× Family & Parenting

MSIII pregnant & needing advice

More
8 years 1 month ago #81268 by Sarahdoc
Yeah, I'm thinking it will make the most sense to do surgery while pregnant just to get it over with. I will definitely be showing (around 22-30wks) and then do as much IM as possible until I pop.

My family rotation will be very easy going...I guess I'm just curious if finishing up my FM rotation in Aug of 2013 is too late for that residency cycle? I think my FM doc would be an easy way to ease back into working because he's very family oriented and I already have a relationship established with him.

Also, would it be impossible to take Step 2's with only a month of IM under my belt?

Thanks for everyone's responses. I wish I could say that I wasn't having morning sickness but I honestly feel sick as a dog every day. Hoping my hormones start balancing a bit more soon. The doctor asked me today if I was having any of the following: nausea, vomiting, dizzy spells or headaches. Unfortunately I have them all. I think I can handle them all except the dizziness...I've thought I was going to pass-out a couple times in front of patients for no reason at all. Really unnerving.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #81270 by southernmd
I just had a lecture on CAM medicine in my family rotation...

Actual real ginger is proven to hit the same receptors as Zofran. Try that - it is cheaper and less side effects vs. Zofran. Make yourself a big thing of steeped tea with it, and then chill it, dilute it, sweeten it if that's your thing, and you have something that should help nausea. Literally just had a lecture on this, and the physician who taught it did an Integrated Med fellowship out in Arizona. Her daughter does this, because she gets nauseous when she starts something new i.e. made a big batch when she went to college this year.

More
8 years 1 month ago #81271 by southernmd
Unsolicited advice - I know - but I was nauseous every evening when I was preggo, and I totally should have done this.

Go Pubmed some studies on it and see what you think. :)

More
8 years 1 month ago #81277 by AmmaMD
I did surgery with a ~5-8mo old (3 months straight...) and, while it wasn't my favorite thing, since my applications were in and my grades didn't matter... honestly, it wasn't that bad. I pumped q3-4h the entire time (yes, I scrubbed out and back in from a surgery if I had to - people didn't love it, but I didn't present it as a choice, and it was tolerated with minimal obvious anger), took care of my patients and learned what I thought would be useful and then left every chance I got, did fine. And - most importantly - when I was home, I could focus totally on my family. I was very glad to have the rotations where I felt like it was important to read in the evenings (ie, things I needed letters from) out of the way before having a little one around. I would totally do it that way again.

More
8 years 1 month ago #81278 by AmmaMD
(In fact, the ONLY studying I did during my surgery rotation was done while pumping at work - it actually worked rather well, since I could read about whatever was going on with my patients that day, and come back midday suddenly knowing a lot more about what was going on. It looked pretty good day to day, and by the end of the rotation, I knew plenty to pass the exams just fine!)

More
8 years 1 month ago #81290 by megboo
I didn't have much nausea, but when I did I drank Ginger beer (not alcoholic - like root beer for those that don't know what it is). It had the real ginger (not like commercial ginger ale) and tasted great. It also helped a LOT with the nausea :)

I found some ginger chews at Trader Joes made with real ginger and those were good too. They were strong though!

"Some of it's magic and some of it's tragic but I had a good life all the way."<br />- He Went to Paris by Jimmy Buffett

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!