× Family & Parenting

Intern soon and baby not sleeping through night!

More
8 years 4 months ago #79987 by Dr.MoM
Hello all!

So, orientation is in 2 weeks and officially starting residency...

My baby still doesn't sleep through the night. He eats every 3 hours. I've pushed him to eat at 9PM and then 1AM instead of midnight. I've been told to do the cry it out method but it seems so harsh. The first time I tried, when I finally got up and put the paci in his mouth, he sniffled for the next 10 minutes while going to sleep. I felt terrible.

Is CIO the best method? What else can I do?

(I searched the forum and couldn't find this topic anywhere else)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #79988 by Dr.MoM
oh, my baby is 6 months old

More
8 years 4 months ago #79990 by Emily2651
Unfortunately I don't think it's at all unusual that your little guy isn't sleeping through the night yet. We did sleep train my son, but that was around 10 months. On the upside, at least you can't work more than 16 hours in a row next year. I'm an IM resident and I participated in my program's wards restructure pilot last month. Granted, I don't have an infant right now but the new schedule was a breeze compared to the old Q4 structure.

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea. -- Isak Dinesen

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #79991 by **DONOTDELETE**
I went back to work in the ICU as a third-year resident (Q3 call) when my first child was ten weeks old. This was way before work-hour restrictions.

I couldn't stomach listening to him cry, so I just continued breastfeeding him around the clock when I was home. When I was on-call my husband did the same. At work I was pumping as often as I could. It was very hard producing milk in the ICU call room knowing I could get interrupted by a crisis at any moment. I told myself that it was preparing me for future rigors as a physician and a parent.

It was extremely tiring but it was important to us to do it that way. I don't recall exactly when he started sleeping for longer stretches but it wasn't before age one year. Until then we fed him on-demand, 24/7.

I wish you the best. Do what feels right to you. It will be okay no matter how you work it out. You have to assess your own energy level and decide what you can and can't do.
Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by .

More
8 years 4 months ago #79997 by AmmaMD
I coslept and night nursed through most of my intern year. I loved it. When you're cosleeping, night nursing is no big deal at all (in fact, it's a wonderful way to fall asleep yourself!). It also let me feel like I was "spending time with her" even when I'd come home after she was asleep and was leaving before she was awake. It also SIGNIFICANLY decreased how much I had to pump during the day to keep up with her - I would pump on call shifts, though. Overally, it worked really well for us.

(standard caveat: cosleeping is a highly charged topic, and everyone has to make their own decision, here - we followed ALL rules, sleeping on a mattress on the floor, with no blankets or pillows at all for anyone for many many months, no smoking home, neither parent allowed to sleep in bed after so much as a shot of robitussin, etc)

More
8 years 4 months ago #80000 by lyn2006
I was an intern last summer with a 4 1/2 month old, starting Q4 overnight call in the ICU my first month... and I let him cry it out before I left. I guess it sounds a bit harsh compared to all the above posters but I had some rough months coming up (medicine wards, trauma surgery, general surgery, more ICU) and I was going to be gone a lot so I wanted to him to go to bed easily.

I think we did the cry it out for bedtime at 3 months old or so, since we knew what was coming. It wasn't too bad - the first night he cried for only 20 minutes or so (and looking back, it was super quiet crying! haha), then the second night was even easier with like 10 minutes, and since then he has consistently gone to bed without a peep. Now he's 16 months and we put him in his crib, give him his blankie and stuffies, and he talks to himself or reads until he falls asleep. We can even bring him other places pretty easily!

I nursed him in the middle of the night until he was about 6 months old, but when he started having some random nights that he slept through, I let him cry it out in the middle of the night a couple of times and since then he's slept through the night. It made intern year a lot easier not having to worry about coming home post call and not getting any sleep.

Co sleeping wasn't an option for us since he is the noisiest sleeper and moves around so much.

Becuase he stopped nursing at night when he started sleeping through, I actually pretty much stopped nursing completely and just pumped for the next 5 or so months. He got breast milk for a year, but with me gone so much he got so many bottles and started refusing the breast.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!