× Family & Parenting

Time-Management issues!

More
9 years 1 month ago #76458 by FuturaDoctora
[color:#3366FF]I have been struggling to find the right time to study/do homework while being at home after 8 hrs of work. I come home tired and only feel like sitting on the couch and watch t.v. (for a while)
I admit that I never exercise and I always feel tired and sleepy. Anyway I moved on because things need to get done around the house so I cook or clean, But I can't complain because I get a lot of help from husband.
Living in a small apt. doesn't help either and since we had a child, the house is never quite, there is always t.v. in the background, child running and screaming, child playing with daddy loudly. I tried to go to my room, closed door, but my child doesn't understand that mommy needs to study and she tells me that she wants to be with me and wants to play with me, or stay in the room and I can't concentrate. I feel guilty!!!!!!!!!!!! and end up playing with child for ah hour. Then I don't feel like studying at 9 p.m because I am exhausted :crazy:
I know I am full of excuses for studying, I get good grades can't complain but I want to improve my studying habits before it hurts my GPA, I only take one or two classes so things are not that bad.
I can't afford losing my job and feel that my house is not longer the quite place I need in order to study well and concentrate.

If things are like this now that my child is 4 y.o, I can't imagine how it would be If I go to Med. School with time management issues!
Can someone give me some good advice about

How do you manage your time wisely to study?

PLEASE HELP![/color]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #76471 by ohiomommd
I'm not sure if this will help your situation, but can you wake up really early and study in the morning? One solid quiet hour might be worth 3 tired hours at night....
Last Edit: 9 years 1 month ago by .

More
9 years 1 month ago #76481 by jonesie
Yes, finding other times to study sounds like a good option. Do you have a lunch hour you could review things during, or time during a commute?

I have always tried to make it a point to be home when I'm home. If I was studying at home it was early morning or late night when noone was up. Otherwise, I was at the library or coffee house, etc. Too many distrations at home (including the fridge!)

Exercise will likely help too, but you already know that!

And it really does have more to do with the quality of the studying and not the quantity. Good luck!

More
9 years 1 month ago #76484 by Doc201X
Not only do I find that exercise helps me tremendously but exercising first thing in the morning has significantly decreased the tiredness I used to fell after working 8 hours. Morning exercise also eliminates my need for an evening nap!

One more thing you may want to consider is changing your work schedule. I went from 8-5 to 7:30 to 4 and I can't tell you how much of a difference this makes! I have more than enough time in the evening to do everything I need to do like cook, clean, and study.

One final comment is that when I had my daughter, I was a full time grad student AND full-time Chemist. I pretty much had to "train" her to play on her own with me right there. So, I'd sit her in her play pen with her favorite toys while I studied. I always break for 15 mins for every 45 mins I study so during my break time, I would play with her.

It worked out great, but then she wasn't a demanding or fussy baby/child at all. Not sure how it would have worked had she been either demanding or fussy!

My Scientist/Physician Journey
www.Doc201X.blogspot.com

More
9 years 1 month ago #76487 by sarahG63
I second the early morning or later at night studying. Quality over quantity. Maybe you could set up a little desk in the living room area where all of your school stuff is already organized/ready to go. That way when you get up a little earlier in the morning, you can just go and plop down right there with your coffee and start reading. It always takes me forever to get set up/organized/prepared for studying, and if you only have an hour to spare in the morning than having all of that taken care of can be a great time saver. Could you put the baby to sleep an hour earlier at night? I don't know if that works or not seeing as I am not a mother yet (just trying to conceive).

And for energy, I find that exercise helps as well as snacking on fresh things while I study to keep my sugar up (like fruit and veggies, baby carrots are a fav, as are grapes) instead of things like goldfish, cheezits, etc.

Best of luck to you and hang in there, you can do it!

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #76504 by FuturaDoctora
[color:#000099] Thank you Ladies for your replies!
Everything that you guys said makes a lot of sense to me, I know it will be a little bit hard for me to get used to waking up an hour earlier since I am a sleepyhead (But it's time to grow-up and mature now that I am 22 y/o).
I work from 7-3:20 p.m. Mon-Frid. And let me tell you that waking up at 6:30 is not enough with a child and a husband!
Today I made the change: woke up at 5! got ready for work earlier than usual, clean some mess, and read. whooohooooooo!
It's 8:00 am and I feel so ready for the day! :grin:

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SUCH A GREAT ADVICE
I am going to try really hard to stick to this schedulle to study, the cleaning can wait.
The time is now to change some old bad habits. :) [/color]
Last Edit: by .

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!