impressions and opinions, all of which have been expressed in a civil and generally polite way. And yet, whenever someone has an opinion of Gov. Palin that is in any way negative, they are immediately censored and marginalized with generalizations and accusations.

Can someone point out any particular statement anyone has made here that has been mean or "sexist" towards Gov. Palin? Some of us have expressed concern, some have many questions, some are shocked by some of the ideas/beliefs Gov. Palin appears to embrace (especially on a board full of women with extensive training in the sciences, I think it is reasonable to expect that many of us would find her ideas regarding the evolution and emergence of living species, or human reproduction a bit outre).

I could be wrong, but I am getting the distinct impression that if one is not enraptured, impressed and enamored by/with Gov. Palin, or at the very least, is not unquestioningly supportive of her, then one is "sexist".
:scratchchin: confused

Page 16 of 39 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 38 39 >