× Debates, Issues & Talk

The doctor nurse relationships and perceptions

More
14 years 8 months ago #65902 by lauriesalRNC
Yes I do have my kids in preschool so *I* can sleep AFTER I have worked an dbeen up for 24 hrs straight.I dont get any sleep before I go into work though. But a lot of people cant afford daycare costs even if they are working.Despite what people think nurses do not make that much money. I paid over $800 a month to have my kids in preschool PART TIME. A lot of people cant afford that. I am lucky my husband makes more money than i do, but a lot of nurses arent in that boat.

It sucks for ANYONE having to stay up all night, and we all knew what we were getting into when we went into this profession.

Originally posted by PremedRN:
I do see your point about nurses with little ones. But usually daycare is an option to get sleep. Losing sleep verses finding a sitter to get some sleep is often times a personal choice. No choices for interns/residents--and to many of them, 3 12 hours and 4 days off sounds awfully sweet. My friend does nights, her husband drops them off at daycare in the morning, she sleeps then picks them up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #65903 by PremedRN
No doubt that it does suck for everyone who has to stay up for hours but just because a person chooses this profession or that doesn't take a way a person's right to complain/vent. I would never think to say "suck it up" to an intern, doctor or fellow nurse no matter the differences in pay-that's irrelevant.

Again, I do see your point. I still dont think one can compare a nurse not getting sleep working 3 12's, 4 days off and an intern working most days of the week and taking call q 2 or 3 days staying up all night for the most part, and regular hours being 12 hours + in between call plus having kids at home. Now, this doesnt means nurses dont have the right to complain about how much sleep they lack due to childcare issues. Dont we all need a little empathy?

In all honesty, I havent met a nurse yet that could not afford daycare. But I bet there are some who are in certain situations who for some reason cannot.

Yeah, nurses dont make as much as FPs (at least where I am at) but the pay isnt shabby comparable to other fields. Per diem makes 55-60K full-time, where regulars probably would make 38-43K--that is assuming no weekend packages.

More
14 years 8 months ago #65904 by lauriesalRNC
ALOT of nurses cant afford daycare. LIke I said, I paid over $800 a month for PART TIME childcare. I am per diem on labor and delivery and I work about 32 hrs a week and last year I made under $50k. I dont think that is much money considering what we do. We have a lot of respnsibility not to mention liability and we make about as much as the men you see collecting your trash on trash day. Yes, trash men make about as much as a nurse, at least where I live they do.

Having to stay up all night sucks for everyone. Yes for doctors too. You are a different breed in that you understand how much it sucks... but a lot of docs just flat out dotn care that we have been awake for 24+ hrs. And yes we have off 4 days a week BUT those days are spent either A- sleeping b/c we were up for 24+ hrs prior to that or B- staying up ANOTHER 12 + hrs until our spouses get home to take over the kids so you can FINALLY go to bed. It's not as great as it seems!

All of this being said... I still wouldnt be anything else in the world if I could choose another profession :0)

Originally posted by PremedRN:
No doubt that it does suck for everyone who has to stay up for hours but just because a person chooses this profession or that doesn't take a way a person's right to complain/vent. I would never think to say "suck it up" to an intern, doctor or fellow nurse no matter the differences in pay-that's irrelevant.

Again, I do see your point. I still dont think one can compare a nurse not getting sleep working 3 12's, 4 days off and an intern working most days of the week and taking call q 2 or 3 days staying up all night for the most part, and regular hours being 12 hours + in between call plus having kids at home. Now, this doesnt means nurses dont have the right to complain about how much sleep they lack due to childcare issues. Dont we all need a little empathy?

In all honesty, I havent met a nurse yet that could not afford daycare. But I bet there are some who are in certain situations who for some reason cannot.

Yeah, nurses dont make as much as FPs (at least where I am at) but the pay isnt shabby comparable to other fields. Per diem makes 55-60K full-time, where regulars probably would make 38-43K--that is assuming no weekend packages.

More
14 years 6 months ago #65905 by Brittani
As an RN, I have to chime in here...

Doesn't doctor's and nurses have different philosophies, different goals? Nurses don't want to become doctors just because they don't want to go through so much school and spend so much time working. MDs and RNs are working for the same patient, they are just doing it in different ways. As an RN, previously, I didn't used to care about WHAT was making them sick, the scientific WHAT. The MD decided that, with my input, whatever he wanted to make of it. Then he decided how to treat the patient. I am thinking, other than the disease pathology, what made this patient sick? How is this illness affecting this patient's life, and the life of their family? How are they coping? What do they know about their illness? Do they know why they are taking these meds? Can they care for themself? To whom or what do they rely on for support?I had a patient who was in for a CABG. She was elderly, and her husband was in middle-stage Alzheimer's. They both lived home together alone, an hour away from the hospital. Her husband left home almost every day to go to the hospital to visit her, but almost every day never made it there because he got lost along the way and had to call one of their children to come and get him. One day he was lost for four hours before he called someone. He was also a diabetic. Who found this out? Not the MD. Not the Social Worker. The RN. Her family situation was causing her so much stress that that was all she worried about. She didn't absorb any of the information the docs were giving her because she was so preoccupied.

And the comment about the helpful doctors, that is so correct! Pick up the phone if you're standing right there and it's ringing off the hook...fix her stockings, give her an extra pillow. I'm not saying spend all day with one patient when you have 100 of them, but if it is easy for you to do, within your means, and will take you 2 minutes, why not?

More
14 years 5 months ago #65906 by PremedRN

Originally posted by lauriesalRNC:
ALOT of nurses cant afford daycare. LIke I said, I paid over $800 a month for PART TIME childcare. I am per diem on labor and delivery and I work about 32 hrs a week and last year I made under $50k. I dont think that is much money considering what we do. We have a lot of respnsibility not to mention liability and we make about as much as the men you see collecting your trash on trash day. Yes, trash men make about as much as a nurse, at least where I live they do.

Having to stay up all night sucks for everyone. Yes for doctors too. You are a different breed in that you understand how much it sucks... but a lot of docs just flat out dotn care that we have been awake for 24+ hrs. And yes we have off 4 days a week BUT those days are spent either A- sleeping b/c we were up for 24+ hrs prior to that or B- staying up ANOTHER 12 + hrs until our spouses get home to take over the kids so you can FINALLY go to bed. It's not as great as it seems!

All of this being said... I still wouldnt be anything else in the world if I could choose another profession :0)

In my area, daycare is not as expensive as $800/mo. for full-time, depending on the number of children of course but definately not for one child.

More
14 years 5 months ago #65907 by Lindsey
I just don't see why there's any doctors vs nurses issues. As an intern in my 3rd month, I can't say enough positive things about the nurses that I work with. They can be SO helpful if we interns are willing to acknowledge that in some areas their expertise exceeds ours. I think we definitely have a knowledge base that nurses just don't have, but nurses' experience with patients is a resource that can 1) save us lots of time and 2) benefit our patients greatly. Knowledge only gets you so far in treating patients.

linz

Moderators: TexasRoseMTaylorefex101
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!