× Debates, Issues & Talk

What are the real differences between completing a residency at 32 and 42?

More
13 years 10 months ago #64026 by residentmom
I think we are all going to be fine. ;)

I don't think you necessarily have to be older to be "mature". I am a 27 yo married for almost 6 years, mother of now 3, and I already know about life outside the hospital, chose a field not for money reaons, and I just frankly have my act together. There are several 30-somethings in my residency that can't keep it together like I can. I will finish residency at just-29, and I feel like I have gotten a jump on things by being younger. It might be an advantage when job-searching, although I think if someone won't hire you at 42, then the he** with them. I know all you 'second-career' ladies are going to do great no matter when you finish-- obviously you wanted it badly enough to quit what you did before, and I think that says something. :)

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #64027 by medstudent31
I agree, ResidentMom, I have known many "older" people who are just "big kids," not any more mature!! Some people find their maturity early on...some, not at all!

For God did not give us a spirit of fear - but of power, and of love, and a sound mind.

More
13 years 10 months ago #64028 by Doc201X
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by plumpchkn:
<strong> My mind just can't handle the long nights and lack of sleep like I used to. I'm also starting internship in July :yes:

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
13 years 10 months ago #64030 by Doc201X

Originally posted by plumpchkn:
Path, you'll be a wonderful physician and the medical world will be blessed to have you :)

Ahh, thanks so much for that! Between my Mommd "family" and my "real" family I'm soo lucky! It's so amazing that people seem to say the nicest things right when life is temorarily turned upside down! :cloud9:

Group hug, ladies!!! :grouphug:

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
13 years 10 months ago #64031 by sargasso

Originally posted by plumpchkn:

And yes Path, I absolutely agree that anyone who wants this should go for it :yes: No one should deny their dreams because of their age - no one.

I definitely agree that age shouldnt' be a deterrent. still, i am a fan of hearing the pros and the cons and while I know that i can do anything i put my mind to ( and most of us here can), it think that sometimes hereaing many perspectives may bring to light things i hand't thought of before. of course if you had told me before i started med school that i would feel old and feel left out from my peers because i am at a different stage in my career from them- it wouldn't have deterred me! Nor should it. it is just great to hear that yes while it is possible and age should not be a detrrent, ther eare some factors that might make going to school older, different. for better or worse! :)

More
13 years 10 months ago #64032 by efex101
We do need to be realistic and realize that regardless of "how" we feel and how fit we are well...there is such a thing as the aging process and our bodies *are* aging. Although we can and should pursue our dreams we do need to be realistic that the toll on our bodies is not diminishing but actually to some extent increasing. I do not think that any of us are saying that the process is NOT hard for those that are a decade or more younger but just that "they" might bounce back quicker than those of us hitting 40/50...

Moderators: TexasRoseMTaylorefex101
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!