× Family & Parenting

Parenting books

More
8 years 4 months ago #79985 by Emily2651
I recently read Tom Hodgkinson's "The Idle Parent" and it basically blew my mind. So now I'm wondering what other awesome parenting books are out there that I'm missing.

Care to share your favorite?

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea. -- Isak Dinesen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #79986 by Emily2651
PS. I hate Dr. Sears, What to Expect, Amy Chua. ;)

More
8 years 4 months ago #79993 by **DONOTDELETE**
I just ordered the Hodgkinson book!

My favorite parenting book of all time:

Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn. He is a genius. He also has written several other great books.

More
8 years 4 months ago #79995 by Emily2651
You're going to love it, esp as a homeschooling mama. It's become a running gag in our house, as in: "I really got my Idle Parent on this morning. I slept in until 9 AM while [our three year old son] played by himself and made his own breakfast."

I'll look for the Kohn book the next time I'm at the library, thanks.

More
8 years 4 months ago #79999 by AmmaMD
Ah, I enjoyed the idle parent, as well.

This isn't a parenting book exactly, but... "Raising America" seriously changed my worldview. It's a history of childraising advice over the last century, focusing less on the actual advice given during each era and more on the one or two major figures of each 10 to 20 year span, how they ended up as "experts", and where they got their ideas from. AMAZING. Really helped make me a dramatically more chill parent - and was a useful book to read as someone who's a part of the profession that's been handing out a lot of this this semi-scientific medicalized-parenting advice.

The Blessings of a Skinned Knee was, I thought, quite good - it's officially from a religious (Jewish) perspective, but I didn't feel like that actually had much impact on the extent to which I could relate to it at all. Pretty different from the Idle Parent, though =).

I liked Unconditional Parenting a little less - but perhaps because I was already very familiar with (and actually really appreciative of!) the core idea, so mostly I just kept getting annoyed by what I felt was a sort of over-the-top and egotistical presentation of it.

People I know have been reading Brain Rules for Baby a lot lately - it's interesting in that the idea is supposed to be to just take all the "evidence based" info on how to raise smart/happy/successful/good kids and portray it in a scientifically accurate way. It does better in some places than others, I think, but it is interesting.

Last thought - one thing that has also changed my world is discovering that I can check out, read, and return library books entirely from my (android) phone. AWESOME! This means I always have it with me... I can read in the dark in bed / while nursing / in a boring seminar... and I never have to actually have time to make it to the library / return the book on time. (Not that I don't love going to the physical library and reading physical books as well, but... hey, I'm an intern with a toddler! What are you going to do?)

Good idea for a thread - I look forward to seeing others' suggestions!

More
8 years 4 months ago #80002 by lyn2006
Wait, is there an app to take out library books? How does that work?? CAn I get it on my iPad??

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!