The new MomMD forum is here!

Login IDs, display names and passwords have not changed. Log in with the same credentials as always.

After logging in to the forum, please take a few minutes to update your profile. Select the Profile tab and then the small Edit button in the upper right and click through the four sub-tabs to view or change profile settings, and to set your new forum avatar.

Questions or comments? Email us at forumadmin@mommd.com or post your issue in the "General Discussion: New Forum Rollout - Discussion and Questions" forum topic.

Happy chatting, from the MomMD team!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Women Premed Students
  • Page:

TOPIC: getting into med school with a bachelors of nursing

getting into med school with a bachelors of nursing 5 years 3 months ago #37762

is it possible to get into a med school with a bachelors in nursing because it is in a science i wanted to do that to leave my options open so i can be a nurse practiceioner if i can not do med school that is my ultimate goal but i'm afraid it will be too hard to do with a family any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: getting into med school with a bachelors of nursing 5 years 3 months ago #37763

• babylove
  • Elite Member
Most likely not--the reason is that nursing programs usually have special science courses for nurses. These do not fulfill the requirement for entry to medical school.

If you want to leave your options open, take the regular science courses geared towards science majors/pre-meds. This would be 2 years of chemistry, 1 year of physics, 1 year of bio , and 1 sememster of calculus

Re: getting into med school with a bachelors of nursing 5 years 3 months ago #37764

i am taking all of the pre-reqs for the schools med program that i want to go to as well should i call the admissions dept at the school?

Re: getting into med school with a bachelors of nursing 5 years 3 months ago #37765

Yes, you can get into medical school with a BS in nursing. You just have to make sure you take the required pre-req's for medical school as stated above. You don't need another degree. I have a doctor friend whose bachelor's is in nursing as he worked as a nurse for 7 years before going to medical school. Also, you do not have to have a science degree to go to medical school. You can have any 4 year degree as long as you have the additional required courses.
LECOM class 2006<br /><br />Need help with your personal statement? Feel free to PM me any time for assistance.

Re: getting into med school with a bachelors of nursing 5 years 3 months ago #37766

Yes, you most certainly can get your BSN and still go to med school afterwards. That was my original plan because I also wanted to keep my options open. I got 1 class away from applying into a nursing program for my BSN, and I met with an advisor at the 4 yr university and they discouraged me from my decision. That was because they HATE sending people through a competitive nursing program knowing once they are RN's, they won't work as one. They are basically using their nursing degree as a stepping stool for something bigger, you know what I mean?? Although it'll be nicer to know more than your fellow classmates in med school about the human body and medicine in general, the bad part is that you'll be stuck doing an extra 2-3 years worth of pre-med classes. That's a lot of time and money. I'm glad I got to shave those years off my education plan. :)
BUT if you do decide you want to go that route, be sure not to let anyone (in the nursing admissions office) know of your decision, so they don't frown on your idea and keep you from getting in. Just a thought! :wave:
The mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Re: getting into med school with a bachelors of nursing 5 years 3 months ago #37767

• EarthSky
When I first went to college, I didn't know that you could get a bachelors in nursing (yes, we were THAT ignorant of education beyond high school). I wish I'd known because I probably would have pursued the BSN instead of the biology/pre-med degree.

So I didn't get the BSN, and I didn't get into med school right away. Then "life happened", and I didn't have nursing to fall back on.

And a bachelors degree in biology isn't worth much unless you plan to be a teacher or pursue further education.
  • Page:
Moderators: TexasRose, efex101
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds