× Family & Parenting

MSIII pregnant & needing advice

More
8 years 2 months ago #81230 by ohiomommd
Hi. so glad you've got some plans in the works!!

I agree if you can, better to do IM / family / peds whatever you're interested earlier, and surgery later (while very pg or after applications).

Also agree not to worry about step 2. You'll totally figure it out when you get there. It is not like step 1 :-)

Incidentally, I know the rules are different now, but I took my Step2 CK 8 months pregnant, fall of my 4th year. I promise I'd forgotten lots of surgery by then.

AND I did OBgyn 7-8 months pregnant. Since it was so late in my training and obviously not needed for recs (I was interviewing for psych then), I was respectful, participated, but was able to point out to the residents that really, being used as a human retractor to hold a paralyzed leg up during surgery that I couldn't see and was pretty tired for anyway was just not educational! I high passed.

Finally, if you're going to take a year off sometime, my own opinion is it's easier between ms3 and ms4 than between ms4 and internship. (certainly women have survived in both situations). MS4 is not designed to be as confidence-shaking nor responsibility-laden as internship, so even though it's hard, you could design an elective to get back into the swing of things and then even do an AI... jumping into residency from a year off or in research sounds daunting to me.

You're gonna' be fine...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #81241 by AmmaMD

ohiomommd wrote: Finally, if you're going to take a year off sometime, my own opinion is it's easier between ms3 and ms4 than between ms4 and internship. (certainly women have survived in both situations). MS4 is not designed to be as confidence-shaking nor responsibility-laden as internship, so even though it's hard, you could design an elective to get back into the swing of things and then even do an AI... jumping into residency from a year off or in research sounds daunting to me.

Yes, I would agree with this. My only hesitation would be if you're coming back from a year off to do your most critical rotations for match - one of the reasons it would be nice to get them out of the way if you were able to do so. Of course, "I just came back from a year off for personal family reasons" goes a long ways, too. It just makes it a little harder.

ohiomommd wrote: You're gonna' be fine...

YES!

More
8 years 1 month ago #81246 by Sarahdoc
Thank you. Right now I'm leaning toward taking the year off between 3rd and 4th year. This would have me coming back for 4th year to do whichever remaining cores I lack and my electives. I like the idea of holding off on my surgery rotation until I get back...although I'm not sure how I feel about doing it with a 1 and a half year old.

My FM rotation is actually in a rural setting (in my hometown) with a very understanding doctor. I know that it'd be a good rotation to ease back into everything but when you guys discuss the concern is it based on getting letters of recommendation/step 2? If I did my rotations as planned I'd be finished with Family in August of 2013. At this point I would probably only lack a couple more weeks of my IM rotation that needed to be complete sometime during 4th year. This is assuming I stuck out surgery while pregnant.

So many options. I know my scheduled FM rotation is going to be lots of Rx writing and learning everyday procedures. It might be a good option while SUPER pregnant (leading into my due date). I've worked with the doctor before and know he would be understanding about the entire situation.

Once again, thank you everyone for your input. This helps a lot...especially since I really don't feel well this week. :-)

More
8 years 1 month ago #81248 by megboo
I'm on surg right now and 21 weeks pregnant. I start IM at 27 weeks and will end around 37-38 weeks, unless I pop first. So yeah, I'm doing it LOL.

I would recommend doing surgery sooner than IM because of the stamina required, otherwise with a fairly uncomplicated pregnancy it's not too bad.

"Some of it's magic and some of it's tragic but I had a good life all the way."<br />- He Went to Paris by Jimmy Buffett

More
8 years 1 month ago #81264 by tr_
If you can put surgery late in your second trimester and it fits with your plans generally, I would go for that over doing it later. I think many women find that the worst part of pregnancy is actually the first trimester (max nausea and fatigue). (Plus nobody cuts you any slack because they can't tell you are pregnant.)

Second trimester there is often a break from those, you aren't too big yet, it's the best time to get things done. Third trimester you can be kind of slow (esp if you are getting a lot of Braxton-Hicks) but I would still probably choose to load to that time over any time when you actually have a child to care for.

More
8 years 1 month ago #81265 by megboo
Yeah, I started surg at just a week or 2 into my 2nd trimester, and while I never really had any morning sickness, I did feel a lot better by then in general.

I just knew I did not want to have a newborn and be on surg or IM. I can handle a 2-month to 5-month old on family medicine and psych though.

"Some of it's magic and some of it's tragic but I had a good life all the way."<br />- He Went to Paris by Jimmy Buffett

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!