× Debates, Issues & Talk

Article on Work versus Family Choice

More
More
12 years 1 month ago #67767 by Mitch
Hey, Conflicted, what are you doing reading my local paper, the Vancouver Sun???? LOL! ;)
I don't think this is anything most families don't already know, but it's nice to have some real statistics behind it. Now, what will be done with this information?? :crossfingers:

Live, Love, Laugh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #67768 by residentmom
Nothing like a government-funded study to point out the obvious. :rolleyes:

I think it makes one good point in that people make all these sacrifices to get ahead when they are young, and then find themselves in "their late 40s and there is nothing they can do".

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
12 years 1 month ago #67769 by Drey
I find it slightly amusing, and slightly sad that people express dismay at those of us having children "so young" when we are "unprepared" and "not mature enough" and "haven't had enough time to really get to know yourself or your spouse" (at 25? let me introduce you to some 15 year olds I know...). These are the same women that are shocked when they can't get pregnant at age 38 when they finally feel financially and mentally able.

I do agree that so-called "family friendly" policies are often a good way to shoot oneself in the foot career wise. People who opt for flex time or actually take extended unpaid leave are seen as less dedicated and less professional, regardless of how unfair such perceptions are. That needs to change. A part-time or flex-time professional should not be considered less competent for not signing on to the usual order of the rat race.

Moderators: TexasRoseMTaylorefex101
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!