× Family & Parenting

family friendly peds residencies

More
6 years 6 months ago #88909 by Baby Einstein
Agree with above. Nice people, not nice residency.
I think you're gonna push the 80 hour limit at most programs on your wards/NICU/PICU months. The key is how much elective or outpatient time you get. And I think small programs are better for that. Strongly disagree that large programs have less hours, quite the contrary (at least mine and a few others where my friends are). Smaller programs/hospitals have all their specialty electives as outpatient; larger programs may make you do your specialty elective on the high-census inpatient service and poof, your specialty or elective just turned into another 80-hour week rotation. Not to mention that you still haven't learned about how to approach murmurs in primary care, but now know a ton about day-to-day management of inter-stage hypoplastic left heart and other rarities, which will be useful to you as a non-cardiologist... never.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #90593 by ElleReid

asunshine wrote: The poor woman's way of checking it out would be to search in Frieda for "allows part-time/shared positions". IMO a good indicator as to whether they're flexible. Also check #of hours/week first year.

What does this "part-time/shared position" verbage actually mean? Surely there isn't such a thing as a part-time residency... One of the programs I am looking very closely at, U of Illinois Peoria says it has this, which I am interested in because I am hoping to have a baby during residency. If I don't get pregnant during residency, I will be in the >35 yo high-risk category. :(

More
6 years 1 month ago #90594 by mohm
There are part time residency positions. Two residents share a position. We have two residents who are sharing a position. They generally do every other rotation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #90596 by ElleReid
So a three-year residency becomes a six-year residency? Do you have to do it all or nothing, i.e. could you do one of your residency years part-time and the rest full time, making a 3-year residency into 4 years? Seems logistically very difficult...

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #90825 by kpzr/9145
I went to a family friendly Pediatric residency program. It is an academic center affiliated with a big Boston medical center. Absolutely loved the entire experience (almost without exception). I chose it for this reason (not just that it was relatively family friendly but it was a pleasant place to be). Plus I got a great education in primary care. I agree with what BE says above about her program teaching specialty management stuff more than basic primary care because my medical school was like that. Anyway, my program had less call than other similar programs (ie q4 instead of q3 on wards/PICU/NICU) and very little call during elective/outpatient months. Not sure why. Maybe it has a smaller PICU than other programs? My program was very much oriented toward outpatient primary care which is what I knew I wanted to do. The fact it was family friendly was secondary to having less emphasis on inpatient/ICU care (less overnight work). Good luck! PM me if you want more information.

kpzr

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #90826 by kpzr/9145
Also it is a large program (currently there are 16 residents per year in Peds plus more on the Med/Peds program) so there was a lot of flexibility in taking time off/switching call etc with others.

kpzr

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101mommd2b
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!