× Family & Parenting

breastfeeding during shots?

More
8 years 7 months ago #78113 by rydys
In my experience (hundreds of patients and 7 of my own), the best way is to give the shots as fast as possible, then BF immediately. I have given shots while mom was BF, but it is physically awkward and takes longer to give the shots. When baby is held "sitting" on mom's lap, like she is the chair, with me sitting facing her, I can give 3 shots in about 5-10 seconds. It then takes me another 10-15 seconds to wipe up the thighs and put on bandaids, and baby is BF before he takes the next breath.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #78114 by rydys
In my experience (hundreds of patients and 7 of my own), the best way is to give the shots as fast as possible, then BF immediately. I have given shots while mom was BF, but it is physically awkward and takes longer to give the shots. When baby is held "sitting" on mom's lap, like she is the chair, with me sitting facing her, I can give 3 shots in about 5-10 seconds. It then takes me another 10-15 seconds to wipe up the thighs and put on bandaids, and baby is BF before he takes the next breath.

I also usually advise to wait and see if the baby needs tylenol before giving a dose. Most babies do not need it at all, and those that do don't usually need it before 4-5 hours, when an immediate dose will have worn off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!