× Debates, Issues & Talk

Gay marriage legal?

More
15 years 8 months ago #67455 by mommd2b
whew...I can't even read this thread anymore. I am now reminded of why I can't stand hanging out with my some of my husband's physician friends...the arrogance!

"I am physician, I know all"

Atilla, give it a rest.

kris

ps...not all docs fall into this category.

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 months ago #67456 by attila
Dr Wu, we physicians are scientists, and scientists search for truth. I saw Passion yesterday, and found myself meditating on the character of Pontius Pilate, as I stated in my post on the thread on the Passion in this forum, today. I therefore found myself substituting the word Truth for Science in your article. Doing that (my substitutions capitalized to distinguish them from your actual text), your post reads thusly:

""Though this is an online community of women in medicine, our forums are not exclusively about medical or scientific issues. the debate forum is largely dominated by discussions of people's opinions, not WHAT IS ACTUALLY TRUE. As you have pointed out attila, there is some TRUTH that an@l sex increases a person's cancer risk. i am glad you pointed that out, but that doesn't end the discussion for me. i am a TRUTHFUL person, but i don't base my every opinion or decision on WHAT IS TRUE. i am not, as you have suggested, only relying on my emotions either. i'm relying on logic, observation of the world around me, history, and my own morality... and probably *some* emotion and *some* TRUTH as well. if we limited our dicussions in this forum to THAT WHICH IS TRUE, they would be a lot less interesting. you are welcome to support your opinions of social policies with THE TRUTH, but please don't belittle the opinions of other just because they are not grounded in TRUTH."

Was that what you intended to say?

Attila

More
15 years 8 months ago #67457 by DrWuStar*
no atilla, that was not what i intended to say. i wrote a longer answer, but have decided not to fuel this argument any longer. you are clearly not open to other people opinions, and that's fine with me.

my point was that you need to stop belittling everyone else on these forum boards. thanks.

More
15 years 8 months ago #67458 by amyk
attila, I'd think you'd know better than to equate science with truth. The whole basis of science is that today's truth is provisional, and may be overturned by better science.

amy

More
15 years 8 months ago #67459 by attila
Amy said <<attila, I'd think you'd know better than to equate science with truth. The whole basis of science is that today's truth is provisional, and may be overturned by better science.>>

No. That is the position of relativism. The basis of science is that absolute truth exists, but that our approaches to truth are all provisional. (Kind of like the Uncertainty Principle.) This is why, although scientists can debate whether making a patient with SVT blow through an occuluded straw is superior to treatment with IV adenosine, a reasonable scientist cannot suggest treating a child in SVT with cupping. NY's decision that perinatologists (physicians specializing in the care of unborn children) would be better physicians for being required to learn how to kill unborn children during their training, is not one based in science. (Where's the research suggesting that this would be the case? No research with physicians? Hmm.. Do other experienced killers - serial killers, for example - appear to be better caregivers than people lacking this training? No? Hmmm.)

More
15 years 8 months ago #67460 by doc dredloc 2b
My PERSONAL stance on gay marriage is, I don't care. Let them get married and have millions of children! If these two people want to be married, then I have no say so in it whatsoever (and yes, I am a Christian).

I am not a doctor attila, just a person who happens to have a little thing inside of a skull called a brain (that's as far as my medical knowledge goes :blush: )

On another note, I don't think that your responses have adequately answered the question at hand, scientifically, medically, religiously, and all of that other stuff.

First of all, as a person with a working brain, I don't believe anything that is quoted in book, magazine, media or anything else wholeheartedly. Especially when it is regarding a topic that is so heated, such as allowing gay marriages. Why? Because in my opinion the information is already biased. That's just like those scientists who said they had "scientific" proof that Blacks were physically and mentally inferior to Whites. Is any of that true? I don't think so.

I think with anything that people oppose, they find ways to prove it's wrong by inserting religion and science, whether it's rooted in fact or not.
I can truly appreciate your views and I admire your devotion to your religion. However, I do not feel that any of the personal attacks that you have made on any of the fellow mommd members are necessary. We are all women striving to reach the same goals and to put anyone down shows a lack of maturity and an inability to effectively debate on a topic.

If it sounds like an insult, it is not my intention.

Moderators: TexasRoseMTaylorefex101
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!