× Family & Parenting

Give up family life...?

More
7 years 10 months ago #83084 by MoreThanMD
Welcome! It's nice to see a male on this site who is just as concerned about the balance of family and work as most of us female members.

I had a classmate in med school who gave up an engineering job at age 42 to go to school. He made it through all 4 years and ended up quitting before finishing his internship, so now he can't practice medicine at all here in the US. And he had over $120,000 in debt. His kids were in 7-8th grade when he started and he seemed to be able to spend time with the during school (they'd all study together in the living room) but he said that it took the 4+ years to figure out that he really didn't want to do medicine.

Your kids are young enough that you will still have time with them even after finishing training, but keep in mind that you will likely miss a lot of things like school functions, sports (if your kids take up soccer of something), helping them learn to read and do homework, etc. over the next 8 years. And they are also young enough that it might be hard for your wife to work outside the home if you need additional income during school. What do the two of you want for your own family life?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #83085 by MoreThanMD
FYI: there is a thread called "Over 40 and applying to medical school" that was recently posted on (so you can find it under Actuve Topics) that has a lot of good info even though it was started over 2 years ago.

More
7 years 10 months ago #83161 by ebby4u
Wow....Hi everyone. It was great going through all of your replies. As MDstudent14 suggested, My wife and I had a serious talk last night and we decided that we could do this together. She is very supportive and is really encouraging me to do my MD. She also told me there will be times when she is going to get mad at me, but that I should just let it go:-))) Yes, Like MoreThanMd has said, missing kids activities were one of the things we talked about. I was talking to a Doctor here just yesterday and she said at times you would actually find yourself sitting at home studying and helping kids with their homework too. My wife especially, loves the times when we are together in the weekends and we sit together with the kids. Something That I am sure we will miss.
Thanks for the input Path201X, You are right, we dont plan to be spending that kind of money either and you did get me thinking when you said you are not going to stop at 65. That really puts the financial aspect of things in a better perspective.
True Megboo, this is a leap I am going to take. Today I call WES to start my credentialing process. I will be in touch with you all and thanks once again for all the support. Y'know, this is the most positive place to be and I guess with all the positive responses we read here, we can surely reach our goals. Thanks again! Have a great season!!

More
7 years 10 months ago #83163 by asunshine

ebby4u wrote: She also told me there will be times when she is going to get mad at me, but that I should just let it go:-)))

This right here tells me that you'll be fine. It is SO important that a couple not only can communicate about these things, but also laugh about it! If you can anticipate your emotions and put a name to them, half the battle is already won.

Good luck to you, ebby! (Sorry about the rant ;). )

More
7 years 10 months ago #83169 by mdstudent14
ebby, Very exciting news! Good luck with the process. Hope to see you around on the boards - keep us updated. :)

More
7 years 9 months ago #83248 by Docmomof4
Good luck to you, Ebby! Come back and join us!!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!