× Debates, Issues & Talk

What are the real differences between completing a residency at 32 and 42?

More
13 years 10 months ago #64033 by sargasso
I was thinking on this topic and wondering why i feel at odds with myself for doing this at this age. i feel as if a piece of me has been removed and fragmented and yet- i love medicine and honestly don't regret doing this for i know if i hadn't, i would have regretted it then. However, i feel as if some part of me has been lost and while I am very sure this is a personal thing and not a general "nontradtional student" issue, i do wonder if it does have to do with my age, my family situation and my pereception of what i woudl have been doing at this time. I think that med school sucks alot out of alot of people but maybe if i was younger, a) i would have more time to heal and bounce back? b) this wouldn't have an effect on others close to me like my family?
anyway i'm sure that i'll heal and patch over that place in my soul that has been "lost" and i will become sane again. :) Maybe this is just an extra painful growth process for me. :boggled: :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #64034 by DO?
Well put, what is it about medicine that drives you? To make it worth the toil?

More
13 years 10 months ago #64035 by Tamar
I know my brain works better now than it did when I was 20. I remember feeling so confident and sure of what I was going to do with myself...looking back, I really was so young, immature and silly at times. But then again, it is supposed to be that way, right?

More
13 years 10 months ago #64037 by sargasso

Originally posted by DO?:
Well put, what is it about medicine that drives you? To make it worth the toil?

I LOOOVE medicine- the constant learning about things that i enjoy learning about, learning as much as i can about the human body and what ails us and the fact that we have a lot to learn still. i think that it is fascinating but still it has taken a toll on me.
beside unless i was totally unhappy, i am going to see this through. i workded too hard to get here and am just gald that i can find sometimes that fits with what i want in other aspects of my life. if i coudlnt' do that i actually might consider medicine form a different aspect such as biomedical research or something.

More
13 years 10 months ago #64038 by sargasso

Originally posted by plumpchkn:

What year are you? I had these EXACT same experiences starting in second year. They continued into 3rd year and didn't really phase out until I relented to be the arse kissing medical student that they expected me to be. I know that sounds HORRIBLE ladies - but the truth is, you really are entering a different world. Its a world of hierarchy, power trips, and God complexes. I spent an awful lot of time trying to deny this and I fought a huge internal war.

I just wanted you to know you're not alone, and I think a lot of my classmates went through this as well... both young, old (and yes ladies, I had classmates that were in their 40's!) all of us went through some form of transition that was quite painful.

Plump :hyper:

I am in my 3rd year. i pretty much know that i am going to suck it up but i can't deny that it has changed me somehow. hopefully for the better. thanks for the support!

Moderators: TexasRoseMTaylorefex101
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!