× Debates, Issues & Talk

Do PhDs really 'hate' pre-meds.....

More
15 years 3 months ago #63509 by mommd2b
I was reading through a 'how to get into med school' book written by an MD. He devoted a section to how pre-meds are hated by their professors because the professors feel offended that (in his view) pre-meds only want to learn a little about their field and also fight for every point on exams/assignments.

I was flabbergasted by this. I teach at a University that has its share of pre-meds and this is my view: I don't have a disdain for any one particular group. I know that the interior design majors that somehow ended up in my class aren't there to delve deeply into the material and I'm not offended by that anymore than I am that a pre-med might not want to 'know everything'. The only time I have a problem with pre-meds is when they expect me to make grade exceptions. For example, I had a pre-med who was an A student on all exams but didn't even go to the trouble to spell check his typed lab reports. He felt that because he was so smart he deserved an A anyway... I would have been upset with him if he had been a bio major too. Some pre-meds come in with a chip on their shoulder "I am smarter than you and am going to med school" but most don't. I don't distinguish between the majors in my classroom...I just look at people's attitudes and most of the professors I work with do the same. If a student comes in with an air of superiority then they are likely to get some of my attitude back :D

Me, attitude? :D

kris

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #63510 by PremedRN
You are hilarious Kris! I tell ya what is funny, in my intro to gen chem course, I was arguing over a missed point, and the professor said, "You are a point grubber, you are premed, arent you?"

I had to laugh! This professor is so cool in an odd kind of way (he's a chemist, so what do ya expect?)--no offense, he told me that physicists are here to make chemist seem normal. Haaaa. But anyway, I just had to comment on this, because apparently premeds due tend to be "point grubbers". :D

More
15 years 3 months ago #63511 by Celia
When I was an undergraduate student and planning on taking the PhD route, I hated my premed classmates because they were "point grubbers" and I felt that they would step on anybody if it would help them get the "A." Alot of them focused alot more on the grade than learning the material. After about 2 years into a PhD program in Molecular Microbiology, the grass looked alot greener on the MD side of the fence and I switched programs. I am now an MD and can tell you 100% without a doubt that becoming a physician is ALOT easier than earning a PhD in the biomedical sciences (residency aside). Although I am still proud to say that I was never "premed" (because I associate the term with intellectual and scientific apathy), I've got to hand it to the "point grubbers" that they figured out an easier path to making a living sooner than I did. The premeds of yesterday are now my colleagues today and I wonder if, perhaps, in the big picture they were smarter afterall.

More
15 years 3 months ago #63512 by JDmom
I was very interested and startled to see what Celia had to say. I've been trying to decide whether to shoot for medical school or a PhD program in neurobiology, which is my real passion. I had thought that a PhD program might be easier on my family and was very interested in Celia's comment that medical school (residency notwithstanding) is much easier. Could Celia or anyone else elaborate on this?

More
15 years 3 months ago #63513 by blt
I work in clinical research for a PhD (and some MDs too), and, yes, the PhD definitely hates the premed students.

More
15 years 3 months ago #63514 by GeneGoddess
I'm in my last year of an MD/PhD program, and I can tell you that the PhD part was MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more difficult and demanding than the MD part ever was. Hard to explain why... MD is memorize and regurg, while PhD is THINK.

Moderators: TexasRoseMTaylorefex101
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!