Affirmative action debate FINALLY invades Mommd 197350
Don't Quit This Day Job -- NYT op-ed 167121
Managing debt out of residency 152744
The "applying to med school this year" support thread 149112
Why is it 146919
Not that I want to start my first entry this way.. 132816
Would you go into medicine again if you had the choice? 129457
Who's Online
1 registered (mohm), 286 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#83734 - 01/31/12 09:07 PM the 14-month itch
southernmd Offline
Super Elite Member

Is there such a thing as the 14-month itch?

To have another baby that is? My sweet one is 14 months, and I just want a new baby so bad! What's wrong with me? I adore my child, and I am absolutely captivated by him, and I am starting to want to give him a little sibling. I have the baby itch!

I am completely insane, because we don't plan to have our next until I'm a second-year resident. So that is two more years until I get pregnant again. Sigh.

Anybody else want a baby, but can't due to timing? Tell me I'm not crazy. PS - just search my posts. I DO NOT miss being pregnant. I hated it! I just want a second child! I am completely crazy.

#83735 - 01/31/12 09:13 PM Re: the 14-month itch [Re: southernmd]
SW to MD Offline
Super Elite Member

Loc: Midwest
Um, not at all. Mine are 24 months, 22 months, and 3.5 years apart. The only thing that prevented that third spacing from being less was M1- I was terrified of being a pregnant M1. lol

And I *hated* pregnancy. Give me a screaming newborn all day and night any day of the week over pregnancy. But it was worth every ache and pain to have the crew I do now.

So, why no 4th year baby???? wink

#83736 - 01/31/12 09:16 PM Re: the 14-month itch [Re: SW to MD]
southernmd Offline
Super Elite Member

Away rotations, interviews, military rotation that prohibits travel (i.e. rotation) after 20 weeks....so many reasons! There is no logistical way. Which is fine - I'll still be a reasonable age for a baby in two years, but I want a tiny little newborn again. My husband and I make very beautiful babies in my opinion, and I want to see what the next one looks like! (I'm really not this shallow, but if you could see my child - he is just very very pretty!)

Oh, and I just don't want to start my intern year with the nightmare that is pumping in a new place, new hospital, as a new doctor.

#83740 - 01/31/12 09:44 PM Re: the 14-month itch [Re: southernmd]
newmommdphd Offline
Elite Member

You ladies are supermoms. Seriously. I cannot, repeat, cannot imagine having another child right now, and my only kid is over 2 years old. Ha ha! I think the experience of having an infant during third year has killed my desire to balance medicine with mothering for the moment. I'm thinking, when my kid can talk, eat on his own, and is potty trained, I might start considering another one. I do miss having a baby sometimes, but overall, I'm quite content being the mother of one. This could also be because my husband is in medicine also, and I'm anticipating a rough road with the two of us in residency together. At the same time though, I think about age as well. I had my first in my late 20s, and if I wait too long, I'll approach AMA. I guess we'll see how it goes.

#83744 - 01/31/12 10:39 PM Re: the 14-month itch [Re: newmommdphd]
sahmd Offline
Super Elite Member

Isn't 14 months about the time one's menstrual cycles start back up again, too? Maybe it's the hormones talking, southernmd!

#83747 - 02/01/12 05:56 AM Re: the 14-month itch [Re: sahmd]
southernmd Offline
Super Elite Member

Mine have been up at at 'em for awhile! I have no idea! I'm in my early thirties, so I have some time, but I've also come to terms with being AMA for at least one baby. We'd really like to have three.

Well, at least I can talk on here about it! My husband usually brings me down to earth too. He wants another one also, but he is quick to remind me how ill-timed this would be, which is helpful.

#83757 - 02/01/12 04:41 PM Re: the 14-month itch [Re: southernmd]
megboo Offline
Super Elite Member

Loc: Not Illinois
I would love to have another sooner than later, but if I want to graduate with my class and avoid hell during internship, we're going to wait about 2 more years.

#83783 - 02/02/12 05:30 AM Re: the 14-month itch [Re: megboo]
lyn2006 Offline
Super Elite Member

Loc: New England
ha, I totally started getting the "itch" around then too, but we waited a bit longer until my anesthesia year started so I wouldn't start that AND feel sick and tired. But I know what you mean! And hate to tell you, but it just got worse smile

You can always match up here - we are family friendly and it's very possible to have an intern year baby wink

#83785 - 02/02/12 06:14 AM Re: the 14-month itch [Re: lyn2006]
southernmd Offline
Super Elite Member

lyn2006 - you wouldn't believe how often where you are has come up in conversation. Enough that we've looked at housing costs etc. already. I can't wait to apply this fall - we'll just see if anyone believes for a second this Southern girl is ready to leave the deep South for New England or other such places! (I am...I really really am!)

#83786 - 02/02/12 06:15 AM Re: the 14-month itch [Re: southernmd]
southernmd Offline
Super Elite Member

Megboo - it sounds like we might have another wave of babies around the same time! LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >