what a wonderful thing is the end of a string

More
10 years 3 months ago #70317 by Melbelle
My last goof-off time in front of the computer for a few days! I'm taking the MCAT on Friday, and I'm feeling okay about it. I did a full-length timed practice test today sitting in one place, no water, etc. It was not too bad. It confirmed that I still need to work on physics, but I kind of expected that. :blush:

Otherwise it was fine! It helped me judge the time involved and how to manage it, and made me feel more confident about chemistry, which is nice.

So - a couple more hours tonight, then physics all day tomorrow, and then I'll be set!

I can't wait to have this thing done. And then I think I will finally finally clean my house. I think my dad is coming to visit this weekend, so I guess I'd better! Can't put it off any longer!

Good luck to anyone else studying for exams! Get some sleep!

:D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #70318 by Melbelle
I still have not submitted my medical school application. I need to get on that or decide to wait. One or the other. I think I'll go ahead and submit. I've also decided to submit to both MD and DO programs to feel out the differences better for myself. I'll probably go DO unless I get into an MD school I absolutely love. I think that's a good way to balance my indecision. And spending time at the schools will give me a better understanding of what the differences truly are.

I finally finally was able to relax last night. My husband and I went to a friend's house and just hung out. It was so nice to just play. I've been working long days, including weekends. My dental assistant experience paid off in the animal surgeries we've been doing, so I'm there for everything. I do like having the opportunity to use my rusty old skills.

I feel so much better after having a relaxing evening away from home.

I still have not had my periods return since quitting birth control in April (sorry if too much information!). I suppose I'll have to make an appointment to the doctor for follow-up testing. He did hormone tests, which were normal, so I thought I'd wait for a bit to see if things would normalize on their own. I'm about out of patience for that, and since it's not a new problem, I'd like to find out what's going on.

It's interesting and a little awkward spending a lot of time in the doctor's office. First off, I don't know yet how I feel about having a male PCP, because at some point my annual exam time will come around. Also, he's a doctor I shadowed. I saw that he was a preferred provider on my new insurance and I saw firsthand that he's an excellent doc, so I made an appointment a few months after the shadowing was done, as my current clinic was not covered by my insurance. I feel like my problems are kind of "women's issues" that I should talk to women about. This is likely not a unique feeling; I remember it coming up with other patients when I was shadowing. On the other hand, many women were perfectly comfortable with him. I think some of the uncomfortable nature is because I knew him first as a student. The next bit is that I come from a family that did not go to doctors much, so having ongoing care from one doctor is a new experience for me. I'm sticking it out on principle. He really is a good doctor, so I'm going to deal with it. Besides, I'm sure in one way or another I'll get valuable experience and information from this.

In other news, I wanted to take a dog home this weekend - a friend wants to get rid of her, and I really like her. But my husband says the dog has issues and the couple getting rid of her has issues, and he doesn't want a dog that is already "broken." I guess we don't need a dog right now, but I really love that dog. I've spent time with her before, and wanted to take her home then, too. :(

To everyone who passes this way - I hope you have a fantastic week! :)

More
10 years 3 months ago #70319 by Melbelle
I'm frustrated. I have not submitted my application. I want to stay home for a year with a baby, but I am not pregnant yet, so I need to just submit this week.

Now I feel silly for waiting and hoping.

Next is another decision. Do I go back on some form of birth control? I suppose this will be a discussion to have with the doctor. I imagine he'll say medical school is very difficult and I don't want to risk having a child while I'm in the middle of it. But I'm liking being off the birth control. My temperament has improved, and I'm steadily dropping weight. Oh, I feel good. I do want to have children, and my husband is very supportive of the idea and willing to help out.

Another consideration is all the precautions I take while not on birth control. I guess I'd be healthier if I lived like this. For example, I don't take any medications unless I really need to, just in case. Fortunately my allergies haven't been bad this year, so I've managed to avoid those medications entirely. I don't drink often, but that's not a big change. It's just more conscious now.

Got to go to the doctor. Hate going to the doctor. Now isn't that funny? I've never liked seeing the doctor, yet I want to be one... I was like that as a dental assistant, too. Really enjoyed my job, but I did NOT want to be in the chair.

Well, thanks for listening. It is nice to hash these things out. :)

More
10 years 3 months ago #70320 by futureMrsMD
Hi Melbelle! I just barely started to read your blog... I can understand your frustration with the whole "do I get pregnant now or later?" issue.
I have a 16 month old at home. If it was up to me, and I was very selfish, I'd be done having kids. My son was a HUGE surprise to DH and me. I guess that's what happens when you stop taking BC because your OB told you you could never get pregnant unless you were on Clomid. What a stupid thing to say!!!.. and I didn't know any better. :guilty: Then I thought... "I'll never have more kids until I'm done with med school". Well, turns out I had been talking to some co-workers and they say going from 1 to 2 kids is really easy because they play with one another. I figured it'd be helpful to my son to have a buddy to play with at one point, so DH and I can go to school and study. However, for them to play with one another and not be so bored, we'd have to have them close together... and that's where we are sitting right now. Got my IUD out a couple weeks ago, got AF 2 days later, and I'm supposed to ovulate this week... maybe we'll both get pregnant around the same time! But if I don't get pregnant in the next 3 months, then I'll go back on some sort of BC until next july, then try again.. I don't ever want to have another child in the middle of finals! :banghead:
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Are you sending your application into AMCAS sometime soon? Keep us posted!

The mind is a terrible thing to waste.

More
10 years 3 months ago #70321 by Melbelle
Hi! Boy, that would be a surprise! I do know someone else with one of those surprises, after a doctor told her she couldn't have children!

It makes me feel better that someone understands! I feel like I'm working in a tiny ambiguous window.

Thanks for reading and for the support!

More
10 years 2 months ago #70322 by Melbelle
I've had a very good day. I got my MCAT results back this morning, and I did well. I was very relieved. My boss took me out to lunch to celebrate. Then I stopped for coffee afterward and my favorite coffee shop gave me a cookie, as I was short and couldn't get both the coffee and cookie. Yumm. :yes:

I had a productive day at work, then my husband took me out to dinner. I had a very nice day.

Then (after a glass of wine to make sure my judgment wasn't great), my husband asked if I was going to apply this year or next. He wants a baby. And ( :) ) he says he can help take care of a child. He'll do what he needs to.

So am I excited?

I'm not sure. The baby fever was starting to subside and I was getting excited about being career-driven. I'm just one of those people. I want to be doing everything all the time. If I had 200 years to live I know I could easily fill it.

I think part of the change is probably due to working full-time all summer. I love working. I think I would regret never having kids, but I love working.

Okay, so here's my tentative plan: apply for medical school next week. If I get pregnant, see how that goes. Defer if I have to, or just push on through.

Next decision: MD, MD/PhD, or MD/MPH.

I think MD/MPH would be most in line with what I want to do and where, but I love working in research. So doing research while going to medical school sounds like a win-win deal. So MD/PhD would leave a lot of options open to me (like academic or research), but options aren't everything. MD/MPH would be the best fit to actually practicing medicine.

Okay, MD/MPH.

See, this isn't so hard. :)

Of course, we all know I'll change my mind.

This has been a most productive evening. And my top two schools have MD/MPH and DO/MPH programs. Definitely winning. :D

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!