× Family & Parenting

2010 Pregnancy updates

More
8 years 11 months ago #77100 by Emily2651
Yay!

Happiest Baby on the Block was very useful, I thought. We also had a swaddle blanket called Miracle Blanket or something like that, and it was awesome. White noise is good too; you can buy a fancy baby white noise maker, but we used a little radio in the crib, tuned to static. My husband called it "baby crack".

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea. -- Isak Dinesen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #77101 by asunshine
Congrats, Southern! I second all the suggestions above, although with newborns that's sometimes just the way it goes. They don't have day and night it's just this all day long nap/awake/nap/awake cycle. It's so hard to try to nap during the day! It does get markedly better around 4 weeks.

merri....where's merri?? ;)

More
8 years 11 months ago #77103 by lyn2006
congrats! I agree with the happiest baby on the block book - but since clearly you won't be reading that now, I'll summarize :)

Swaddle- I used some special wrap sometimes and it was nice because you don't have to think in the middle of the night. He's velcroed in tight!

Sucking- are you doing pacifiers? We started around 2 weeks and it was fine. If he was fussier we might have started earlier. He has managed to get all breastmilk and is 10 months old so I think it's baby-dependent on how much it matters for their latch... And if it saves your sanity and sleep it might be worth it to introduce sooner!

Side/stomach position- less helpful for my baby, I often held him chest to chest. Try different things and see what he likes.

Swinging- OMG my hips would get sore from swinging him in the middle of the night. But it helped. I stood in one place and swung back and forth and then would switch sometimes to rotating my hips in a circle. Pretty good workout...

Shushing- get right next to his ear and shush pretty loudly. If he's screaming, shush even louder.

And the vibrating chair was a miracle for us. I don't think I would have showered until my son was 3 months old otherwise. Don't feel bad about having him only fall asleep in your arms or in the chair/swing/vibrating device! I thought for awhile my son would never fall asleep on his own but he happily goes to bed in his crib independently now.

Hang in there! It gets better and soon you'll even forget how tiring it is to have a newborn!

More
8 years 11 months ago #77106 by Docmomof4
Congratulations! Can't wait to hear the birth story! My suggestion after three-swaddle the heck out of them. We had swaddle blankets with the second two but used regular blankets with the first one. My first also really liked the swing-she slept in there for the first three months. My second had reflux, so she slept in her carseat in the crib for 5 months. She slept best in there, i think bc she couldn't flail herself awake with an arm twitch or something. Make sure you are burping him well, too. Also, if he was circumcised, that may be bothering him?

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #77107 by southernmd
THANK YOU all! I just sent the entire thread to my husband via email, so he can start helping me - I'm studying right now, but popped on to share bc I am so excited....

MY MILK CAME IN!

I am so happy! My grandma and my sister had problems breastfeeding so I was worried, but after a lot of pain - we are finally to a place where he is latching, eating, and I am not wanting to crawl the walls in pain! And there is now milk!!!
Last Edit: 8 years 11 months ago by .

More
8 years 11 months ago #77108 by kpzr/9145
Congratulations! Now you can just nurse, nurse, nurse (like you haven't already been doing nothing else...) Often once the milk is in, the baby is a lot happier...the great thing about nursing is it leaves you one free hand to do something else. I just got used to only having one free hand when mine were little, at least then I could read or do some other things...just don't cook while you are nursing! Anyway congratulations and don't forget to take care of yourself...

kpzr

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!