× Debates, Issues & Talk

should there be a max voting age?

More
11 years 6 months ago #68236 by MTaylor
I was talking to someone the other day, and he said that "old people have ruined this country."

He went on to say that:
"just like there's a minimum age to vote, there should be a maximum."

His argument was that people over...let's say 85, really aren't voting for what's best for the future of our Country. Nor will they be around to live with the repercussions of such voting. As people age, their judgment deteriorates...and can their vote really be counted (such as those under 18). AND, as times change, people don't (as much). He thinks 'old folks' are a hindrance to progressive/forward movement of the human race...and like with other animals (and humans of civilizations past) should simply leave the tribe to go die quietly, and not burden us with their high end-of-life healthcare costs, and dealing with sorting thru their dementia as they continue to vote into place outdated concepts.

(Keep in mind, I'm in California where the whole gay-marriage thing is in the forefront of politics right now...and young people seem to feel that 'eventually same-sex marriages will exist' because *really* most people don't care one way or another....

...but that's a topic for another thread).

So...what do you guys think? Is he right, should great-grandma be banned from the polls?!

<a href=" www.coilyembrace.com " rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> www.coilyembrace.com </a>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #68237 by LauraMD
Max voting age.. naahh! Elderly people have the wisdom of their years, which rounds out the naivety and "progressiveness" of us young'uns. ;)

But maybe an IQ test.. now there's a thought!! Hmmmm... :p

And when they carve my stone, all they need to write on it is, "Once lived a man who got all he ever wanted..." --Ty Herndon

More
11 years 6 months ago #68238 by sahmd
There are a lot of people out there voting who do not have such great judgment. I looked into this when my dad was diagnosed with dementia, and it seems that they will let pretty much anyone vote. I suppose that is one of the weaknesses of our democratic system of government.

More
11 years 6 months ago #68239 by Baby Einstein

Originally posted by LauraMD:
But maybe an IQ test.. now there's a thought!! Hmmmm... :p

Shouldn't we start with an IQ test for presidential candidates to take? Could have saved us a lot of trouble. :rotfl:

More
11 years 6 months ago #68240 by star
Maximum age to vote?!? Absolutely not! My husband's 92-year-old grandfather still has all his faculties. He works out at a gym 3x a week, this summer he is flying out of state to visit family, he is an avid gardener, still drives, and reads the newspaper every day! He probably knows more about current affairs than most people my age!

Star

Moderators: TexasRoseMTaylorefex101
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!