2010 Pregnancy updates 240268
married momof3 resident2008 225652
illegal immigration and impact on medical field 212687
Affirmative action debate FINALLY invades Mommd 173432
Nanny/AuPair 101 153531
Kids say the cutest/funniest things 149643
Don't Quit This Day Job -- NYT op-ed 143571
Who's Online
4 registered (becco, justperusing, sahmd, suncouch), 482 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#78769 - 03/20/11 11:25 AM cord blood banking
livana Offline

Hi,
I was writing to ask what all of you doctor mom's think of banking cord blood. I did not bank it for my 2 daughters, partly because I was a resident who had been out of work for months prior to their birth, and partly because most people I talked to did not think it was very important.

For some reason now I feel anxious and regretful, and wish I had worked out a way to do it. Looking for your thought.
Thank you!

#78771 - 03/20/11 11:46 AM Re: cord blood banking [Re: livana]
sahmd Online   content
Super Elite Member

I also wanted to do it, but my OB said that it would not be worthwhile, so I did not do it. I do wonder about it sometimes, though.

#78772 - 03/20/11 01:38 PM Re: cord blood banking [Re: sahmd]
southernmd Offline
Super Elite Member

I did not do it, as we don't have any history of anything that would have required it in my family. I wanted to - we read about it, and then we talked to all the moms and dads that we respect and think do a great job, and they did not do it. I trusted their judgement and still do, but if I were independently wealthy - I would have done it in a heartbeat. It was a tough decision.

#78774 - 03/20/11 01:53 PM Re: cord blood banking [Re: southernmd]
scrubbedin Offline

I didnt do private cord blood banking, but I did donate our son's cord blood to a public bank. I'm told by the public bank that if he ever needed it and it was still available, he could get his own. This was free.
When you look at the stats for how many people have actually used the cord blood they bank, it's an incredible amount of money to spend for an incredibly low chance you'd ever use it.

#78775 - 03/20/11 03:39 PM Re: cord blood banking [Re: scrubbedin]
sahmd Online   content
Super Elite Member

scrubbedin, I found out about public cord banking after the fact and wished I had done that, too!

#78776 - 03/20/11 03:40 PM Re: cord blood banking [Re: scrubbedin]
clee03m Offline
Super Elite Member

We did it. Yes, it is very expensive, but we see it as insurance. I pay a lot of money for disability insurance and life insurance, too. We will do it again if we have another one.

If you are a physician, they offer a nice physician discount.

#78855 - 03/24/11 08:37 PM Re: cord blood banking [Re: clee03m]
SKent Offline

I chose to bank my baby's cord blood because my baby is of mixed descent. It can be pretty hard to find a match from public banks (greater chances are if you are Caucasian).

It was a hefty sum of money, but we received donations from friends and family through a gift registry program that was set up through the bank, PacifiCord.

I also received a discount for being a medical professional. I believe it is worth saving your baby's cord blood because they are testing on curing new diseases everyday through use of stem cells. I am happy I did it, and recommend it to my friends and family as well.

#78869 - 03/27/11 10:32 PM Re: cord blood banking [Re: SKent]
docE Offline
Elite Member

As a pediatric resident on Heme/Onc rotation now with several patients on the bone marrow transplant unit, we have discussed this with our attendings, and cord blood banking with the intention of using if for treatment of your child to cure a disease the chances are virtually zero. Peripheral blood or occasionally bone marrow is used for stem cell transplant--cord blood is rarely used. If your child has a disease that affects the bone marrow then these cord cells are usesless, and if they are getting transplanted for a non-marrow issue than they can bank their own cells. Matched sibling donors are the best source, and if not available then unrelated donors are second best. Cord blood is great for research but not frequently used for transplant for the same person to get their own cells back. Bottom line, waste of money.

#78877 - 03/28/11 02:48 AM Re: cord blood banking [Re: docE]
AmmaMD Offline
Super Elite Member

I donated.

Given the unbelievably low chance that you would both need it and be able to use it, if you really want to put that money towards protecting your child's health, I think statistics would say you're better off putting it towards a safer car, a more expensive childcare center that requires less of a commute, or a nanny that comes to you so that your kid isn't being driven daily. Or hire some professional child-proofers, making sure you include bolting your bookcases to the walls. Live somewhere where air pollution levels are lower. Buy one of those alarms that goes off if the car keys are moved than 100 feet from your car with a the carseat still buckled, to make sure your child is never accidentally left in the car.

I fear this is starting to sound flippant, but I don't mean it that way - I mean very seriously that I think we are not very good at fairly estimating risk and incorporating that into a cost-benefit analysis of what the best way to help our kids are - and that being a physician actually can skew our judgement even further. It is SO HARD not to bias what you worry about by what you see and what strikes you the hardest - I remember a few pediatric trauma cases from my training that left me heartsick for weeks (and I still feel a wrenching in my gut when I think of them), and I will probably always be overly cautious about a few low probability dangers because of them. Given this tendency, though, I think trying to be really thoughtful and evidence-based about how to allocate particularly your financial resources when trying to protect your children is important.

#84032 - 02/26/12 02:42 AM Re: cord blood banking [Re: AmmaMD]
lakdhsue Offline

Spam

Edited by southernmd (02/26/12 07:12 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >