× Debates, Issues & Talk

Eating disorders

More
15 years 4 months ago #65524 by MomMD
While reading the OCD article, I read about eating disorders.

I'd like to start a thread for anyone who has overcome, is still suffering with some kind of eating disorder.

You're not alone,
Sethina

President, MomMD<br />Connecting Women in Medicine - Welcome all physicians, resident physicians, medical students and premedical students!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #65525 by rhlmdmph2b
Sethina, I've never had an eating disorder...in fact, I eat too much!! However, a couple of months ago, I went to a friends little sister's funeral. The girl was sooooo thin already, but I guess she couldn't see that she was beautiful to everyone else!! She went into the bathroom, got into the shower, shot herself in the temple with a low caliber hand gun. Her parents realized that she was taking a long time and went in to find her dead! It's amazing that this disorder can affect someone soo much. It's very serious!!! :(

More
15 years 4 months ago #65526 by PremedRN
I was never officially diagnosed, but when I was a teenager I was bullemic. It started when I was about 15, I would eat and make myself throw up. I would try not eating but I would get soo overwhelmingly hungry....then after I ate to fill my satiety...you know what I did. I was a gymnast, and I was solid, because of my increased muscle mass I went up 2 pant size. I couldnt deal with that. I just couldnt, there were days I was trying to not eat and have a gymnastics meet after school, I would be all gittery from not eating and would hope like hell I didnt pass out while doing the exhausting floor routine. I overcame this by myself, people would talk about how solid I was, how they wished they were in such great shape...I ended up accepting that and moving on. Thank God!!

More
15 years 4 months ago #65527 by EKM
I think my problem is I tend to eat when I am stressed or upset. This results in a lot of weight gain.
I think I like food too much to avoid it. Somedays I find myself living on diet coke when I am too busy to eat. :hyper:

More
15 years 4 months ago #65528 by chylothorax
There were a couple of years when I was in college that I was very conscious of what I was eating and fretted a fair amount about the possibility that I might gain weight. That basically resolved on its own, but I've always been thin to extremely thin anyway.

My question is: how do you approach an acquaintance whom you suspect has an eating disorder? I wouldn't have a problem asking a patient about it, or a good friend/relative, but what about these people who "everyone knows" is anorexic, but nobody says anything directly? I've known a few of these people and haven't said anything to them, partially because I know it's infuriating when it's implied that you have an eating disorder when you don't, but largely just because I don't know how to broach the topic. I mean, I've been known to tell people in the grocery store line to go get that mole looked at or whatever, and I feel that if I as a doctor notice something about a person which could indicate a life-threatening process, I ought to point it out.

Moderators: TexasRoseMTaylorefex101
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!