× Debates, Issues & Talk

Super Size Me

More
15 years 1 week ago #67143 by PremedRN

Originally posted by kthoms0319:
I'm not certain what the difference is between that and Prohibition, which clearly didn't work for this country in a good way.

Yeah, I guess it doesnt matter how good your eating habits are if you are going to get killed by a drunk driver. You still dont see them putting a hault to the sale/consumption of alcohol in these days.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 week ago #67144 by blt
Yes, Gene Queen, that really bothered me as well. Kids want what tastes good, not what is more healthful.

I saw a story the other night about Arkansas. Apparently, the were (are?) determining the BMI of students each year and sending a letter home to the parents telling them if their child is too thin, too heavy, or seems likely to become overweight.

They interviewed the governor who has had a weight problem (now at a healthy weight) and thinks it's a great idea. They also interivewed a 12y.o. girl who is overweight and wrote a letter to her representative angry because she knows she's overweight and is trying to work on it and doesn't want the added humiliation of someone weighing her and sending a letter to her parents telling them that she's overweight.

Critics of this fear that it will lead to eating disorders, etc. One of the points in this story, too, was that the cafeteria didn't really offer any healthy choices at the high school level (in elementary school they're all fed the same meal). The governor said that sudents should make their own decisions and tried to play up the fact that they only eat at the cafeteria 5 days/week. Aren't there about 180 school days/year? The guy in Supersize Me only ate McDonalds for 90 meals before he started suffering some pretty severe health consequences!

As far as corporate vs. personal responsibility, my point refers back to kids knowing how to make responsible choices. One of the big points of the movie was that McDonalds and other things such as sugar cereals advertise to children.

This is a really long post. More later!

More
15 years 2 days ago #67145 by CoolMommy
i did see that movie! And being a busy family of 3 (with a mother that doesn't cook I might add :blush: ) we would eat fast food at least twice a week! After seeing that movie I thought of my gosh I wonder what my blood tests would show! I decided that I would slow down for awhile,I was especially concerned about my 2 year old. And I am telling the truth that I lost 10 pounds in one month, just by cutting out fast food completely!! I didn't exercise any more than usual either so just imagine the results if I did (which I plan on exercising more..eventually)

More
15 years 16 hours ago #67146 by amy-k
kthoms -- the difference is that while you don't have to booze it up, you do have to eat. How and what you eat depends on the food choices that are available and affordable, in terms of both time and money. These are factors that we don't ordinarly control. My choices are limited to what's in the supermarket, what I know of food and nutrition, and the time I have for food prep and eating.

If you've got a population that's clearly shown it's either unwilling or unable to educate itself and pick its way carefully through the jungle of high-fat, high-sugar, low-nutrient food, and then exercise restraint when it comes to portion size, it makes no sense to stand there shaking your finger and insisting they do better. The fact is they're not going to do it on their own. Since obesity is now a serious public health problem, it's time for the government to step in (check your Constitution; public health is one of those places where the gubmint gets to interfere) and regulate the food industries and customer choices.

That may come in the form of a "sin tax" and subsidies, making cupcakes expensive and bananas cheap. It may come in the form of restaurant and packaged-food portion-size regulation. Maybe it'd mean restaurants would be required to post standard nutrition information next to the menu copy for each item. Whatever form it takes, at this point I'm all for it. On this count we apparently need a nanny.

amy

More
15 years 16 hours ago #67147 by rydys
I definitely think that part of the issue is cost. Just look in the grocery store--veges are relatively expensive considering how many it takes to make you as full as a $1.99 burger. An apple costs more than a bag of chips or a candy bar. I'm always hearing about the surplus of veges in this country, maybe if the government would subsidize them even more, maybe even with a tax on junk food, people would buy the veges more.

More
15 years 1 hour ago #67148 by PremedRN
rdys,

You know, I was just thinking the same thing. All the leaner meats, organic veggies or not, are soo expensive compared to items less nutritious. This puts people at disadvantge who have low incomes. I have heard that people with lower soicoeconomic statues have an increased mortality rate and they think this could be due to lack of access to adequate healthcare--- and how about the lack of access in some cases to nutritious foods? Everyone complains about how many people are on medicaid, but at the same time these people may not be able to eat as healthy as others--bad food=bad health=increased costs of healthcare.

Moderators: TexasRoseMTaylorefex101
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!