2010 Pregnancy updates 261047
married momof3 resident2008 241733
illegal immigration and impact on medical field 230895
Affirmative action debate FINALLY invades Mommd 189658
Don't Quit This Day Job -- NYT op-ed 160718
Managing debt out of residency 149180
The "applying to med school this year" support thread 143676
Who's Online
1 registered (lyn2006), 264 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 24 of 39 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 38 39 >
Topic Options
#65303 - 09/13/08 05:57 PM Re: McCain's MomVP
mai tai Offline
Elite Member

i think obama is a smart enough man to realize the pig in lipstick comment would be associated with palin with all the playing of the lipstick hockey mom clip.

but who cares if he implies she's a pig? name-calling is juvenile, and nobody will care about who called who what in a few years. what matters is where are the candidates going to take our country.

#65304 - 09/13/08 07:23 PM Re: McCain's MomVP
futuredrandwife Offline

Loc: new york
AnnaM,

Notice no one commented on the two articles you posted on Obama's alleged "tax cut" plan. It's disgraceful that he is trying to fool the American people that they will be saving money when in fact they will not be.

And as for teaching sex ed to grades K-12... I for one do NOT want some male teacher explaining to my (future) daughter where she should or should not be touched, as well as how to prevent sexually transmitted diseases. WHEN SHE'S 5 YEARS OLD?!?!? I will be more than happy to explain to my daughter that no adult should be touching her ANYWHERE, unless it is a family member or well-known friend who is holding her hand to cross the street. Why in God's name would I want a teacher telling my toddler how to prevent STDs???-- *especially* when there are so many pedophiles in our school systems nowadays.

For the record, when talking about teaching sex ed to kindergartners, Obama said "it's the right thing to do."

I am 100% in support of teaching sex ed to older students, perhaps ages 13 and up. However, it is WRONG to teach this to toddlers.

#65305 - 09/13/08 07:34 PM Re: McCain's MomVP
nonny22 Offline
Elite Member

teaching kindergarteners what is and isn't normal touching is important because not all kids have you as a mom! Some kids are being abused by their dads and told that it is normal. These kids need help from teachers. Toddlers??

#65306 - 09/13/08 08:16 PM Re: McCain's MomVP
alkatz Offline
Elite Member

i think they key to the sex-ed is "age-appropriateness". I certainly do not think 5-6 year olds will be taught about STD's...but it IS important to let them know when it is inappropriate touching and to know what to do if it ever happens. The law states that you have the right for your kids to not take the classes. If you would rather teach them, that is fine, but there are so many kids out there that do not hear this, and are messed up for life.

most 7,8,9 etc year olds don't understand when "uncle" or "stepdad" (maybe step mom...) touches them and do not report it until teens or later, when so much damage has been done.

My only question to that law is, WHO decides WHAT is age-appropriate?

as for the taxes, I do find it disturbing. but IF it is to good use AND we get some good results without losing our homes (more so than ppl already have) we might be ok.

Plus, not everything he wants to do may get passed. Congress may not like his tax plan so it might get altered or vetoes alltogether.

#65307 - 09/13/08 09:21 PM Re: McCain's MomVP
aurora Offline
Elite Member

Loc: Bay Area, California
Riiiiight. A democrat-majority in congress won't pass a heavy tax plan... wink

Also, "if it's put to good use"? When was the last time our tax dollars were put to good use? The government is INCREDIBLY wasteful with our money.

#65308 - 09/13/08 10:09 PM Re: McCain's MomVP
AnnaM Offline
Super Elite Member

Loc: midwest
Exactly my fear, alkatz. WHO decides what is age-appropriate? That bill was all set up to cover grades 6-12 and was written for that. It was changed at the last minute to include the little ones. I am in favor of age-appropriate sex-ed, and parts of this bill are a good thing, but the fact is that the Republicans are not lying in the commercials. Obama DID vote for comprehensive sex education for grades K-12.

#65309 - 09/14/08 06:29 PM Re: McCain's MomVP
nbp Offline
Super Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pathdr2b:
Am I the ONLY one that can "see" the media for what it is? Fox is to the right, and CNN is to the left. No biggie!
Absolutely. Anyone who claims Fox News is "right down the middle" is in need of a reality check. Ditto for CNN.

#65310 - 09/14/08 06:35 PM Re: McCain's MomVP
nbp Offline
Super Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by futuredrandwife:
I am 100% in support of teaching sex ed to older students, perhaps ages 13 and up. However, it is WRONG to teach this to toddlers.
I have to interject here. 13 is WAY too late to start teaching sex ed. By the time kids are 13 years old, they have been inundated with information about sex from all sorts of unreliable sources: books, TV and movies, magazines, friends, friends' older siblings, etc. etc. We need to begin teaching our children about sex as early as they start hearing about it elsewhere, in order to counteract all the erroneous and negative information they receive.

And what's this about toddlers? Since when do toddler's go to kindergarten?

That being said, I can understand why some people might not be a fan of sex-ed in kindergarten. I haven't read the bill, so I don't know who to believe about whether it is really sex-ed, or just teaching kids to know what kind of touching is right or wrong. When I was in elementary school we watched a series of videos that taught us to recognize when someone was being inappropriate, and I fully support that sort of thing. Telling kindergarteners to use condoms, not so much. I agree that's a little on the early side.

Bottom line, sex is a normal part of life, and our children need to be educated about it. They need to know it's okay to talk about it, and ask questions about it. 13 is way too late to start this.

#65311 - 09/14/08 07:55 PM Re: McCain's MomVP
mai tai Offline
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by futuredrandwife:
And as for teaching sex ed to grades K-12... I for one do NOT want some male teacher explaining to my (future) daughter where she should or should not be touched, as well as how to prevent sexually transmitted diseases. WHEN SHE'S 5 YEARS OLD?!?!? I will be more than happy to explain to my daughter that no adult should be touching her ANYWHERE, unless it is a family member or well-known friend who is holding her hand to cross the street. Why in God's name would I want a teacher telling my toddler how to prevent STDs???-- *especially* when there are so many pedophiles in our school systems nowadays.

For the record, when talking about teaching sex ed to kindergartners, Obama said "it's the right thing to do."

this is the outrage that that particular mccain ad is trying to feed into. apparently it worked for you. read the bill. age and developmentally appropriate. nobody's going to be teaching your five year old how to have sex. plus, any parent can sign their kid out of the class.

#65312 - 09/14/08 09:20 PM Re: McCain's MomVP
futuredrandwife Offline

Loc: new york
Did YOU not read the bill?? It says "K-12." If you can tell me what kindergartner for which sex ed is appropriate, then I applaud you. But I, for the life of me, cannot figure out when it is EVER "age appropriate" to teach a kindergartner sex ed. if they wanted it to be age appropriate, why did they not LEAVE it as grades 6-12?!? They CHANGED it to K-12!!!!!! I didn't need to see the McCain ad to learn about this. I had heard about this months ago.

Page 24 of 39 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 38 39 >