× Debates, Issues & Talk

More "Have it all" Drama from the Atlantic

More
7 years 2 months ago #85862 by SW to MD
I take issue with this article implying the gap in pay is all about how many hours/week you work:

well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/28/among-...women-are-paid-less/

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy - MLKJ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #85863 by AnnaM
It's funny, because when confronted with the fact that there is a gender pay gap on the White House staff, the administration's response was the same as everyone else's response, that it's because the women work fewer hours, etc.

More
7 years 2 months ago #85873 by clee03m
What disturbs to me is that when I decided against academic medicine, I felt no guilt at all because I did not choose that based on child rearing. So what kind of perversion makes me feel guilty because I am choosing to spend time with my family? Am I so different from some of my male colleagues if I also believe that all reasons are legitimate unless it has to do with pregnancy, labor, and child rearing? Thank you for the article and the discussion. I have decided that I will no longer allow myself to feel guilty. Many of you are right. I can have it all including the power to define what that means.

More
7 years 2 months ago #85884 by multitasker
Great book that addresses some of these issues: The new feminist agenda by Madeline Kunin.

I like Slaugter's article. Its about time women in leadership positions put the truth of their experience out there rather than pretend that their double-time work juggle is sane or easy or some verson of having it all.

I need to decide RIGHT NOW to 1) finish my charts from 4 days ago 2) feed my children dinner 3) get 15 minutes of much needed exercise

More
7 years 2 months ago #85908 by asunshine

multitasker wrote: I need to decide RIGHT NOW to 1) finish my charts from 4 days ago 2) feed my children dinner 3) get 15 minutes of much needed exercise

They don't call you multitasker for nothin'! ;)

And now I'm off to finish charts after putting kiddos to bed...

Moderators: TexasRoseMTaylorefex101
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!