2010 Pregnancy updates 256147
married momof3 resident2008 238400
illegal immigration and impact on medical field 226774
Affirmative action debate FINALLY invades Mommd 185863
Kids say the cutest/funniest things 159918
Don't Quit This Day Job -- NYT op-ed 156548
Managing debt out of residency 147242
Who's Online
1 registered (lydiasmommy), 260 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#79989 - 06/07/11 08:31 PM disappointing MCAT score. Re-take?
dancin2aMD Offline

Loc: New York, NY
Hi everyone! I just received my MCAT score and it was the lowest of all of my practice tests: a 29R (10 PS 10 BS, 9 VR). My fiance and I live in new york and I plan to apply to schools that will be commutable for both of us (he is a fashion photographer and shoots and edits in Manhattan). 16 schools in NYC, Long Island, Brooklyn, and Philadelphia.

I feel like a 29 isn't really good enough but am not sure whether I should re-take. I had pretty horrible test anxiety last time. GPA was a 3.85 overall, 3.6 (math and science). I was a dance major and have over 6 years of clinical experience (between college and my job post graduation), I teach yoga, and am involved in 2 research. I also was an RA and worked at least 20 hours per week through college.

#80028 - 06/09/11 12:12 AM Re: disappointing MCAT score. Re-take? [Re: dancin2aMD]
asunshine Offline
Super Elite Member

It's a fine score. And balanced too. I had a 29N and still got in early decision. It's a gamble no matter how u slice it. You can always reapply if this cycle isn't kind to you. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

#82070 - 10/07/11 01:18 PM Re: disappointing MCAT score. Re-take? [Re: asunshine]
dancin2aMD Offline

Thank you so much for your supportive response. I decided to apply to 10 schools instead (I weeded out some of the schools where the stats seem to favor super high MCAT score... including my alma mater, NYU). It is early October, all of my apps are complete, but no word as of yet. I'm going to start reviewing my MCAT flash cards just incase.

I have a back-up plan in mind. I have discovered that I absoluely love research and would love to throw myself into the academic sided of medicine for the next year if things don't work out this cycle. DO and podiatry schools will be added to the mix next year. Does anyone know a good DO in New York that is open for shadowing?

Any other suggestions?

#82072 - 10/07/11 03:38 PM Re: disappointing MCAT score. Re-take? [Re: dancin2aMD]
megboo Offline
Super Elite Member

Loc: Not Illinois
29R is fine. If you've been reading studendoctor.net try not to let the 35+ scores get to you. Apply broadly, but if you are more than your score then you will get interviews. Especially if you are applying DO too.

In fact, if you have your MCAT score, why aren't you applying to DO schools now?

#82079 - 10/07/11 05:32 PM Re: disappointing MCAT score. Re-take? [Re: megboo]
southernmd Offline
Super Elite Member

My MCAT was a 29 also! I am doing great in medical school, did great on boards, and not for a second do I think about that MCAT score unless I see someone like yourself posting they are upset about it! LOL. How ironic.

Apply broadly. Apply where you want to also. I see where DO is mentioned, but I actually feel very strongly that if you aren't into OMM - don't apply DO. I have some DO friends, and I think they are very smart. They also love the OMM they do. However, I don't like it at all, and I would be frustrated with it being in my curriculum, so I am glad I am MD. This is a very expensive and long venture, so if you aren't ok with either - just apply where you are ok. I also have friends who ONLY applied DO, because they didn't want to go to a med school that DIDN'T teach OMM - that's how much they believed in it. Fair enough.

So I'm not in the camp that says to use DO schools to broaden your app unless you KNOW you are cool with both types of school. The ONLY difference is OMM btw. Both DO and MD do the same thing and are great doctors.

#82090 - 10/08/11 11:02 AM Re: disappointing MCAT score. Re-take? [Re: southernmd]
bootlegger Offline

I agree with everything said above. However, I think you should go ahead and throw those other 6 programs in. You never know. You may have something to offer that the school is looking for. Especially with your degree being in dance. It provides diversity to the class when everyone isn't a pre-med, bio, or chem major. So, if it were me I would go ahead and throw those other 6 in. Yes it is expensive, but the cost would definitely be offset my having a doctors salary one year earlier.

#82155 - 10/10/11 01:49 PM Re: disappointing MCAT score. Re-take? [Re: bootlegger]
dancin2aMD Offline

Thank you for all of your advice. I've been using the MSAR as a guide for which schools seem the most reasonable for me to hope for. Megboo, you are absolutely right. In fact, I've banned myself from studentdoctor net bc it really feeds the anxiety and anticipation of failure.

I actually really like the philosophy of DO program and training, and because I hope to pursue sports med/ortho/Physiatry-type specialty I think the program would be a good fit. As a patient, I have seen a DO for my dance injuries for the past five years and have had great experiences. However, I worry about the job market and ability to be competitive for the match down the road. I know that DOs have their own ortho residency, in fact there is one here in New York, but am not sure about other specialties and ability to be competitive with MDs for other programs. My boss (I work for a dermatologist as a medical assistant) told me that DOs have a separate board certification and don't have the same membership rights in the American Academy of Dermatology as MDs. Is this true? Do you know if it is the same in other organizations as well? I also have questions about research opportunities as a DO.

Presently, my plan is to apply to only MD programs this round, and apply to both next round. I am thinking MD, mainly bc it seems like a smoother path. Thoughts?

Still no word on the interview front....

#82260 - 10/12/11 07:07 PM Re: disappointing MCAT score. Re-take? [Re: dancin2aMD]
cnatodoc Offline

Loc: Oregon
dancin' I am in the same boat! I am attracted to Osteopathic Medicine, but I also think I may want to specialize in Neurology...so I am wondering how difficult that might be to match (if even at all possible) into a Neuro residency if I go the DO route. My Primary Care Provider is a DO and she is WONDERFUL. I work at a hospital and in the hospital here, and the partner surrounding clinics we have a good amount of DO's on staff. (although I haven't seen any in neuro...but plenty in orthopedic surgery, ED, family practice and OB..if that helps dancin'...although don't know where they did their residencies/if they went through "osteopathic specific ones," would be interesting to find out! and I am in Oregon by the way, I would surprised if many of them are coming from NY..though possible I suppose?)

I am sort of leaning towards MD as well because like you said dancin', "it seems like a smoother path." If I am going to put the time and money into med school, I don't want to face any more adversity than I already will have to with getting the residency I want and getting a job post-graduation. I am really interested to see what more have to say on this...

#82292 - 10/13/11 01:09 PM Re: disappointing MCAT score. Re-take? [Re: cnatodoc]
carliz Offline

For what it's worth, I work for a large hospital company (250 hospitals +) and have to deal with physician recruiters daily. When I started, 7 years ago, I honestly had to look up what a D.O. was, because I'd never heard of it (we just didn't have very many). Now, though, 1 out of 3 of our contracts go to D.O. physicians, across all specialties. Number of MDs stayed pretty flat, but our D.O. population is growing like crazy--and there is no distinguishing between the two when it comes to hiring.

So from the job perspective, at least in my experience, there doesn't seem to be much differentiation these days. I agree with the previous post that said just pursue the path(s) that you are truly interested in! If you'd be happy/comfortable with both (without feeling like one or the other is settling in some way), apply to both! You'll get excellent training regardless.

#82294 - 10/13/11 01:14 PM Re: disappointing MCAT score. Re-take? [Re: carliz]
residentmom Offline
Super Elite Member

Loc: Farm Country
numbers aren't everything. One of my friends made a 25 on the MCAT, had a GPA like yours and was a biology major, and got into med school on his first try and is now an anesthesiologist. He is just a bad test-taker, he is a fine physician. I would at least add in your alma mater... they tend to sometimes favor grads for interviews, if not admissions, and that way you get your foot in the door at least. smile

"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >