Affirmative action debate FINALLY invades Mommd 197028
Don't Quit This Day Job -- NYT op-ed 166865
Managing debt out of residency 152534
The "applying to med school this year" support thread 148883
Why is it 146710
Not that I want to start my first entry this way.. 131824
Would you go into medicine again if you had the choice? 129204
Who's Online
2 registered (Administrator, Popcorn), 367 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#80567 - 07/09/11 08:49 PM Mentioning being a mother in my ERAS PS?
nbp Offline
Super Elite Member

So, I think I know what the overwhelming response to this is going to be. I'm still curious to see the details of people's reactions. One of my letter writers is a pediatrician who is very involved in my home program's residency program, including the evaluation of applicants (I can't remember her official title, it might be associate PD). I had this conversation with her about what to put in a PS when I was still up in the air between peds and psych (I am now writing for psych, geared towards child and adolescent). Her advice about the PS was that it should be personal, just as the title says, and should convey something that makes readers want to meet me. She thought I would be crazy NOT to talk about being a mother in there. I guess from the peds perspective, she felt that being a mother made me a much stronger applicant. Of course, when she applied to residencies many years ago with her husband, her PS was about how she wanted to raise her kids and practice medicine, so I guess she's biased.

In any case, I've drafted my PS, and I didn't mention being a mother in it yet. I'm debating throwing in the briefest of references in relation to some discussion of working with children's families (after all, I do think being a mom makes it easier for me to relate to other parents). Now my dean of students, on the other hand, doesn't think I should make any mention of it. I'm guessing most of you will agree with her.

I guess the struggle for me is twofold: 1, being a mom is such a huge part of who I am that not revealing it seems to be ignoring something very relevant for a PERSONAL statement, and I suppose it could make me stand out even more (I have a very good application and had numerous publications, so I think it speaks for itself that being a mom has not hindered my performance). 2, I'm going to be sending my PS to this letter writer to review and I feel a little guilty not having mentioned motherhood in it after she encouraged me to so strongly.

Thoughts?

#80569 - 07/09/11 09:36 PM Re: Mentioning being a mother in my ERAS PS? [Re: nbp]
asunshine Offline
Super Elite Member

NBP, I forget that we are applying in the same cycle!

I am mentioning being a mother; a lot of my activities have to do with me being a mom, and I have to "explain" my LOA anyways....so yeah. If a residency program is uncomfortable with me being a mother, then we're probably not a good match anyway. Plus I am interested in my home program, and uh, since I've been either pregnant or pumping all but 3 mos of my medical school career, I think they know my OB history! Although, like you, I think my CV speaks for itself that my performance was not hindered by motherhood. (Sleep, though....definitely hindered....) Haven't sent it to my advisor yet, though, so we'll see what he says. Keep us posted!

#80570 - 07/09/11 09:39 PM Re: Mentioning being a mother in my ERAS PS? [Re: asunshine]
asunshine Offline
Super Elite Member

Also, to tack on to this post, how much do you have to "explain" when an LOA was student-initiated, i.e. NOT taken because of mental health or performance issues? (I did research, etc. on the LOA, just wasn't enrolled as a student to save $$$ on tuition.)

Hope you don't mind me asking, nbp!

#80572 - 07/09/11 09:54 PM Re: Mentioning being a mother in my ERAS PS? [Re: asunshine]
nbp Offline
Super Elite Member

How dare you ask a question on MY post! LOL, j/k. Of course I don't mind. I'm not sure I totally understand your question, though. If you are already going to mention being a mom, I suppose there are two ways you could explain it: 1, that you took an LOA when your child was born and decided to take the opportunity to gain some valuable research experience, or 2, not use your kid as an "excuse" and just say you took an LOA to do research (hey, not everyone does a specific fellowship or program).

Glad to hear that someone else is including being a mom. I really don't need to for explanation purposes, so I guess I'm trying to figure out if it adds or detracts from my application (or neither). I do agree that if a program has a problem with it, I don't want to be there. On the other hand, I don't want subconscious discrimination to work to my disadvantage. Know what I mean?

#80575 - 07/09/11 11:04 PM Re: Mentioning being a mother in my ERAS PS? [Re: nbp]
nbp Offline
Super Elite Member

I also just realized that I could potentially leave it out of my PS and put it in the "Hobbies/Interests" part of the ERAS application (spending time with my daughter or something like that). Hmm...

#80576 - 07/09/11 11:46 PM Re: Mentioning being a mother in my ERAS PS? [Re: nbp]
asunshine Offline
Super Elite Member

I think I'd fall more into the #1 category, especially since the research was part time!

#80577 - 07/09/11 11:59 PM Re: Mentioning being a mother in my ERAS PS? [Re: asunshine]
nbp Offline
Super Elite Member

I think you could make this sound really great by saying you took the LOA when you had your child, but became actively involved in research during that time and had x y and z accomplishments... essentially make it about the research and not about your baby. You'll sound like a super star!

#80578 - 07/10/11 12:14 AM Re: Mentioning being a mother in my ERAS PS? [Re: asunshine]
mohm Offline
Elite Member

My 2 cents is to do what works with your PS. I wouldn't purposely put it in or leave it out. I would include it if it fit in the context of your PS. I think it's fine to include it in another part of your application such as hobbies/interests or as needed for explanation of an absence or prolonged training.

Your personal statement should tell a story about you that lets the program get to know you in the sea of applicants. The best personal statements I have read usually draw on some other interest or experience outside of medicine and draw parallels to the personal qualities and goals that person has in medicine.

#80606 - 07/12/11 10:36 AM Re: Mentioning being a mother in my ERAS PS? [Re: mohm]
AmmaMD Offline
Super Elite Member

1) What mohm said.

2) I talked about being a mother in my personal statement (in relation to how thinking about parenthood/trust had affected my clinical experience), applying in psych, and found that it went over REALLY well. I didn't get any negative reactions that I was aware of, but lots of faculty interviewers brought it up really positively.

#80612 - 07/13/11 12:01 AM Re: Mentioning being a mother in my ERAS PS? [Re: AmmaMD]
ohiomommd Offline
Elite Member

Loc: ohio
also what mohm said.

thinking back on it, i don't think I wrote about being a mom in my residency application.
but, having read a few as part of the resident-faculty-interviewing group, for sure at our program it would be a point of interest like "oh, so and so's got kids. make sure she meets with resident x"

I can't imagine any psych program that, on the balance, would not want a mom-resident as long as you can write or talk in interviews confidently about balance / childcare management, etc.

as a caution-- just like so many ppl sincerely wanted to go to med school b/c they like science and they like helping people that it's a little trite to write about it -- you don't want to sell yourself as a child psych in the making just b/c you have experience with your kids. (I know from your posts that's NOT the case, just a point).

ps I think it's so cool you're heading towards child psych!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >