2010 Pregnancy updates 267245
married momof3 resident2008 250766
illegal immigration and impact on medical field 239617
Affirmative action debate FINALLY invades Mommd 196644
Don't Quit This Day Job -- NYT op-ed 166354
Managing debt out of residency 152262
The "applying to med school this year" support thread 148588
Who's Online
1 registered (lyn2006), 343 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 9 of 16 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#70803 - 12/09/07 06:20 PM Re: My Heart's Desire
doctorjoy Offline

Loc: Where God wants me to be
Exams are around the corner and my body hurts. Studying takes a lot out of you. There has to be a good position to study in. I know everyone has to have neck pain, but pain, shoulder pain, just everything is in pain. On top of it you are exhausted. :wave:

#70804 - 12/11/07 10:30 AM Re: My Heart's Desire
doctorjoy Offline

I may have to finish this in two parts. I am in class and it is about to end. my last couple of post have been short and crazy. They make me laugh. I have been meaning to put a post about MCAT review, I may wait until my fake Christmas break, because I will be doing some board review and casual reading.. I still have to study for exams, because as soon as break as over there are two exams to take for school. So Christmas break is not real. So my board review starts this week with a diagnostic exam. I am really nervous about taking it. My Schedule for the month of December is 8 days of GI and 8 days of neuro. Just for clarification I will be doing the anatomy, pathology, pharmacology, etc... of each system at once. I am doing a system-based study. I should finish all subjects by mid-April if I follow the plan. And then I will begin a more focused, hard core review. My goal is 230 on USMLE and 450 COMLEX. Yes I am taking two exams eek Here is a list of books that I have for board review. I warn you the list is pretty long, Some are just case study books. I probably won't get to all of them, but as long as I have them at my disposal.
Ok so I think it is about three days ago that I started this post.... I was talking about the books that I am using for board review. First off I took a diagnostic for the USMLE the other day and boy do I have a steam engine in front of me to work on. Now I will say the subjects that I did board review to complement my studies for class I knew off the back of my hand. But since I did not do it with the subjects last year, I feel like I have completely forgot mad But I am optimistic, I have been placed into medical school not to fail, but suceed because God is leading and i am trying my best to follow. Ok back to my book list.

First AID for the USMLE step 1
BRS series (3 Ps- Pathology, Physiology, Pharmacology); (Neuroanatomy,embryology,cell and histology)
Lippincoit series (pharmacology, Biochemistry); step-up series (case studies and review book-I like this better than first aid (just my opinion)
Golijan pathology- I will use this for boards definitely- the BRS book is just for more questions)
Blackwell's underground clinical vignettes
blueprints' series (for boards and 3rd year stuff)
blue prints Q&A step 1
High yield immunology
Lange flashcards- biochemistry/genetics, microbiology/ID, pathology, pharmacology
Osteopathic recall
first aid for comlex
OMT review- (for those osteopaths to be out there the chapter on sacrum and innominates should be memorized and understood)
Clinical microbiology made ridiculously easy
USMLE world-
kaplan Q bank book (can't have enough questions)
Pre-test series for questions
I think that is all, :wave:

#70805 - 12/17/07 06:19 AM Re: My Heart's Desire
doctorjoy Offline

well today is lottery day for 3rd year and I am a nervous wreck. I don't want toeat and can't concentrate on studying. I really just want to cry. I am trying not to worry about but it is really a big gamble, I could end up somewhere in the boonies with a bad rotation schedule and fumble. With the people i am dealing with in my class, everyone wants to be in the same area which is not possible. So I want to leave in God's hand to take me where I should go. I would like to do a rotation in Chicago and Boston, but to mainly remain in the area that I am. Most students in my class are choosing the lottery based on the order, I am choosing based on my selectives and who we can choose from. ok Breathe............ eek :wave:

#70806 - 12/18/07 06:11 AM Re: My Heart's Desire
doctorjoy Offline

Well lottery day is over. I am good with my choice of rotation, but my group of people in the rotation not to sure about. We are all strong-willed and minded and will probably disagree a lot on where to go for things. I trying my best to stay in the area except for a few. I am tentatively happy. we will see what happens. Everyone was so stressed out yesterday. We had class all day and no one was paying attention, the only thing was the lottery. I am not sure if this is done at every school but here on a specific day, everyone's name is a hat. Months in advance a rotation schedule for both 3rd and 4th year are given for people to choose and rank the order they would like to do their rotation. Some people want to do their least likely first, Some people want to make sure that the field they go into is not too early in the rotation so they don't fumble too much. Most people based their schedule on 3rd year and not 4th year. To me fourth year is more important becuase that is interview and 2nd look time for residency. Which makes me think school is almost over. I have my good days and I have my bad days, but I won't complan (even though I have a lot in this blog :p ). Well I am back in the swing of things for board review. I decided not to study in my bed, I think what I may do is go to Barnes and Noble after my workouts and do my reading and then go home. It is time for me to study and do some research for a paper I am trying to write with a doctor (tell you about that later)

#70807 - 12/18/07 04:54 PM Re: My Heart's Desire
doctorjoy Offline

well today is not a good day after all. I really need to make sure everything is in perspective. I am thinking about changing my lottery area. We have until Jan. In life there are certain people you just do not want to deal with. Rignt now I need God to take over and to let him. Because right now.... :wave:

#70808 - 12/20/07 07:11 PM Re: My Heart's Desire
doctorjoy Offline

I am thinking about deleting that previous post. Frustration gets everyone and I know that I am not alone. But when you cry out to God... He answers right on time. I am so ready for Christmas break. It is so hard for me to concentrate on anything. I am ready to just wake up a bit later, just to relax.
Since my mind is unable to focus, I am behind in board review reading. Probably after some good sleep on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday... I may be back to do what I am suppose to be doing.
I just received my clearance to take the COMLEX and USMLE. The more I think about boards the more my stomach ties up in knots. Since I am doing GI I may get ulcers from this :wave:

#70809 - 12/21/07 08:25 PM Re: My Heart's Desire
doctorjoy Offline

It is Christmas break, it is Christmas break, it is christmas break, christmas, christmas, christmas.... No school building for 2 weeks, no crazy classmates who need to grow up, no professors who make no sense, no crazy looking security guards, Just my house and returning to my mountain top. oh happy day (oh happy day) oh happy day (oh happy day). Relax, relate release. Breathe.... Man medical school puts you into so many ups, downs, roller costers, you name you feel in medical school, I can't wait to do Psych/neuro to see what is really wrong with every medical student and how to treat. I know when I look back on this blog, I will probably just laugh. I am so glad I found this site, that allows me to put my mind at ease. To know that there are others going through what I am going through or have gone through. I feel wonderful peace about me. No worries right now, no stress, just peace. I wonder if there is someone out there who went to medical school and was abnormal. In the sense that they had no stress and just sailed through school. It would be interesting to walk in their shoes, because I feel at times,my shoes don't fit or that they are huge clown shoes and I keep falling on my face. :p
Well my laptop battery is about to die and I hate when I lose post :rolleyes:
be encouraged everyone

#70810 - 01/08/08 07:13 AM Re: My Heart's Desire
doctorjoy Offline

I thought I posted during the break. Anyway, the break is over :wave:

#70811 - 01/16/08 09:04 AM Re: My Heart's Desire
doctorjoy Offline

well things are on a down fall for me right now. Not very sure I will be a third year medical student next year. My grades are not reflecting my studies. I know I know my information. But my grades are just not where they should be in all tests and classes. I am not sure what to do and how to do it. I am not sure if I could handle repeating a year. I am trying to continue on as if I am going to pass.

Well board review is.... I am totally off the schedule that my group came up with. The weeks that I missed I have to shift around to do. I have found I retain more information when I study board information along with class information. Which should correlate, but i guess that don't have enough time in class to explain. They just seem to read and not explain anything. Maybe that is what is, I need to make sure I understand and not just memorize. This is long term information and what I am noticing with school is that there is volumes of information and each professor wants to give you volumes and they test on the small details not the things that are apparent. Which is annoying.
Just venting right now. my thoughts are just all over the place. I have an assessment of getting into medical and leaving- based on mastercard commercial

paying for MCAT- 300
reviewing for MCAT- 1700
applying for medical school- 1st application- 500
2nd application- 500
interviews- 2000
acceptance- 2500 (keep a seat at one place)
equipment for medical school- 1000
books tuition- 40000
board review-part one
books- 500
kaplan/usmle world- 400
paying for tests- 500
graduation-priceless

There are probably more costs but this came to me while driving home yesterday.

#70812 - 01/30/08 06:15 PM Re: My Heart's Desire
doctorjoy Offline

SO much has happened these past few weeks to me. I am not sure where to begin. But foremost. I thank God for being who He is and allowing my crazy self to just be. God has had to craddle me, and take me to the brink. But it just let me know that He never gives me more than I can bare. My faith is not where it should be, but I am glad that I have a stand in.

Lately things have just been going down. I am not sure what happened to me and dealing with school ( i will probably come back to this post) eek

Page 9 of 16 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 16 >