× Family & Parenting

2010 Pregnancy updates

More
9 years 2 months ago #76935 by southernmd
An update....

So I'm 60 to 65 percent effaced, a 1 dilated, and at a -1 in station due to a very nice drop my little boy decided to do (YAY)!!!

I also discussed how to manage my test and what happens if I do go to 41 weeks. I'm not a fan of elective induction, but I also understand what a favorable Bishop score can mean. I discussed that it was very important to me to have the two weeks at Christmas to be a mom and not to have to push my test to January if I delivered too late this block and wasn't able to take the test before the school broke for the holidays. I also didn't want to cut short my break either.

Anyway - we discussed possibilities, and we decided that we will induce one day after my due date if it comes down to that, and I also told my doctor to help me make good decisions about being open to changing my mind on that if I needed to etc. I trust him and his judgement medically, but I also expressed that I really am willing to risk an increased C-section risk if it means I get to be just a mom on break from school for two weeks to my newborn. I actually started tearing up a little talking about. I guess I didn't know how I was really going to feel about all of this pressure and birth decisions etc. until I was in this place.

Anyway - he is seriously one of the best OB's I've ever met, and I trust him implicitly, so we are going to make the best decision we can together. And we are both hoping he comes early! I'd really really really really really like for him to come this week since we have a brief Thanksgiving break this week, and it would still allow me to heal and take the test and be done with it on time too.

I'm going to maybe jump a little today (haha), and my husband said he'd let me buy into the old wive's tales and he'd get me some eggplant parm from an Italian restaurant (a legend in my area about that food for delivering).

My little boy is almost ready to be here, and I'm so dying to meet him too! I just want it to happen this week and I am hoping he decides to just go ahead and come!

Anyway - long winded, but I am working hard, studying hard, and I'm still taking time to have some fun too. My school has a Thanksgiving dinner tonight, and I'm going to go eat with my class and the faculty. I've seen friends, and my husband is taking me to a movie after I finish studying on Tuesday night. So I'm trying to have a balance, but I am still studying Pulm really really hard also.

Hope you guys are cool with me using this thread as a personal update venue also. I think it makes me feel better to write out what's going on also. It's hard to know how to handle all of these pressures/changes/last minute feelings. About to be a FTM, and this task feels very daunting. Seems like medical school is worlds easier than handling the pressure of being days away from being responsible for a little boy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #76936 by SW to MD
Good luck Southern! It really goes so, so fast once they are here. My little peanut is already two months old!

Sending speedy labor vibes your way!

As for Peanut, she goes back in for removal of the distractors this next week, ear tube placement, and a hearing test while sedated. Quick 1-2 day stay and back home, which will feel weird in a good way.

Now if only I hadn't spent the last month learning all about bacteria and hospital-acquired infections. :cool:

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy - MLKJ

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #76937 by southernmd
Thanks SW to MD! Yay for Peanut!!! Meaning - removal of distractors, and I'm sure everything else will go smoothly, but we'll be excited to hear updates once she's back home. :)

How funny - I just opened this board to make a similar post, because I am reading about RSV right now, and we have a lot of bugs in general this phase...it is making me freaked out. I can't imagine how crazy I'd be if I were a third-year on peds rotation right now.

Is medicine going to make me a crazy, calling-the-answering-service-of-my-pediatrician mom? Possibly. Sigh. How funny that our ped we picked is married to my med school faculty advisor. Not only does her husband get to hear my mental breakdowns over grades, plans, boards, future etc., but now she gets my after hours phone calls about whatever crazy disease I will think my newborn has.

LOL. Hopefully, I'll hold the sanity together, so I don't come off too TOO crazy. HA!
Last Edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

More
9 years 2 months ago #77009 by nontradmedstuden
Hello!
I've been reading this website since I applied to medical school in 2007 and even though I don't regularly post, I love reading all of your posts. Anyways, I thought it was finally time to speak up and introduce myself... I'm a third year student at an east coast md program, I'm married, 35, and probably going into emergency medicine. And I just got a positive pregnant test - I'm due July 30, 2011. So here I am - thrilled, scared and intermittently nauseous.

More
9 years 2 months ago #77010 by sahmd
Welcome, nontrad! Congratulations...and you can also post here, as your pregnancy will span 2 calendar years:

www.mommd.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topic...s_for_2011#Post76417

More
9 years 2 months ago #77019 by SW to MD
Welcome nontrad! Hope all is going well on rotations!

Peanut has her next surgery on Wednesday... only a few more days with metal covering her lower jaw (under the skin, but still!). I am excited to get past another step in this process. But also nervous, as we just found out this past week that she is extremely nearsighted. Like my prescription is a -5.25, and when I do not wear contacts/glasses, objects are fuzzy teddy bears at best. Her eyes are -16 and -18; definitely needs glasses. So we are probably looking at a diagnosis of Sticler syndrome- not horrible, as it doesn't have developmental delays or major medical issues associated with it (past the current ones), but not what we were hoping for either.

*sigh* So more tests and more appointments. But, we are taking it a day at a time- it is a challenge, and we will rise to the occasion.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy - MLKJ

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!