Affirmative action debate FINALLY invades Mommd 197350
Don't Quit This Day Job -- NYT op-ed 167121
Managing debt out of residency 152744
The "applying to med school this year" support thread 149112
Why is it 146919
Not that I want to start my first entry this way.. 132816
Would you go into medicine again if you had the choice? 129457
Who's Online
1 registered (clee03m), 315 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#70733 - 02/14/06 10:18 AM Re: My Heart's Desire
doctorjoy Offline

Loc: Where God wants me to be
Sometimes when you fall and can't get up you just have to look up to find your help. Trying to go to medical school is a roller coaster of emotion. One minute you are worried that this is not right for you (see last post); the next interviews start rolling in one after the other. After doing my last post I received 3 emails about interviews for school YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl: :banghead: I can not wait for when my contract is up because I have to go. mad

#70734 - 02/21/06 12:34 PM Re: My Heart's Desire
doctorjoy Offline

Everyday it is something new. Something to make you go crazy. I am not sure what it is. Maybe I am being tested to see how calm I can be when crazy people do the wrong thngs. I guess you can not always put your trust in people. Need to learn to go with the punches. Dip duck step back and make sure like Muhammad Ali I can say "I am the greatest" because I have overcome the things being thrown at me. mad mad I just pray and hope that my journey through my current place of employment ends soon. I must get into school :wave:

#70735 - 03/06/06 08:37 PM Re: My Heart's Desire
doctorjoy Offline

I am so excitd right now I may not be able to complete this. I am finally going to medical school Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! :goodvibes: :cloud9:

#70736 - 03/20/06 01:12 PM Re: My Heart's Desire
doctorjoy Offline

Well I think i have finally come down from my high of being accepted. A couple of days later I sat down and read the whole letter of what I needed to send to keep my seat On the 15th of March 250 dollars was due and by May 15th two thousand dollars due. Getting the money has been a real experience for me. I found out I was accepted on the 6th of March so I basically had nine days to send the deposit. Where it was coming from I did not know. Pay day was not until the 15th of March. Here is how the 250 dollars came about. My mother had 125 dollars in quarters which was cool. Still needed another 125 dollars. Since my mother counted her change I decided to count mine low and behold 125 dollars in change. So by friday the 10th of March my first deposit was in the mail. Thank you Jesus laugh

Now I needed to work on the second deposit. Well the next week I did my taxes. HAving children around are a great thing. By doing my taxes I was able to get half of my deposit. Which is great I only needed to find a thousand dollars. Well two months to try and save that amount of money dealing bills, kids and things like that I was not sure where it would come from. But I knew it would and it had to. Family is such a great thing. While visiting my parents for a week, I was able to meet some new family members. I learned a lot of history about my family, etc... That was cool. I really do not expect to get financial help from family. My mother was glad to give me the money because she wants to see me fulfill my dream and I hardly ask for much from her. But to receive funding from family that you met one day is something I can not fathom. LAst week Thursday my parents kept calling me but I was teaching and did not get a break until late in the day. When I finally answered their call, my dad told me that Pop Brown decided to give me my two thousand dollar deposit for school :wave:

This journey that I am on is so funny to me sometimes. I am still learning that it takes patience. When God wants youe somewhere you just have to wait on him because he knows your beginning from your end. I know with every fiber of my being that God grew the right tree so I can climb out on my limb. To think that money could show up that quick is crazy. :p

Now do I think if I had done somethings different that I would have been in school sooner? Probably. But I would not have been given the many different opportunities, the different experiences, that I have gone through, everything would be different. I am thankful for what has been done in my life. I know I complain but in the end God does all things for my good. :wave:

#70737 - 03/21/06 10:43 AM Re: My Heart's Desire
doctorjoy Offline

Ever since I have been accepted into medical school I have no motivation to complete the job that I am at. I like teaching, but with all that has happened I really am at the point where I don't care what happens. I literally have to make myself do something. Like right now I should be getting ready for class but I am purusing the internet. Or try to get up this morning, I just could not get out of bed. The alarm was set for six something and I rolled over and turned it off and stayed in bed until 8:30 and I had to be at work by 9:30. That is not good. Granted the boys went to see their mother for spring break, so I guess the laziness is worth it. But in reality for the last couple of weeks I have really been a slacker. Preparing lectures the morning of; not having labs ready til the hour before, etc... I count down each day to when I will leave this job. :wave:

#70738 - 03/27/06 11:30 AM Re: My Heart's Desire
doctorjoy Offline

Well I finally heard from 2 other schools that I applied to and they rejected me. I have one more school that has not answered me yet. But that is ok because I am still going somewhere in the fall. :wave:

#70739 - 03/28/06 11:02 AM Re: My Heart's Desire
doctorjoy Offline

Well I heard from the finally school yesterday and they rejected me also. It seems strange though. I spent all this money to apply to only four schools and then got an interview invite to all and had to pay money to fly here and there and then only get accepted into one school :wave:

#70740 - 03/29/06 05:26 PM Re: My Heart's Desire
doctorjoy Offline

Today has been not a very good one. DH and I had a big arguement over finances. AT the present moment I am the only one bringing funds into the house and it has been a real struggle. We are so deep in a hole I am not sure how to get out of it. What makes me mad is he is doing nothing to help. mad :banghead: He says oh I am looking for a job It has been months. or I am hoping that this will come through. It is getting real old. I want to go away to school but with the surmounting debt, he is killing me and my dream :banghead: :banghead:

#70741 - 04/05/06 10:33 AM Re: My Heart's Desire
doctorjoy Offline

When I started this blog, I did not think that I would get into medical school. I was just putting myself out there becasue I was feeling down about my present situation and was not sure where I should go. I knew the day I started my blog that I did not want to be at my job anymore. :wave:

#70742 - 04/06/06 07:31 PM Re: My Heart's Desire
doctorjoy Offline

I can not wait for this day to be over. I have been awake since 4:30 for what reason I am not sure. Lately I have been thinking about writing a book for minority premeds. Not sure what it will all include. I know for sure MCAT prep, scholarships..... Anyway this has been something that I have wanted to do so other students coming up do not have to go through so much. My train of thought has been stopped. eek

Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 ... 15 16 >