2010 Pregnancy updates 267560
married momof3 resident2008 250915
illegal immigration and impact on medical field 239844
Affirmative action debate FINALLY invades Mommd 196863
Don't Quit This Day Job -- NYT op-ed 166681
Managing debt out of residency 152435
The "applying to med school this year" support thread 148792
Who's Online
0 registered (), 338 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 15 of 16 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 >
Topic Options
#66298 - 05/22/06 07:28 PM Re: illegal immigration and impact on medical field
HealthBiz Offline

There is a white genocide currently taking place in South Africa and Zimbabwe. The phrase, "Just wait until Mandela dies," is being used to taunt and scare South African whites. Many black South Africans aren't even native to the region as the country has been bombarded with African immigrants and their descendants from other countries. Now, I ask you, who is more African? An Afrikaner (white South African of Dutch descent) whose family has lived in South Africa for hundreds of years, or a black African whose family immigrated from Zambia two years ago. It's not politically correct to talk about the genocide of whites, though, so I doubt the mainstream media or Oprah Winfrey will be doing a heart-strings-type story on their plight anytime soon. :no:

#66299 - 05/24/06 08:47 AM Re: illegal immigration and impact on medical field
chalk Offline
Plus Member

Just a quick note. I am a privileged, wealthy white person who qualifies for WIC, Medicaid, and various need-based government grants. I live in the nicest of neighborhoods, go to the nicest of schools, see plays on a regular basis, etc. Qualifying for WIC doesn't mean someone is really poor or disadvantaged. I don't use WIC or Medicaid because it would truly be an abuse in my case, but I have friends with no student debt and promising lucrative careers ahead who are on both.

#66300 - 05/24/06 09:05 AM Re: illegal immigration and impact on medical field
dnw826 Offline

Loc: NC
Quote:
Originally posted by chalk:
Just a quick note. I am a privileged, wealthy white person who qualifies for WIC, Medicaid, and various need-based government grants. I live in the nicest of neighborhoods, go to the nicest of schools, see plays on a regular basis, etc. Qualifying for WIC doesn't mean someone is really poor or disadvantaged. I don't use WIC or Medicaid because it would truly be an abuse in my case, but I have friends with no student debt and promising lucrative careers ahead who are on both.
See, that ticks me off. Because I am not privileged and poor and they cut off my medicaid for me and the kids. My SIL and her SO make much more money than we do. Her parents (she is totally spoiled) pay a lot of her bills, she shops constantly, and she gets medicaid and food stamps. Things they told ME we can't have, though we make less and have three kids instead of her one. I want to know how they figure these things up.

Luckily we just moved and my dh got a somewhat better job, so we will be more poor after the money for insurance gets taken out, but at least we will be able to see a doctor.

#66301 - 05/24/06 02:47 PM Re: illegal immigration and impact on medical field
dnw826 Offline

In the news today:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/23/dobbs.may24/index.html

So is it really hard to migrate to another country from the US? How hard is it to get into med school in the UK after all? What about financial aid?

#66302 - 05/24/06 08:39 PM Re: illegal immigration and impact on medical field
AnnaM Offline
Super Elite Member

Loc: midwest
dnw826, you are in Illinois, the Land of Blago. Just sign your kids up for AllKids. No income guidelines. I have no objection to providing health care coverage to kids whose parents can't afford it, but Blago is spending my pension to cover everyone's kids, no matter what their income, and that's just wrong, with the state up to its ears in debt.

#66303 - 05/25/06 08:38 AM Re: illegal immigration and impact on medical field
dnw826 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by AnnaM:
dnw826, you are in Illinois, the Land of Blago. Just sign your kids up for AllKids. No income guidelines. I have no objection to providing health care coverage to kids whose parents can't afford it, but Blago is spending my pension to cover everyone's kids, no matter what their income, and that's just wrong, with the state up to its ears in debt.
Actually, for some reason I got refused. But we are in NC now, anyways. Yay!

#66304 - 05/25/06 09:57 AM Re: illegal immigration and impact on medical field
AnnaM Offline
Super Elite Member

Loc: midwest
Oops, then you gotta update your profile. I think AllKids starts June 1 or July 1, so I guess you missed it.

#71965 - 11/10/09 09:35 AM Re: illegal immigration and impact on medical field [Re: Doc201X]
AspiringtobeDoc
Unregistered

I don't think that Illegal Immigrants have an easy time on accesing medicaid services or insurance coverage by the state.
According to many insurances and free-care laws, if you are not a legal U.S. citizen you do not have the right to apply for standard insurance and free medicaid, etc.
They do offer a type of medicaid for emergency type of services for immigrants, or maybe Volunteer centers will offer their support.
*There may be a few exceptions to this. so Idk.
Remember that Medicine is about providing excelent care to individuals regardless of their status! smile

#73482 - 03/12/10 06:31 PM Re: illegal immigration and impact on medical field [Re: Doc201X]
latestage Offline

Originally Posted By: pathdr2b
[quote]
And the rounding up of the Japaneses was simply an imhumane thing to do which is probably why they received financial reparations for their trouble. However, since the Japanese are used in this example,can anyone deny the great contributions they have made, particularly in medicine and science to this country?

My grandfather, grandmother, father and five aunts and uncles spent over three years in the camps, first in Texas and subsequently New Jersey. They were second generation Japanese living in Peru where my grandfather was a community leader and successful businessman. At the time it was quite common for Japanese to emigrate to various South American countries where established communities of Japanese expats already existed. Note the previous president of Peru Alberto Fujimora is of Japanese descent.

Part of the US response to the Japanese threat during WWII was to pay a sum to the governments of these countries to essentially expel the Japanese in order to help neutralize the threat. The Peruvian government was paid 25 million. My grandfather was arrested and sent to an interrogation facility for several months. Their business, home and assets were seized. My grandmother was pregnant, with five children under the age of 8. Eventually the entire family was rounded up and sent first to an intermediary camp in Texas, and subsequently New Jersey. His experiences are available in his published memoir for which I will be happy to provide a link via pm if anyone is interested. Independent of politics, it's simply an engrossing read to a footnote in history.

After the war, his decision to become a US citizen was determined more by his complete and utter poverty than having any particular choice. He was one of the primary proponents of reparations and lobbied for years for them. Reparations when finally paid amounted to ~10k decades later. That he died before being subjected to this slap in the face is rather a blessing.

What happened to the Japanese during WWII wasn't any more or less inhumane than what happened to a lot of people, it was a war, shit happened, blah blah. However, please don't delude yourself about reparations or compare enforced refugee status with illegal immigrant status.

Edited by latestage (03/13/10 06:16 AM)

#73483 - 03/12/10 06:37 PM Re: illegal immigration and impact on medical field [Re: HealthBiz]
latestage Offline

Originally Posted By: HealthBiz
There is a white genocide currently taking place in South Africa and Zimbabwe. The phrase, "Just wait until Mandela dies," is being used to taunt and scare South African whites. Many black South Africans aren't even native to the region as the country has been bombarded with African immigrants and their descendants from other countries. Now, I ask you, who is more African? An Afrikaner (white South African of Dutch descent) whose family has lived in South Africa for hundreds of years, or a black African whose family immigrated from Zambia two years ago. It's not politically correct to talk about the genocide of whites, though, so I doubt the mainstream media or Oprah Winfrey will be doing a heart-strings-type story on their plight anytime soon. :no:

An Afrikaner whose family has lived in South Africa for hundreds of years, probably has a lot to answer for.

Edited by latestage (03/13/10 06:19 AM)

Page 15 of 16 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 >