× Family & Parenting

family friendly peds residencies

More
6 years 7 months ago #88610 by ctenj
Hi all,

I'm not 100% sure this is the right place to put this, but I also posted it in the "medical students" forum, then quickly realized that many people who might have this info wouldn't be able to post there...

Just curious if any of you would have info on family-friendly pediatrics residencies (either through personal experience, interviewing, or just info you've heard from others).

To give some context, I'm interested in peds and when I start, I'll have a 5 yo and a 3 yo (and we're open to having more). My husband will be an anesthesia attending by that time so will have a little more flexibility in his schedule, but I'd still like to, of course, be there for them as a mom and a wife in addition to hopefully becoming a great pediatrician.

Due to the locations of both of our families, we're mostly looking on the East Coast (as far north as Maine/NH and as far south as NC/VA), but we're open to other areas as well.

As a note, I think, in general, it could be a great resource to have a list of programs (in all sorts of specialties) that people on this forum have experience with and how they felt about the programs' family friendliness... Just a thought :)

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #88621 by asunshine
The poor woman's way of checking it out would be to search in Frieda for "allows part-time/shared positions". IMO a good indicator as to whether they're flexible. Also check #of hours/week first year.

I don't know why we don't have a running list of great FF residencies. Maybe due to privacy concerns? I am not in peds or on the East Cost, so sorry I can't help more.

More
6 years 7 months ago #88625 by Baby Einstein
I would say small to mid-size, community-based (or at least, not major academic) is your best bet. Anywhere that does not rely mostly on residents to run the hospital (i.e., there are NPs or hospitalists there as well, and your education is prioritized over your service). Larger programs tend to sell themselves as more flexible because of the large number of residents, but that doesn't mean that your daily hours are any better; only that it doesn't affect other people as much if you have to take maternity leave. I am at a large program that does offer part-time or doesn't bat an eye at mat leave (great!) but couldn't be farther from family friendly otherwise. So you can have your baby, but after your mat leave you'll be working 80 hours a week for the full 3 years. Bitter...

More
6 years 7 months ago #88626 by Baby Einstein
Also make sure you look beyond the intern year when looking at programs. I think intern year in peds is hard everywhere, with lots of call and long ward or NICU hours, but many (most?) programs lighten up after that. Stay away from those that don't.

More
6 years 6 months ago #88899 by residentmom
I kind of just assume most peds programs are not too horrible... pediatricians are just nice people, in general. :)

ResidentMom<br /><br />"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." --Jackie O.

More
6 years 6 months ago #88905 by multitasker
I too was looking for a FF peds program. Things I learned: go where there are other residents who are mothers. As you meet residents when you are interviewing, simply ask if anyone in their program has children and how that is handled. People love to talk about their kids, so it is pretty easy to slip it into dinner conversation. I wouldn't ask that at the inverview with attendings.

Do not go to a small program unless you have to--flexiblity is inherantly limited in smaller programs. If your colleage is on maternity leave, who is going to do her work? The other residents split it up and your days would get even less family friendly. 80 hours is 80 hours. No program can legally go more than that but I have not heard of a peds program that goes less than that unless they are large programs.

Yes, pediatricians are nice people but peds residency is brutal. Friends in family medicine or emergency medicine had much more reasonable residencies. Even your ped attendings will not like it that you have to step out of something (after a gazillion hours) to go pump. "you can have a baby and breastfeed just don't let it impact your residency in ANY way" was the nonverbal message I got.

Finding a part-time program may be a good option if you can put in more years. If you can't find a FF peds program on the east coast, it may be helpful to find the one that is closest to your extended families. That support will be invaluable.

Good luck!

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!