2010 Pregnancy updates 264134
married momof3 resident2008 244928
illegal immigration and impact on medical field 234284
Affirmative action debate FINALLY invades Mommd 192239
Don't Quit This Day Job -- NYT op-ed 163578
Managing debt out of residency 150608
The "applying to med school this year" support thread 145380
Who's Online
0 registered (), 320 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#83960 - 02/20/12 10:33 PM Re: Planning a baby for mid-M2 with stay-at-home dad [Re: southernmd]
bluebird Offline

Not to worry - it's nice to hear that I'm not crazy for thinking I can pull out my pump and pump in the lounge under a breastfeeding cover! I thought it was a little odd to hear someone gave up on breastfeeding just because she didn't have a convenient place to pump!

I'll definitely check out those sites. Thanks for the tips!

#83963 - 02/20/12 11:48 PM Re: Planning a baby for mid-M2 with stay-at-home dad [Re: bluebird]
asunshine Offline
Super Elite Member

I pumped in a study room with the window covered. Otherwise I pumped in my car or on a couch in the bathroom. On wards, I pumped in the preop holding area or a sympathetic person's office. I wouldn't have been comfortable pumping in an open lounge with attendings and residents milling about. Hope that helped. Sorry if I sound snippy, too; just tired and uninspired today!

#83964 - 02/21/12 01:19 AM Re: Planning a baby for mid-M2 with stay-at-home dad [Re: asunshine]
Emily2651 Offline
Super Elite Member

Loc: California
Holy crap, I would never be comfortable pumping in public under a cover. I don't find it strange AT ALL that such a situation resulted in a woman "giving up". My mind is seriously blown.

I am pumping right now, as it happens. In a call room. With the door locked.

#83965 - 02/21/12 06:14 AM Re: Planning a baby for mid-M2 with stay-at-home dad [Re: Emily2651]
southernmd Offline
Super Elite Member

I did the car thing a lot too - the cord the pump gives you for your car was very convenient.

Emily - That IS a good reminder that not everyone has the same comfort level. Which is totally ok. I did generally seek out locked spaces too, but when push came to shove- the hider worked out.

Bluebird - If you look hard enough - there is usually somewhere or at least your car you can use. I also used to pump on the way to places in the car while my husband drove, so there were no moments of, "Hey, I'll meet you and our friends in 15 minutes for dinner while I go to the bathroom of this restaurant to pump first." That was also very helpful. You'll learn what works for you, but get creative and pack your hider in your pump bag!

#83966 - 02/21/12 10:51 AM Re: Planning a baby for mid-M2 with stay-at-home dad [Re: southernmd]
SW to MD Offline
Super Elite Member

Loc: Midwest
If you can do the car thing, I imagine it would work well. We are not allowed parking. Well, I should clarify that. For the entire campus, there is 1 parking spot for every 200 students on this campus. So, basically if you put yourself on a waiting list NOW, by the time you graduate, you may be able to get a spot. Oh, and priorities on the list? There are none. So those who live 10 minutes from campus with no children have the same priority as those of us with 4 children to drop off at three different locations and 8:00 am required class. /endrant

I'm with Emily. I would never feel comfortable pumping in a common lounge with attendings/various staff coming/going- and I bf three children for 10-12 months each and pumped for 11 months q3-4 hours for my youngest who couldn't bf.

But part of that may be the fact that we have one of those special lounges designed for bf'ing moms. smile I believe there are several locations throughout the main hospital that are set up for this, and I know there are at least 6 rooms dedicated to this at the children's hospital. So I am a little spoiled smile

#83967 - 02/21/12 03:08 PM Re: Planning a baby for mid-M2 with stay-at-home dad [Re: Emily2651]
tr_ Offline
Elite Member

Originally Posted By: Emily2651
Holy crap, I would never be comfortable pumping in public under a cover. I don't find it strange AT ALL that such a situation resulted in a woman "giving up". My mind is seriously blown.

Yeah me neither. I have trouble letting down for the pump anyways, I can't imagine how it would work if I were just standing there nonchalantly wearing a huge cape and making pump noises. (...And yeah I am pumping right now also, in my private office with the door locked thank you very much.)

OTOH when I was a 4th y resident I worked briefly with a med student who had just had a baby, and she was able to pump quite discreetly using a hand pump under a poncho. She did it in meetings and wherever. Sadly I cannot let down at all for a hand pump so this strategy was out for me.

I have, however, found pumping in the car to be a HUGE timesaver. HUGE. I have a 20-30 minute commute, and if I pump both ways I can drastically reduce my need to pump when actually at work.

Edited by tr_ (02/21/12 03:23 PM)

#83968 - 02/21/12 03:54 PM Re: Planning a baby for mid-M2 with stay-at-home dad [Re: tr_]
bluebird Offline

I was thinking of the student lounge, which is students-only and actually fairly private, but perhaps not ideal. I'll have to start thinking about a good place to go to pump when the time comes. There are private study rooms in the library, but the doors (which have windows) don't lock. I'd probably be ok facing away from the door and with a nursing cover or sweater... I don't want to have to pump in the bathroom between classes! We do have parking, but since it's across campus, it's not super convenient.

Actually, that brings me to a couple of possibly-obvious questions. When you pump, how long does it take? I was planning on a dual electric pump. How often do you pump? Is this something I need to do every hour or two, or can it wait for my lunch break? What's the difference between using a hand pump and an electric?

Sorry to keep pestering everyone with so many questions!

#83969 - 02/21/12 03:55 PM Re: Planning a baby for mid-M2 with stay-at-home dad [Re: tr_]
bluebird Offline

Originally Posted By: tr_

I have, however, found pumping in the car to be a HUGE timesaver. HUGE. I have a 20-30 minute commute, and if I pump both ways I can drastically reduce my need to pump when actually at work.

Can you actually pump while driving? How do you do that? Do you use one of those pumping bras? I drive about 30 min each way, so that could be big!

#83970 - 02/21/12 04:21 PM Re: Planning a baby for mid-M2 with stay-at-home dad [Re: bluebird]
southernmd Offline
Super Elite Member

You need to read www.kellymom.com and read about pumping. It will answer all of your questions way better than I could!

Here to get you started:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html

I pump while driving. Yes, I have a bra, but a regular, stiff-material bra works well.
I pumped every three hours - the same as the max time you should go between feeding the baby.

I never got anything out using my manual pump. I did great with my electric. I had an Ameda, but I think I would get something else next time. It did great, but there might be more powerful choices out there. I finished pumping about 6-7 oz in 10 minutes.

http://www.amazon.com/Ameda-Purely-Yours-Breast-Pump/dp/B004E9SW7G/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sw_10

This is the hands-free bra I used:
http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Wishes-Pumping-Bustier-Medela/dp/B003Y031KY/ref=pd_sim_ba_14

#83971 - 02/21/12 04:30 PM Re: Planning a baby for mid-M2 with stay-at-home dad [Re: bluebird]
tr_ Offline
Elite Member

Originally Posted By: bluebird
When you pump, how long does it take? I was planning on a dual electric pump. How often do you pump? Is this something I need to do every hour or two, or can it wait for my lunch break? What's the difference between using a hand pump and an electric?

1) 'They say' 15-20 minutes per session but it depends on you and how much you get out. I find if I can go for 30 I will often get a second letdown.

2) Frequency also depends on you and how much milk you get per session. I think pumping only 1x/day on your lunch break would work only if you happen to be someone who makes lots of milk and responds well to the pump. 2x or 3x/day I think are more common schedules. I try to pump every 2-2.5 h if I can but I'm not a big producer. Pumping more often for less time gets you more milk (eg 10 min q2h is better than waiting 4 h and pumping 20 min) but is obviously a lot harder to manage.

3) A hand pump is smaller, quieter, and doesn't need a battery or countertop surface to sit on but you can only pump one side at a time, and your hand might get tired. With a double electric and a hands-free bra you can do other stuff (like type or drive) while you pump. Most working moms use double electrics.

Quote:
Can you actually pump while driving? How do you do that? Do you use one of those pumping bras? I drive about 30 min each way, so that could be big!

Yeah I have a hands-free bra and I hook the whole thing up and turn it on before I start driving. I don't touch it again until I stop the car (except if I'm driving longer than I want to pump I might turn it off but not take down the setup until I park). I wear one of those little sweater-capes with the side tails, and I drape the tails over the pump horns just in case somebody peeks in my window while I am stopped at a light or something. smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >