what a wonderful thing is the end of a string

More
8 years 5 months ago #79913 by Melbelle
Somehow I haven't updated this in a very long time.

Long story short:

I am 2 1/2 weeks and 4 exams (3 after today) from being out for the summer, and potentially a year. It might just be my current burn-out, but a year off with the baby is sounding nice. As fun as it would be to fight the administration for an October break, I just don't feel like struggling through next year. MS1 while pregnant was already much more difficult than I thought it would be, and rumor is a newborn is harder.

My husband finally got a job. Our lease expires in 1 month, so it's a good thing he did. The bad news is that upgrading to a larger apartment where we can fit another body (we are in a tiny 1-bedroom right now) is expensive in this city. The car died last week, so we got another - which we also needed to do before the baby came because it was old and unreliable, but most importantly, only had two seats. I'm trying not to panic about how quickly his new income is disappearing in the new bills. I guess all that means is that we really couldn't have waited much longer.

I can't wait for summer! I have a research job lined up that sounds very fun. I just need to buckle down and study for a couple more weeks. I am finally getting my energy back (at 19 weeks), but I am totally lacking motivation! Must study!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #81860 by Melbelle
Well, here's the quick update. Summer was okay - not great. I didn't love the lab job, but I am sure it was a valuable learning experience, or something. Summer heat plus pregnancy is a terrible combo, so I laid around like a swollen lump after work most days, and the house is still not unpacked from the move.

I worked out a plan for this coming year, which is half-time research. I am putting in as much time as I can now so I can take a good chunk of time off when the baby comes, which should be quite soon now. I'm 36 weeks along, and very uncomfortable. It comes and goes, but right now I feel like she is just way too big for the space allotted her. I guess that means the belly will give up and pop out another couple of inches soon. :p

The good news about the half-time research is that I can keep my student status, not have to mess with my loans, and still get health insurance and financial aid. I think in the end I will be glad I did something to stay active and involved in school during this year, but I still wonder. I don't really see another time when I'll ever have the chance to just take a year off, so I don't know why I keep adding things to it.

I am almost ready for the baby to come! I have her room most of the way set up, and am in the middle of washing clothes and blankets and things and getting them organized. Since I have no stinking idea what I am doing I am preparing everything I can think of, because I am sure there will be countless surprises! :)

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #82522 by Melbelle
Baby's due date came and went yesterday. Ha! I wish it were a deadline like what "due" means in the rest of life. :)

Oh well. I just realized a couple of days ago that my husband's grandmother is coming to visit next week, so I'm starting maternity leave then. Hopefully I'll have a baby here for her to see, but who knows! I had been cutting back my hours these last couple of weeks anyway, since I was crazy tired. I wanted to work until the baby came so my leave time could maximize time with her. If she comes tonight... success! Otherwise, I'm sure I'll appreciate the extra sleep.

I like my lab, though! It is interesting work, and I am finding that the more exposure I have to endocrinology the more I enjoy it. This has not been true of any other field, although we'll see what happens when I (eventually) hit my clinical years.
Last Edit: by .

More
6 years 8 months ago #88842 by thinkinghard
Hey melbelle, I've enjoyed reading your posts here quite a bit!

How is the little one?

My ramblings: <a href=" sometimesomeplace.wordpress.com/ " rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> sometimesomeplace.wordpress.com/ </a>

Time to create page: 0.250 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!