× Debates, Issues & Talk

Chaperones fro Pelvics

More
15 years 4 months ago #66005 by maggie52
How many of ALWAYS use chaperones for pelvic exams ( assuming my viewers are female physicians...)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #66006 by kthoms0319
Never. Although I know I'm "supposed" to.

More
15 years 4 months ago #66007 by chylothorax
Always, but I don't do that many pelvic exams. I rarely have a chaperone for rectal exams or male genital exams or breast exams (and I do a lot more of those).

More
15 years 4 months ago #66008 by blt
How many ask to have a nurse or other health care employee in the room when they're having a pelvic exam? I never have. Even with my old male ob/gyn.

Interestingly, since I've been in Canada I've never been asked if I'd wanted a chaperone. Any other Canadians out there who have had the same or a different experience? I wonder if it's because Canada isn't as litigious as the US? Maybe it's because my new doctor is a female?

More
15 years 4 months ago #66009 by kthoms0319
Okay, so here's my question. When I see adolescent boys for physicals, and do a genital exam, I ask their mothers to step out of the room.
Does anyone ask a chaperone to step in at that point? In my office, it'd automatically be another woman, so I think it might just make them feel MORE embarrassed, not more secure.

More
15 years 4 months ago #66010 by rydys
I usually have the parents stay in the room for the genital exam. I have the parent turn around and have the boy turn his back to his parent and just open his zipper--on the teenagers that is usually enough room to do a good exam.

Moderators: TexasRoseMTaylorefex101
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!