× Debates, Issues & Talk

Malpractice insurance and medicine

More
15 years 11 months ago #68390 by residentmom
I recently read a story where a woman filed a frivolous lawsuit, lost, and then couldn't believe it when her doctor refused to see her anymore. She was like, "but he was so nice, how will I find another doctor I like?". :rolleyes: It's as if some people are so self-centered that they can not understand the consequences of their own actions. :boggled:

I am going into family med, and I love to do OB, but almost no family docs do it anymore, because it costs so much you can't afford the insurance because you don't do as many deliveries as a full-time OB/Gyn does. Maybe in a rural area I still could, but with a surgeon-to-be husband, that is not really an option.

Lots of docs talk about refusing to treat lawyers until they turn their act around, but I don't think that is really a reasonable solution. I also think part of the problem is that regular people don't have a good grasp on what is really going on. Like my mom, who is well educated, keeps up with the news, etc: the other day I was telling her about the problems with malpractice reform, and she did not realize that lawyers are the ones fighting it tooth and nail. She also did not know that they get nearly half of all the settlements.

I don't know what the solution is, but I hope someone thinks of something soon! :ouch:

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #68391 by psych
There was a recent article in the Baltimore Sun about a local doc who sent a letter asking his patients to contribut $10 each to cover his higher malpractice bill and allow him to stay in practice. It worked!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: TexasRoseMTaylorefex101
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!