× Family & Parenting

Single Mom and Medical School

More
9 years 3 months ago #74975 by summy2886
So I have some questions because my baby is almost due and I am starting to freak out about school...typical I suppose.

I am 23 and will be in medical school in two years. I am an excellent student and have always worked through it, but I know that with medschool that I will be surviving on loans because there is no way I will be able to take care of her and do school right.

I guess what I am wondering is if there are any women out there that did medical school while having a young child in their tote...and single(long story). I know that daycare is available during the hours of school, but I worry that I will not give her the attnetion that she needs...due to studying and what-have-you.... and then residency.

I know that I can do this on my own because I have done my whole adult life on my own, but I am looking at medical schools that are not near family or friends, so doing the juggling act with be a long one.

I would appreaciate advice, tips...anything really helps. Maybe assurance that it can be done because my mind is SO preoccupied with what's going to happen when I ave to pull a 36 hour shift or night calls....

Thanks.

Summer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #75051 by studentmamasf
I have the same concerns. My daughter is in preschool now and by the time I begin medical school she will be in elementry. I worry about it because I am a single mom, and have been on my own since I was about sixteen.

We can do it. :) Just find a great caregiver for your daughter and you will be just fine.

More
9 years 3 months ago #75203 by emmd2012
I know this girl who had twins right at the end of undergrad. She sat out a year before starting med school as a single mom. Superwoman!

More
9 years 2 months ago #75215 by residentmom
I strongly reccomend doing med school near supportive family, if at all possible. Daycares are not open at 4 am when you are leaving for surgery rotation, or at 9 pm, when you are dragging home from an ER shift. They are not open when you do overnight calls, and they will not take your child when she is sick. If you are truly on your own raising this baby, then you will need a network of reliable support, no question. Good luck!

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
9 years 2 months ago #75226 by twinmom
I only did one week of my third year sans husband, and it was very difficult. Mind you, this was even just IM on the ID service. Hours were 7-5 or so; we had the sitter come at 6:30, then get them to school in the morning, and I picked them up from aftercare. Way hard. I normally am not the one making lunches, but this time I was. It was the last week of school, so they didn't have school on Friday, and the sitter was there the whole time - she commented on what a long day it was... I laughed and said this was an easy rotation. The amazing part was that the house didn't get any messier. I'd highly recommend a nanny - if your parents are anything like mine, they'll feel put upon really quickly. Mine are already annoyed at me regarding the away rotation near them that I'm doing in August, when the kids will be at day camp all day! (My husband's summer is full of conferences, so I need to rely on the help of my parents, which is less than ideal.)

The single mom in my class has her child living out of state with her mother. She misses him terribly.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!