× Family & Parenting

How important are med schools?

More
8 years 9 months ago #78182 by pulpo
While only you (and your BF) can really make this decision, you need to sit down and figure out what's going to make you happy in the long run. I'm a firm proponent of keeping the family together if you're married and have kids but when you don't have that kind of commitment from him, I think anything is fair game. I was in your shoes sort of many years ago. I ended up going to one of the ivy med schools in NYC while my college boyfriend of 3 yrs stayed in Boston for work. We broke up about 3 months into 1st yr and one of the reasons he cited for our breakup was that I chose my career over him though I chose the school that I got into that was closest to him. Our breakup gave me the time/energy to focus on learning and I found that I loved the school and going into medicine. I am now happily married to another physician whom I met during residency and we have 3 great kids so I have no regrets. My husband has been offered much better positions with better pay/advancement elsewhere but we've stayed put because there wasn't great job there for me. Relationships take sacrifice on both sides. I think I would have regretted going to another school and I do think the names on my diplomas have opened a lot of doors for me. I am in an academic position so you have to understand I have a different perspective, but we interview applicants for residency and I can tell you that pedigree does matter to some extent if you're applying in a competitive field.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #78199 by op007
Thanks you guys.
You've been so helpful.

More
8 years 8 months ago #78504 by sheldon
Always follow you dreams, if he is supportive enough he wouldn't mind the long distance relationship that you guys might have anyways going into med school would really entail a lot of sacrifice and compromises with your relationship especially with all the studying that you have to do. It is never a good idea to depend your future on a relationship that you say you have doubts or unsure of since in the end you will have to make your own decisions on how you can be happy and fulfilled with the path that you have chosen. It is a personal decision that you would have to take full responsibility of.

More
8 years 8 months ago #78598 by op007
So, I'm going to ivy...
I just didn't have enough faith in our relationship to take this kind of risk. I really really wish things worked out better.
I am angry that when we lived one block from each other that he didn't cherish me and build a more substantial relationship. Now, that opportunity is past. If he proposed to me today, i won't accept give how thin our relationship. Since our relationship is not at that level, I must go with my own choice.

More
8 years 8 months ago #78603 by sahmd
Good for you!

More
8 years 8 months ago #78604 by southernmd
You sound like such a strong woman! Good luck to you in medical school ...at your fabulous medical school may I add! :)

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!