2010 Pregnancy updates 255787
married momof3 resident2008 238085
illegal immigration and impact on medical field 226223
Affirmative action debate FINALLY invades Mommd 185549
Kids say the cutest/funniest things 158635
Don't Quit This Day Job -- NYT op-ed 156198
Managing debt out of residency 147092
Who's Online
3 registered (Flavowitz, clee03m, sahmd), 254 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#66953 - 03/09/08 02:05 PM Pros and Cons of becoming a DO
Doc201X Offline
Super Elite Member

Loc: Hot a$$ Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by hilseb:
.............why tell them they are going to be limited? To what? Being a practicing physician? Some programs may insist on taking the USMLE's, I am sure, but I doubt many still refuse to take DOs period.
Let me first start off by saying that I have NO PROBLEMS with the DO philosophy and would apply myself if I didn't have to relocate to attend school. But a serious conversation needs to be held about the very REAL prejudice that exists against DO's.

I've seen with my own eyes NO Do's on the residency staff at some schools and know for a fact that some schools won't take them. So, if you're interested in a highly competitive field like Derm, it's simply better to go MD than DO. IM NOT SAYING YOU CANT BECOME A DERM AS A DO. Just that it's harder to do. This is not MY prejudice, it's simply THE facts.

A couple other cons I can think of:
1) Having to take BOTH the USMLE's AND COMPLEX
2) On average, it's FAR more expensive than a lot of MD's schools.
3) Not being recognized in some countries.
4) Having to explain to people what a DO is.

Pros:
1) If you can't get accepted MD, this is a viable option to become a Physician.
2) Admission is not as competitive as MD schools.

I have a close friend that wasn't sure she would get accepted to an MD school and is now a doctor. I asked her why she didn't apply to DO schools and her answer was very profound: "As Black woman, I already have to deal with enough prejudice based on gender and race. I'm not about potentially add more prejudice in my life by becoming a DO". I have another friend who also happens to be a Black female and is the best resident Pathologist I've EVER met, about why she went DO instead of just doing the post bacc and starting med school (MD) a year later. Her response was that she was ready to get on with becoming an Doctor and now she's doing extremely well as a community Pathologist.

Pros and cons is ALL this debate is about, and you can't talk about going DO without talking about both IMHO.

#66954 - 03/09/08 02:48 PM Re: Pros and Cons of becoming a DO
3DMOM Offline
Plus Member

Loc: atlanta
You are right. I want to become a DO because of what DO stands for. I am a very holistic thinker and the DO philosophy happens to include a holistic approach to medicine. I do not mind explaining what a DO does and the difference between an MD. Not all MD's are the same.

#66955 - 03/09/08 06:10 PM Re: Pros and Cons of becoming a DO
twinmom Offline
Super Elite Member

I'm not a huge DO expert, so I'll limit myself to my own experience.

I shared some work space with a pediatric heme-onc fellow when I was a research assistant prior to med school. She was a DO, an extremely nice woman, and really smart. She had no trouble getting where she is today. She had to explain to her residency and fellowship (mostly fellowship) why she wasn't doing primary care. (She had a super explanation that I don't remember, sorry, but it was good.) She did NOT go to a DO school because she couldn't get into an MD school. She could've gone wherever she wanted. She just liked the DO philosophy better, and because of that she was able to stand up and write her own ticket.

On the other hand, another former coworker had a husband (whom I never met, so I can't comment on directly) who went DO because he had to. He ended up getting pretty far down his match list for IM programs, and took twice trying to match for a cardio fellowship. (Good news, though, he eventually did.)

I guess my point is, if you're into the DO philosophy, do it. If you're not, don't. Don't just do DO because you can't get into MD. It's its own thing. smile

#66956 - 03/09/08 06:50 PM Re: Pros and Cons of becoming a DO
docE Offline
Elite Member

hmmmm...DO is not it's "own" thing. As a second year medical student at an osteopathic institution, I don't consider myself a "DO" student, I consider myself a "medical" student. It really annoys me when people say I'm in "DO" school. You would never say someone is in "MD" school. The osteopathic "philosophy" is mostly historical. It's a great philosophy to follow, and all medical professionals, in my opinon, should embrace it, whether they're MD, DO, RN, CNP, PA, etc. As patients (and we've all been patients before), we want our providers to treat us like people, not diseases. We want our physicians to understand that social, emotional, psychological, and economic factors contribute to our health. Isn't this just good medicine? At my "DO" school we don't go around asying things like "lets treat this patient as a whole," it's a philosophy that is introduced in a historical perspective (the reason that AT STill created the institution as a break from allopathic medicine), but after that, it just seems to make sense.

Really, the only difference in the training that I can tell is that we LEARN OMM. Most DO's never use OMM past their second year of medical school. It's a handy tool to have, but we're not chiropracters, and this is not the focus of our practice. Those who want to learn further OMM techniques can elect to take more classes.

I do agree, that from what I've heard, it is more difficult for osteopathic students to get very competitive residency spots (derm, ophthomology, radiology, etc). If you're really thinking you'd like to go into something competitive, I'd probably try the MD route, but be prepared to work your a$$ off either way, because those spots are tough for MD and DO students alike.

Not all DO schools are more expensive. Some are, some aren't. Do your research.

MD PROS: you get to be a physician
MD CONS: you get to be a physician

DO PROS: you get to be a physician
DO CONS: you get to be a physician

It's six one way, half a dozen the other. Don't let all these debates on "holistic" medicine throw you. If you're going to be a great physician, you'll do it regardless of what the letters are following your name

#66957 - 03/09/08 07:00 PM Re: Pros and Cons of becoming a DO
docE Offline
Elite Member

A note on "explaining" to lay people the definition of a DO...I did this about 20 times before I came to medical school, and since then I haven't done it once. It doesn't bother me, and it doesn't come up often, and when it does come up, it's really not a big deal. Up until a year before I went to a "DO school" I had NEVER heard of a DO, so I was one of those ignorant people. Another great oportunity to educate in my opinion.

As for standards of admission--most DO schools are (generally) easier to get accepted to. That does NOT mean that once you get there that they are easier to get out of. IE, the quality of education, from my experience, is in no way whatsoever inferior. We are taught by MD's, DO's and PhD's. We pass the same board exams. We all are taught and learn the same material...the physiology, biochemistry, pathology, is the same whether you're at an MD or DO institution.

#66958 - 03/09/08 08:55 PM Re: Pros and Cons of becoming a DO
Doc201X Offline
Super Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by docE:
Not all DO schools are more expensive. Some are, some aren't. Do your research.
Where did I say that ALL DO schools are more expensive? confused Do my reserch? Gladly! wink

College/In state/Out of state

DMU/COM $29,050 $29,050
KCOM/ATSU $31,700 $31,700
KCUMB-COM $33,247 $33,247
LECOM $24,100 $25,100
MWU/AZCOM $34,099 $34,099
MWU/CCOM $29,755 $35,391
NSU-COM $22,265 $27,995
NYCOM/NYIT $31,749 $31,749
PCOM $32,334 $32,334
PCSOM $27,000 $27,000
TUCOM $30,650 $30,650
UNECOM $33,000 $33,000
VCOM $29,500 $29,500
WesternU/COMP $33,230 $33,230

Public
MSUCOM $20,682 $46,482
OSU-COM $14,995 $29,220
OU-COM $19,455 $28,353
TCOM $6,550 $19,650
UMDNJ-SOM $20,567 $32,185
WVSOM $16,418 $40,630
Mean $16,445 $32,753

Source: American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine, Tuition Survey for 2005-2006

I can think of 15 state MD school's off the top of my head with tuition LESS than 20K/year.

http://services.aamc.org/tsfreports/report.cfm?select_control=PUB&year_of_study= 2006

#66959 - 03/09/08 08:58 PM Re: Pros and Cons of becoming a DO
Doc201X Offline
Super Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by docE:
It really annoys me when people say I'm in "DO" school. You would never say someone is in "MD" school.
Should we add this to the cons list? :p

I do agree that a medical student is a medical student. However, if ostoepathic med students stop refering to themselves as DO medical students or correct those who refer to them this way, then everyone else will follow in line.

#66960 - 03/09/08 09:06 PM Re: Pros and Cons of becoming a DO
alkatz Offline
Elite Member

I have 2 things to add here.

1. Not only are most DO schools more expensive, most do not have student support services (such as health ins, day care, etc) as most MD schools do, at least the ones affiliated with universities. The health ins that you have to buy as an individual is what really drives up the cost for me, it is more than my monthly rent, which is not cheap either. Again, do your research.

2. There is one other con for a DO school...in 5 states (WV, PA, FL, MI, OH) you are still required to do a 1 year internship in ADDITION to residency in order to be licensed to practice in those states. The main issue with that is, it is pretty much unpaid. SOME DO residencies include them in your 'residency', but not all do. No MD residencies do.

The problem is, the federal government will only pay for a set number of years. This means that the program you are looking to get into will have to eat the cost of 1 year. Either that or YOU eat the cost of yet another year, allowing interest to accrue on your large educational loans and losing a year's worth of income, plus living on what...?

The state that I am in has a bill proposed to the senate to eliminate that "extra" year, but it does not look good. IMHO, this extra year does nothing but give you more general experience, no extra emphasis on OMM, and if you have already chosen what you want to do, it makes no sense.

If you do not plan on working in those 5 states, then this last one does not apply. If this is not changed by the time I graduate, I will not be working in those 5 states.

#66961 - 03/10/08 07:12 AM Re: Pros and Cons of becoming a DO
alkatz Offline
Elite Member

edit:
I think it is Oklahoma which has the requirement, not OH...any DO's out there that can clarify?

#66962 - 03/10/08 10:17 AM Re: Pros and Cons of becoming a DO
Baby Einstein Offline
Super Elite Member

Aren't there a lot of DO schools in these 5 states? Is there a reason or is it a coincidence? I had no idea about this requirement. Not cool :no:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >