The new MomMD forum is here!

Login IDs, display names and passwords have not changed. Log in with the same credentials as always.

After logging in to the forum, please take a few minutes to update your profile. Select the Profile tab and then the small Edit button in the upper right and click through the four sub-tabs to view or change profile settings, and to set your new forum avatar.

Questions or comments? Email us at forumadmin@mommd.com or post your issue in the "General Discussion: New Forum Rollout - Discussion and Questions" forum topic.

Happy chatting, from the MomMD team!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Women Premed Students

TOPIC: disappointing MCAT score. Re-take?

disappointing MCAT score. Re-take? 3 years 6 months ago #79989

Hi everyone! I just received my MCAT score and it was the lowest of all of my practice tests: a 29R (10 PS 10 BS, 9 VR). My fiance and I live in new york and I plan to apply to schools that will be commutable for both of us (he is a fashion photographer and shoots and edits in Manhattan). 16 schools in NYC, Long Island, Brooklyn, and Philadelphia.

I feel like a 29 isn't really good enough but am not sure whether I should re-take. I had pretty horrible test anxiety last time. GPA was a 3.85 overall, 3.6 (math and science). I was a dance major and have over 6 years of clinical experience (between college and my job post graduation), I teach yoga, and am involved in 2 research. I also was an RA and worked at least 20 hours per week through college.
"In life as in dance, grace glides on blistered feet."--Alice Abrams
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: disappointing MCAT score. Re-take? 3 years 6 months ago #80028

• asunshine
  • Platinum Member
It's a fine score. And balanced too. I had a 29N and still got in early decision. It's a gamble no matter how u slice it. You can always reapply if this cycle isn't kind to you. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

Re: disappointing MCAT score. Re-take? 3 years 2 months ago #82070

Thank you so much for your supportive response. I decided to apply to 10 schools instead (I weeded out some of the schools where the stats seem to favor super high MCAT score... including my alma mater, NYU). It is early October, all of my apps are complete, but no word as of yet. I'm going to start reviewing my MCAT flash cards just incase.

I have a back-up plan in mind. I have discovered that I absoluely love research and would love to throw myself into the academic sided of medicine for the next year if things don't work out this cycle. DO and podiatry schools will be added to the mix next year. Does anyone know a good DO in New York that is open for shadowing?

Any other suggestions?
"In life as in dance, grace glides on blistered feet."--Alice Abrams

Re: disappointing MCAT score. Re-take? 3 years 2 months ago #82072

• megboo
  • Platinum Member
29R is fine. If you've been reading studendoctor.net try not to let the 35+ scores get to you. Apply broadly, but if you are more than your score then you will get interviews. Especially if you are applying DO too.

In fact, if you have your MCAT score, why aren't you applying to DO schools now?
"Some of it's magic and some of it's tragic but I had a good life all the way."<br />- He Went to Paris by Jimmy Buffett

Re: disappointing MCAT score. Re-take? 3 years 2 months ago #82079

My MCAT was a 29 also! I am doing great in medical school, did great on boards, and not for a second do I think about that MCAT score unless I see someone like yourself posting they are upset about it! LOL. How ironic.

Apply broadly. Apply where you want to also. I see where DO is mentioned, but I actually feel very strongly that if you aren't into OMM - don't apply DO. I have some DO friends, and I think they are very smart. They also love the OMM they do. However, I don't like it at all, and I would be frustrated with it being in my curriculum, so I am glad I am MD. This is a very expensive and long venture, so if you aren't ok with either - just apply where you are ok. I also have friends who ONLY applied DO, because they didn't want to go to a med school that DIDN'T teach OMM - that's how much they believed in it. Fair enough.

So I'm not in the camp that says to use DO schools to broaden your app unless you KNOW you are cool with both types of school. The ONLY difference is OMM btw. Both DO and MD do the same thing and are great doctors.

Re: disappointing MCAT score. Re-take? 3 years 2 months ago #82090

I agree with everything said above. However, I think you should go ahead and throw those other 6 programs in. You never know. You may have something to offer that the school is looking for. Especially with your degree being in dance. It provides diversity to the class when everyone isn't a pre-med, bio, or chem major. So, if it were me I would go ahead and throw those other 6 in. Yes it is expensive, but the cost would definitely be offset my having a doctors salary one year earlier.
Moderators: TexasRose, efex101
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds