2010 Pregnancy updates 267281
married momof3 resident2008 250795
illegal immigration and impact on medical field 239654
Affirmative action debate FINALLY invades Mommd 196676
Don't Quit This Day Job -- NYT op-ed 166375
Managing debt out of residency 152290
The "applying to med school this year" support thread 148613
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#84073 - 02/28/12 10:04 PM Re: Birthmarkings [Re: tr_]
nbp Offline
Super Elite Member

Originally Posted By: tr_
Third year just didn't seem like such a big deal in comparison, and though I wasn't a parent at the time I can imagine that motherhood would probably have a similar (or, more likely, greater) effect.

I can't speak towards the PhD perspective, but having taken a research year prior to clinicals and becoming a mother during that time, YES. I came back with so much perspective. People often ask me "how do you manage to be a medical student AND a mom?" and it's funny, but in some ways it's made things better, at least on the med student end - no matter how sh*tty my day is or what's going on at work, I have living proof that there is MORE to life. Medical school does not make me, it is just part of what I do with my time. (OTOH, I had way less time to study/party/slack off/whatever because of the little one at home. Ultimately, worth it!).

#84074 - 02/28/12 10:10 PM Re: Birthmarkings [Re: Emily2651]
Doc201X Offline
Super Elite Member

Loc: Hot a$$ Texas
What a quasi depressing thread about body image!!! I'd recommend folks check out todays front page article on the cover of the WaPo about Black women and body image. I'm clearly not advocating obesity, but a strong sense of self from a group of women whose beauty standards aren't always celebrated!!

Interestingly, I'm only about 15 pounds heavier (which i needed) than I was prepregnancy, needing to have a baby to get hips, lol!!! However, I regularly think that if I had had just one more baby, I'd be Erykah Badu fine, the more booty the better!!!!

That said, I'm guessing most of you area being way too harsh on yourselves!!!

Edited by Path201X (02/28/12 10:16 PM)

#84077 - 02/28/12 10:45 PM Re: Birthmarkings [Re: Emily2651]
asunshine Offline
Super Elite Member

Great posts, everyone. I guess I'm of 2 minds on this; on one hand, I wouldn't want to re-live my 20s again. Too much angst! Will I get married? Will I have kids? When? Will I have fertility issues? Will my kids have medical problems? Will I get into medical school? etc etc etc. I like where I am now, and I don't feel like I have anyone to impress. Looks-wise, at least.

That being said...I'm not comfortable "letting myself go" just yet. Fashion is one last art form in an otherwise rather science-minded profession wink. And Goodwill has such neat stuff!

So on to the thirties: Where will I match? Will my kids be well-adjusted? Do we have enough put away for retirement? Where's the machine with the extra-large scrubs? etc....

#84081 - 02/29/12 02:40 PM Re: Birthmarkings [Re: asunshine]
tr_ Offline
Elite Member

OK I don't know exactly what everyone means by 'letting oneself go' but now I suspect I have given everyone this mental image of me as an obese, scraggly-haired troll wearing a taped pair of glasses and a forgotten pumping bra, and a lapel button that reads "What YOU lookin at?!".

So like I said, I do like to be a healthy weight and I wear reasonably passable clothing (albeit I'm not very fashion-oriented, but I do like shoes!), and I certainly want to retain and fan whatever ragged remnants are left of the initial sizzle in my marriage.

Along those lines, I just got myself a nice haircut and blowout yesterday! Which my husband did not notice. Next item on the agenda: pedicure!! Maybe next week if I can figure out the logistics. smile

#84082 - 02/29/12 02:49 PM Re: Birthmarkings [Re: tr_]
Emily2651 Offline
Super Elite Member

Loc: California
I was actually picturing the opposite: a fit woman whose confidence and natural beauty speak for themselves.

Me, not so much. But I can recommend a great/cheap/local pedicure. My life may be a quagmire, but my toes look fab.

#84083 - 02/29/12 03:17 PM Re: Birthmarkings [Re: Emily2651]
tr_ Offline
Elite Member

Thanks for the boost, sweetie. You go on with your bad bikini-body self!

And I'd love to hear your pedicure rec.

#84084 - 02/29/12 10:00 PM Re: Birthmarkings [Re: Emily2651]
asunshine Offline
Super Elite Member

Originally Posted By: Emily2651
I was actually picturing the opposite: a fit woman whose confidence and natural beauty speak for themselves.

Yes, that.

I am wearing sweatpants and a ponytail right now (after eating 3 cookies) so you can see I clearly hurtle toward entropy if not kept in check. Oh, to have tr's poise!

Anyone else going to let their hair go grey when it happens? It might be fun...

#84085 - 02/29/12 10:11 PM Re: Birthmarkings [Re: asunshine]
southernmd Offline
Super Elite Member

I ate key lime cake at the nurse's station today. Apparently said cake had a million eggs and oil in it i.e. the secret to the moistness. Ugh.

Why do the nurses always bake?

Going grey...well, the way I view it - my blonde highlights will just switch to being greyish-blonde? I don't plan on doing Botox or anything like that. I am not sure of what sort of hair I'll have, but my grandma always had a mix of greyish-brown that was kind of a naturalish look, but not as grey as she actually was. I always that that was nice.

#84087 - 02/29/12 11:25 PM Re: Birthmarkings [Re: southernmd]
AmmaMD Offline
Super Elite Member

I've been pondering the grey issue - I think it will depend on a lot on what type of grey I end up with. I feel like in my specialty, there's a lot of benefit to looking older and relatively little penalty, although I do worry about it impacting me on the hiring / research side, since it will emphasize that I'm old for the jobs I'm applying for out of fellowship (stupid MD/PhD thing, with a bit of time for kids on the side...). So, once I'm tenure-track, if I end up with a respectable looking salt-and-pepper pattern, I think I'll take it! But if I end up with the frazzled, washed out looking grey, I'll perhaps dye.

SouthernMD - I like your grandma's strategy!! I'm going to remember that one!

#84090 - 03/01/12 06:47 AM Re: Birthmarkings [Re: AmmaMD]
Doc201X Offline
Super Elite Member

Loc: Hot a$$ Texas
I'm definitely NOT going to let my hair turn silver (not gray, thanks to my Cherokee blood).

Call me vain, but I rather like still being asked if I had my 15 year old in high school, lol!!! But she HATES it when we're asked if we're sisters, ROTFLMAO!!!!

Anyone else got the "sister" thing going on with their daughter(s)? I think is soooo cute when I see mother/daughter "twins" in public!!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3