× Debates, Issues & Talk

Malpractice

More
8 years 1 month ago #81318 by southernmd
I'm not sure how his was set up, but he said it was awful. He also (coincidentally) had his office manager embezzle from him right after his case settled with the medical board, so poor guy hasn't had a break yet. It's really not fair...he's such a great OB/GYN. I would have gone to him in a heartbeat had he been in my city.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #81319 by mommd2b
What is interesting about this article is the number of cases that ultimately are dismissed or are won by the physician. This is just such a drag on our system. I do know of a few cases where gross negligence resulted in serious damage to the patient. There should be a way for those people to be compensated. At the same time, we also know of an individual who was named in a lawsuit simply because he saw the patient at one time prior to her diagnosis. He did all appropriate testing and nothing showed up. He told her to return if her symptoms didn't subside. She went to the ER two months later and her CT at that time showed the problem (the earlier one had not). He was named in the suit and the hospital he works for decided to settle on his behalf. He was livid.

We really are a litigious society!

Kris

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #81326 by megboo

clee03m wrote: My insurance company will not settle unless I give them permission. I think this is really important. Some insurance companies will settle even if the physician is not at fault. They just look at the bottom line and if the cost of litigation would be greater than the cost of settlement, they just settle. My insurance company is called Physicians Insurance, and I am really impressed with them.

I am so disappointed with democrats for not pursuing tort reform. How can we have true healthcare reform without it? I guess they are not going to bite the hand that feeds them. I am a liberal so I have higher expectations of other liberals, and time and time again, democrats disappoint me...

Honestly, clee, I don't think this is going to happen with established politicians from either side of the aisle, no matter how much they tout "reform" or pretend to have altruistic intentions, e.g. Obamacare.

I have noticed the Washington crowd are politicians first (regardless of letter behind the name), and a majority are also lawyers. Self-preservation seems to outweigh any real change for the better, including the health care "reform" legislation that's been pushed through recently. It's been nothing but a cluster you-know-what. I also get that vibe from organizations like the AMA - more about self-preservation and recognition than dealing with deep-in-the-trenches issues. Many docs I know have jumped ship from AMA membership with this in mind.

Personally, I am a serious fiscal conservative, but I have never been able to bring myself to register for any particular party for the amount of disgust I've felt. These days, I feel I identify most with Libertarian ideals that satisfy my fiscal conservatism and more moderate views on social issues. Sorry, my point is that I come from an opposite spectrum, and still feel the same as you wrt those I try to identify with. It's so frustrating.

"Some of it's magic and some of it's tragic but I had a good life all the way."<br />- He Went to Paris by Jimmy Buffett
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

More
8 years 4 weeks ago #81384 by AmmaMD
I am torn about how much to let my growing understanding of the legal issues of my profession (psychiatry) affect how I practice. I think it is harder to have "bedside manner" / good communication with families as a protection here, because plenty of the time you're not even allowed to speak with family... or you're sued by someone who was harmed by your patient (even years after they ended care with you, sometimes). But... protecting yourself by documenting at every single visit of every single patient "no homicidal ideation" really grates on your pleasant 55yo patient with depression that's never hurt a fly and wants to know why you keep asking that. Or even your 45yo M with a h/o assault changes prior to CD treatment and joining AA... who's certainly at risk for relapsing and doing something terrible, but it's not going to be prevented by your asking him every time he shows up sober if he's thinking of killing anyone.

I hate this issue all around. I wish we had a two tiered system: one side where there was a pot of money set aside for tragic bad outcomes that couldn't be forseen (that terrible birth injury that no OB could have known to jump to c-section to avoid, but which the family will struggle to deal with for decades) - and a second arm, with no money involved for patients/families, for evaluating whether physicians did something wrong and need to be remediated / punished / held accountable in some way. Perhaps you can even have fines - paid into that general trust. I don't know. But at least remove the "prove your doctor did something wrong to get some $$" set up.

Moderators: TexasRoseMTaylorefex101
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!