× Debates, Issues & Talk

Does your office take medicare/medicaid?

More
14 years 10 months ago #64069 by Drey
I've heard that people with medicare/medicaid still have trouble with access to health care even though they have insurance because no one wants to take medicare.

For the Dr's: Does your office take medicare? Why or why not? What made you change your mind if you accepted medicare/medicaid before?

For everyone: Have you thought at all about whether you would accept medicare? What problems do you see with medicare and how could we fix them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #64070 by rydys
I don't know about medicare, but I do take medicaid. Right now I take anything bec. I'm new, but eventually I will cut back to the better paying insurances. The problem is that medicaid reimbursement is so low! For one patient I saw I got 26 dollars. Right now, that's $26 that I didn't have. Imagine, however, if I had a busy practice and not enough time slots and I could fill that space with someone whose insurance will pay $55 for the same service. It is nice to think altruistically that I should take everyone, but realistically I have bills to pay and a limited amount of time.

Most of the people in my area are on medicaid HMOs, so I don't have the option of cutting out medicaid altogether, but I will have to cut out the lower paying ones eventually.

More
14 years 10 months ago #64071 by Someday
My DH takes all insurance including patients who can't pay. But then, he doesn't have a choice either, but that wouldn't make a difference.

Here's an example of the ridiculously low reimbursements for medicaid:
private insurance epidural: $300
medicaid epidural: $20. Yup, $20.

More
14 years 10 months ago #64072 by maggie52
I always work in rural areas- some are RURAL HEALTH CLINICS (ie federally designated) some are not...but they all take both MEDICARE and MEDICAID...we would have to given our population.
That being said LONG hours of talk and thought go into HOW CAN WE MAKE MORE PROFIT bc those two entities are KILLING us-
so we dream up higher paying procedures, docs don't get raises, we don't get new equipment, etc etc.

More
14 years 10 months ago #64073 by psych
I take Medicare but not Medicaid. The reason for taking Medicare as a psychiatrist is it's a relatively small proportion of my practice, some interesting patients with severe mental illnesses, and they pay on time even if they don't pay that well. Medicaid in my state is extremely low-paying and high maintenance managed care. Medicare is not managed for psychiatry which means less paperwork than my patients with insurance. They pay just over half of my billable fee ...

More
14 years 10 months ago #64074 by fearlessphoenix
Our practice takes Medicare but not Medicaid

Moderators: TexasRoseMTaylorefex101
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!