what a wonderful thing is the end of a string

More
10 years 1 month ago #70323 by Melbelle
I am finally relaxing! Yes!!!

I think I am going to clean my house!

Yes, I'm a bit cluttery. Hubby is not. He has probably scrubbed the toilet twice in the last 5 years, and the shower once. Never mopped. But my papers on the table? He can't stand them. What a nut.

Since he really wants to have kids (and I keep telling him I can't take care of them and work and do the housework), he's contemplating the stay-at-home dad role. I'm a little dubious about this. I think he'd be great with kids, but not with things like meals and housework. He says we'll hire a housekeeper. :rolleyes:

And I am not pregnant yet. I was about to go back to my doctor when I got my period. Once. Now the second one is late, whatever late is for someone who has always been irregular.

For the good news, I got my medical school applications off! I applied to 7 schools - 2 MD and 5 DO. I hated writing all those mini-essays about activities (not to mention the personal statement), but it's done now! Just waiting for secondaries with more mini-essays. I don't like writing, but I really should get used to it. I think it's a good skill to have.

I am recently home from visiting relatives, and happy to be working. Research is going well, and I'm about to start the data analysis for my undergraduate thesis. The evenings are mine, and I'm enjoying them. Tonight we had homemade chile relleno burritos and cookies. Not extravagant, but something that I wanted to make and actually had time to. I really do love to cook. If that monster zucchini is still any good, I'll make many loaves of zucchini bread tomorrow, and who knows what else! I love having my evenings back!

:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #70324 by Backatit
Melbelle,

I just want to say I stumbled upon your blog and I enjoyed reading every post even the one where you complained of being negative. I have a long way to go but you are inspiring me.

Thanks for posting.

Reyana

More
10 years 1 month ago #71535 by Melbelle
Only time for a quick update today, as I should be making breakfast and coffee instead of sitting at my computer...

I got my applications done the first week of September. AMCAS has verified me, but AACOMAS is notoriously slow, so nothing from them yet.

I'm slightly nervous about my applications being in a little late, but I'm trying not to worry about it too much. I received a fee request from Mayo, which I gave them. They don't do a secondary. I would love to get in there, but it's a long shot for anyone, and my GPA is not up to their standards. Still, here's hoping!

I'm still a little undecided about the MD/DO thing, but I lean toward DO still.

I applied to 7 schools: 2 MD and 5 DO. I'm not sure if this is enough - I'm going to ask my advisor about it. The upshot is that I'd be happy to go to any of those schools.

In other news, we just had officer elections for the club that I started last year, and a new group of officers is in! Including a new president! I'm so happy and relieved about that. It's great to see something I started living on and going strong! It's also great that I am not in charge anymore. :grin:

My husband has been helping a little more with cooking, which is somewhat promising. He really wants kids (probably mentioned this before), but I told him that I really can't do all the housework and take care of kids and do the cooking and go to med school. So he's trying. I'm still very skeptical about having kids right before/during med school, but I'll be in my late 30's when I finish residency, and I'm not comfortable with starting then, either. I keep saying I can always take time off if I need to, but I'd really rather not. I just want to get done!

Sometimes I think I just want to be younger. I have to remember to appreciate the experiences and maturity I have gained. Sometimes, though, I think of how many more options I'd have if I had gone straight through college, known what I wanted to do, and done it. I'd be almost done with residency!

I like my life, though. When I was younger I never expected that I would want kids. That's really the complicating factor.

Okay, I really need to get ready to go.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #71791 by Melbelle
The term is going pretty well. I'm loving my classes. It's likely because there are fewer of them... but also because I'm done with all the weird prereqs that I didn't want to take anyway. Now I have my senior classes, which are great (makes sense, seeing as I picked this major), and a few science classes. And some electives. I have thesis credits I'm taking, and that's going pretty well.

We're starting a new study next week, and I spent all day today trying to work out some of the details for it. So many details, but I'm enjoying that, too. I researched ideal cutting speeds and cutting instruments for bone to minimize heat-related damage. The literature is all over the place on that. I finally called the dentist I used to work for and asked for some advice. It was a little awkward, because I hadn't talked to him in awhile, I was trying to rush because he was fitting the call in with a patient in the chair numbing up, and I was on a cell phone that was cutting out. Very frustrating. He was very helpful, though. I do miss working there sometimes. I enjoyed it, but it's just not what I wanted to do with the rest of my life.

I'm working on secondary applications. I'm still a little torn on my application choices. I applied primarily DO, because I think that OMM is valuable. Unfortunately, I'm already getting anti-DO sentiments. My boss actually told me that she thought it was a terrible idea to apply to osteopathic schools. She told me to just go to an MD school and take CE credits in musculoskeletal techniques later. I guess I could have done that, but I think the education is comparable, and thus I should not be bullied by people (as her main argument was that I'd be discriminated against). Meh. If I actually thought the education was second-rate, there's no way I'd do it. I'm comforted to know that many DO students take the USMLE and do perfectly well on it, and I intend to do that as well to keep my options open. I'll hold onto that while trying not to be hyper-sensitive when people state that I'll be getting an inferior education. Chances are I will be going DO, but sometimes I feel like adding a couple of last-minute MD options to my application. Shouldn't I know what I want by now??? :crazy:

In other news, my lawn is completely gone, and in its place is a sea of leaves. I actually do not like fall. Or winter. This is a gloomy area to live in if you don't love rain. I tolerate it, but I don't love it. Our rain started a week or two ago, and I know that it will continue until April, maybe May. It's just depressing.

Also, I have decided that if the field of medicine were completely gone, I would most definitely be a chef. I just watched "Julie & Julia" last night, and I can so totally relate to people who love good food. It makes me want to go to France. But alas, there will not be money for that for a long, long time.

I will make some apple pies this weekend, though! It's apple season, and they are everywhere, including covering half the surfaces in my kitchen. Something has got to be done. I think apple pie, pumpkin pie, scones, and pumpkin bread for the weekend. Then I'll drop off goodies for unsuspecting friends. I love it. :D

I wish it were easier to mail food. I would send everyone goodies.

More
9 years 11 months ago #72017 by Melbelle
So somehow I spent the last two weekends slacking off and now I'm paying for it. Today I had an essay for a class due, an exam, and a secondary application due (which included multiple essays). I hope by "due 11/16" it means by midnight or something, and not by 5 p.m., or 7 a.m. Yikes.

I wrote the essays and I emailed them to my sister to proofread for me. She called to complain about a friend, rattled on for half an hour, then said she'd call back after she read the essays. :/ My sister.

In other news, I signed up for a half-marathon. A friend was doing it, and it seemed like a good way to get in shape. I regret that decision almost daily. I cannot run far enough yet, and I'm not entirely sure I will be able to in time. I guess we'll find out!

So school is going okay, and I'm still filling out secondaries. I have my first interview scheduled, and found out my school only sent in some of my letters of recommendation - the one they left out, of course, was the letter from a doctor I shadowed. Of course. I'm certainly glad I was specific in asking them what was wrong and communicated this to my school before telling the lady at the medical school that she was just overlooking it somehow! :grin: That could have been bad.

I hate writing essays. I will never be a writer. I don't like writing. This blog doesn't count, because this is rambling and does not need to be coherent.

I am a little sad that I applied so late. I think I will still get in somewhere (because maybe I am overconfident), but I just want to be done, and to know, and to have a plan.

I'm also finally learning about fat synthesis and beta-oxidation. I never learned them in biochem - it didn't make sense, and I didn't apply the amount of time necessary to sort it out. Hence the C in biochem. Now I have to repeat the same material (with some tie-ins to diet) for my nutrition classes, and I'm doing it! It's really not that bad. The names are still confusing, and the questions are confusing, but I'm getting it.

Finally, on the last note, I do not feel well. :( My husband made dinner last night. It was a very spicy Thai curry with chili peppers and lemongrass. It was too spicy for me to eat, but he doesn't cook much, so I ate it anyway. I can't tell if I'm still suffering from that or I'm getting sick, but my throat hurts and my stomach hurts. Sad me. I am such a wimp with hot food.

More
9 years 11 months ago #72140 by Melbelle
So excited!!!

My first interview is Friday. I'm finishing up my last secondary, then I'll pack up! It's a long flight - including 2 time zone changes - but this is the farthest I'll be going.

Oh, this is so good! Trying not to think of the things that could go wrong, and just be excited! :) :eek:

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!