The new MomMD forum is here!

Login IDs, display names and passwords have not changed. Log in with the same credentials as always.

After logging in to the forum, please take a few minutes to update your profile. Select the Profile tab and then the small Edit button in the upper right and click through the four sub-tabs to view or change profile settings, and to set your new forum avatar.

Questions or comments? Email us at forumadmin@mommd.com or post your issue in the "General Discussion: New Forum Rollout - Discussion and Questions" forum topic.

Happy chatting, from the MomMD team!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General Discussion

TOPIC: Please Help! Low USMLE scores and interviews!

Please Help! Low USMLE scores and interviews! 9 years 1 month ago #18655

Hi Ladies,

I really need some advice since I'm panicking and almost making myself sick over this. I didn't do well on either of my USMLE tests - 183 and 182 to be exact. There is no excuse, I just happen to be a terrible test taker with multiple choice, always have, always will. :tired:

My heart is broken. Can someone give me some advice? My story is a lot more in depth then what I put here, but right now I'm jsut super concerned about these scores. :weeping:

Any advice would be great. thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Please Help! Low USMLE scores and interviews! 9 years 1 month ago #18656

• efex101
As long as you passed there should be no issues. I am confused a little, you already have interviews right? so have they not seen your scores yet? I thought that residency directors will usually not extend interviews until they have seen your scores? and if this is so then if you passed and you have been invited what is the problem? just wondering.

Re: Please Help! Low USMLE scores and interviews! 9 years 1 month ago #18657

Hi Efex,

I did pass, I'm like on THE line for passing. My two digit scores would be 75 each I guess.

I was under the assumption they wouldn't invite me for an interview if they didn't like my scores as well. But I've been reading interview sites and it seems that you can be ranked last or not at all with low scores. They do have my scores already - and they did extend the interview knowing my scores.

Perhaps one of my biggest worries is that ever since medical school my self esteem academically has gone to hell and I don't feel like I'm a worth a damn. Mind you, I graduated from an Ivy League undergrad with honors in biochem (I even had a minor!)- but after the grades I got in med school I just feel like a failure. No matter what I do - I get the big P, even in clinical where I'd do so well and then that damn test would pull me down to a pass over and over.

I was reading a review for residency interviews and thats where it said a question to ask programs is "do you rank applicants with low scores at all?" which to me implies that some programs don't.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement, hopefully a program will see my potential beyond the grades.

Re: Please Help! Low USMLE scores and interviews! 9 years 1 month ago #18658

• efex101
You have accomplished a LOT! please do not thing that getting a P is NOT a huge accomplishment in itself. Not all medical students will honor/high pass so do not be so hard on yourself. I know that this process is very humbling believe me, but I still think that no matter what, you will still graduate with an M.D. and nobody can take that away from you. From all the medical school classes in the nation when all medical students do the match not ALL have stellar grades/board scores/etc..yet they still match so keep your chin up girl. I think that if you have so many interviews that you will match somewhere. Did you apply to high/middle/low of the row programs? a good spattering? good luck! and keep us posted.

Re: Please Help! Low USMLE scores and interviews! 9 years 1 month ago #18659

I love this forum... where has it been my whole med school life?

Thank you SO much for your words of encouragement. I applied to umm.. all of them pretty much, top, middle and low (at least I think, I can't find the ranking for psych programs)

I have some specific ones in mind that I really want and they invited me for interview so now I guess I should just put my best foot forward and pray :)

I will definitely keep you posted and thanks again Efex :) :grouphug:

Re: Please Help! Low USMLE scores and interviews! 9 years 1 month ago #18660

• TBird
Hey, I just wanted to chime in with some words of encouragement!

Interviewing and making a rank list is an extremely time consuming process for a residency program. They wouldn't have invited you for an interview if there wasn't something about you and your application that interested them.

You should be prepared to talk about your test scores during the interview, but I know that when my FP program interviewed for the next intern class, we were more interested in what kind of partner the applicant might make. Were they the kind of person you'd want to be admitting a difficult patient with at 2am? Test scores ARE important, but we tended to place more weight on their grades from clinical rotations and letters of recommendation from their attendings, rather than their ability to sit and fill in scantron sheets for hours.

So, go to your interviews with confidence and try to focus on your strengths. Good luck, and let us know how things go! :crossfingers:
Time to create page: 1.800 seconds