× Debates, Issues & Talk

JAMA Commentary on Child Obesity and CPS

More
8 years 1 month ago #80991 by Flavowitz
I wrote a super long comment and then my phone died :( the gist:

Parents responsibility. For obese parents why would you subject your child to the mistakes you made. I'm obese but still manage to feed my child well and taught my former stepchild and former foster child good eating habits that stabilized their weight to a healthy level.

It's not hard to steer your kids in the direction you should have gone in in the first place. And junk can be moderated to the way it was intended...once every blue moon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #81027 by mommd2b
Just got back from a week long swimming vacation with the kiddos. I saw as many thin children from obese parents as I saw fat children from thin parents...go figure.

But since we're on this topic.....if we contact CPS in regards to children's obesity, can we pretty please have parents reported for smoking cigarettes (around their children is the risk of second hand smoke .... but even when the kids aren't there, it sets a bad example that can lead to smoking down the line) as well as parents who drink at the pool/on the beach and talk loudly on their cell phones while supposedly supervising their children at the pool or suffer from drug/alcohol addiction (even if it doesn't negatively affect their parenting, it is one of the greatest factors in the alcohol/drug dependence of children later)?

Being sarcastic ... sort of ... Where do we draw the line?

Kris

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

More
8 years 1 month ago #81047 by Docmomof4
Wow-great thread. I have struggled with weight my entire life-overweight, not obese. My children are all healthy thus far, but we struggle with the playing outside and shuttling to activites thing. I have all of my girls in sports which I think is good for their health as well as their self esteem. We practice portion control, dessert can be 2 cookies or jello or fruit, depending on the night. I don't want to 'outlaw' certain foods, this way they won't rebel and eat a ton of them when they are older. My first two children at age three were 'obese' on the growth charts, but started huge due to good breastmilk LOL! The baby is on her way to being a chunky monkey as well. By age 4-5 they were all in the normal weight range due to diet and activity, I think. I don't put too much stock in the BMI charts anyway-my brother is a bodybuilder with like 10 % body fat and is obese according to those charts...but then again, I want my kids to be healthy so I used them as a guideline.

I still struggle with my weight, but I try to set a positive example by exercising and running. They all see me running on the treadmill 'so mommy can be healthy'-I try not to make it about losing weight b/c of the whole anorexia fear thing....

CPS removal-maybe in the most extreme cases...but I agree about the drug use and smoking-where do we draw the line...

More
8 years 1 month ago #81048 by Docmomof4
@ Path-interesting what you said about women of color and weight not affecting their self esteem....why do you think that is? The same is true for Puerto Rican women for the most part-i think b/c having a booty is a good thing culturally. I never felt more sexy than when I lived in PR for a summer.....my curves were appreciated!!

More
8 years 1 month ago #81053 by Doc201X

Docmomof3 wrote: @ Path-interesting what you said about women of color and weight not affecting their self esteem....why do you think that is? The same is true for Puerto Rican women for the most part-i think b/c having a booty is a good thing culturally. I never felt more sexy than when I lived in PR for a summer.....my curves were appreciated!!

It's definitely cultural, although I must concede that some women of color have taken this "I'm sexy no matter how big I am" thing way too far, LOL!!!

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
8 years 1 month ago #81057 by Melbelle

Docmomof3 wrote: I still struggle with my weight, but I try to set a positive example by exercising and running. They all see me running on the treadmill 'so mommy can be healthy'-I try not to make it about losing weight b/c of the whole anorexia fear thing....

That is a great approach! Anorexia is terrifying. I had a friend who struggled with that as a teenager - 15 years later she still doesn't have a good relationship with food or accepting her body. I remember her saying a few years ago when her kids were smaller, "I eat, and I have to eat for their sake, but I don't think I'll ever like it." Now that our culture is so obsessed with obesity, which is a genuine concern, I worry about how kids will have healthy perspectives on food and fitness. I like the way you're doing it. :)

Moderators: TexasRoseMTaylorefex101
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!